Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sonia Bianchetti Garbato's take on Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Incidentally, Sonia and I have been emailing back and forth about combining our pool of contacts in order to get a record number of people to sign my proposed CoP changes (the closest version that everyone can come to agreement upon anyway) and submit them to ISU as a large coordinated push from a source outside of an individual member Nation. I have submitted in the past, as have others (and we have seen changes here and there as a result), but I believe this would be the most concentrated effort ever since CoP came about.
    How does one join the Pool?

Have you officially joined the "Kostner should have won the LP" train, then? Please say yes. We can't live in a World where you think Alena Leonova deserved 1st.
    No - Miki should have won according to the CoP. I am opining that Kostner had the most beautiful skate of the Ladies. It's just my taste, and I also thought Alene had the most bravado skate of the ladies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I was hoping for more about her dislikes of the CoP. I like it when someone is not afraid to find fault with the system. Others will agree to anything that is CoP sacred.
    I guess she is ok with the scoring this time. I've always liked her. Ha, she didn't even mention three American men who were at the worlds. I guess she doesn't have strong disagreement on Miner's 11th place placement. It's cool that she thinks Patrick should be in first in LP!

Custom Title
    Blades, they shifted the marking for level 4 footwork: .7, 1.4, 2.1 now.

What do those numbers mean: .7; 1.4; 2.1?

I hope they don't mean that expressive anger should be shown as upper body display?

Custom Title
    What do those numbers mean: .7; 1.4; 2.1?

GOE values. Point quivalences of +1, +2, and +3.

I hope they don't mean that expressive anger should be shown as upper body display?
    Didier G. may wish so.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Blades, they shifted the marking for level 4 footwork: .7, 1.4, 2.1 now.
    Yeah, I just read the changes for this upcoming season. Only minor alterations to the current rules. They made it a bit harder to gain levels in spins and they made Level 4 Footwork sequences and the "Choreography" Footwork/Spiral Sequences worth a bit less points. We will still see convoluted footwork and spins. We still still see skaters awarded a large amount of points for very flawed jump attempts. I predict we will especially see a TON of change-of-foot spins where the skater uses a hop to change feet. They forgot to limit that level-gaining feature to once per program.

Hopefully a plethora of people will sign my insightful rule proposals and we will see some massive, much-needed changes for the 2012-2013 season. *pray*

Hopefully a plethora of people will sign my insightful rule proposals and we will see some massive, much-needed changes for the 2012-2013 season. *pray*
    "The mills of God grind slowly." I think major changes are more likely for the 2014-15 season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes--the big rule changes always seem to come (and rightly so) in the first year or two of the quad.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Hopefully there will be many big scoring controversies this season where skaters win competitions because of the points obtained via messy Quads and other jumps, prompting ISU voters to be more receptive towards realizing how stupid the scoring system is right now and being glad that such a heavenly fix to the system fell into their lap. In their desperation to fix the system, they will vote through all of the other beneficial changes I've detailed which are attached to a better scale of values. The thinking will be done for them and all they will have to do is sign on the dotted line.

I just wish the ISU would take a "Whole Package" view of scoring. The nitty gritty CoP is supposed to add up to a Whole Package, but does it? I don't think so. Connecting steps before Jumps is not enough.

...glad that such a heavenly fix to the system fell into their lap. In their desperation to fix the system, they will vote through all of the other beneficial changes I've detailed...
    Yes, that is pretty much what I am expecting, too.

Hopefully there will be many big scoring controversies this season where skaters win competitions because of the points obtained via messy Quads and other jumps, prompting ISU voters to be more receptive towards realizing how stupid the scoring system is right now and being glad that such a heavenly fix to the system fell into their lap. In their desperation to fix the system, they will vote through all of the other beneficial changes I've detailed which are attached to a better scale of values. The thinking will be done for them and all they will have to do is sign on the dotted line.
    BP - I think it is all tied to salaries and other financial woes. They are striking at all the wrong places to get the sport on track again. It's nice that skating buffs are able to see it on computer, and some of the best in show on TV, but is that all it is? Why not get an empresario to oversee how to get the masses interested again.

Why not get an empresario to oversee how to get the masses interested again.
    Just wondering back to the 2010 pre-Olympic Natls, and if an "empressario for the masses" is enough.

Recalling the reaction from NBC commentators and other skating experts about the Ladies result it was clear they were not happy with the CoP judging results.

How in the world are casual US skating fans supposed to feel when Mr Skating USA thought the wrong girl won?

Perhaps if the CoP was more acceptable to skating legends like Scott, Dick, Brian, Peggy, etc the general audience would follow their lead.

But that doesn't seem to be the case

Banned
    Really tough time for skaters, all this CoP stuff. Changes every season.

It is interesting to speculate what would have happened if Sonia Bianchetti had been elected President of the ISU in 1994 instead of Ottavio Cinquanta.

From Bianchetti's point of view, Cinquanta was pushed through on a legal loop-hole as a puppet of the "good old boys gang" headed by the corrupt outgoing dictator Olaf Poulson. (The rule was that there could not be two representatives on the ISU council from the same country. By rushing Cinquata through on the speed-skating side, this disqualified Biannchetti from being a candidate for figure skating.}

Cinquanta immediately hit gold with Nancy and Tonya. He negotiated a twenty-million dollar deal with ABC television and was hailed as a financial wizard. By 2002 he had consolidated enough power to kick Bianchetti out of the ISU altogether.

Cinquanta, along with David Dore, were big CoP proponents even before the Salt Lake City affair. They were forced by the IOC to "do dsomething," but they were going to impose the CoP anyway.

Skating might have taken a different course altogether if Bianchetti had been at the helm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast