No bonus money? | Golden Skate

No bonus money?

cotillion

Rinkside
I read in comm. 1671 that the bonus money has been abolished as of 2010 2011 what's up with that?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I read in comm. 1671 that the bonus money has been abolished as of 2010 2011 what's up with that?

The ISU ran out of money. It was either this or Cinquanta's sofa doesn't get to be reupholstered with baby seal skin. Do you want Speedy's backside to chafe (he's a nudist)? Of course not.

Actually, that communication is worth a read. From here:

http://www5.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-130127-131435-nav-list,00.html

click on #1671.

1. About the bonus money, I am sure it is just cost-cutting. Kind of ironic, though. The purpose of the bonus program was to encourage skaters to do those European B internationals. Now just when we are starting to get het up about maybe holding a B event in North America, the program is dropped. (The bonus thing was also supposed to get more top skaters to do Four Continents, but I never quite figured out how this was supposed to operate -- Worlds placement always outpointed 4C's anyway.)

2. Singapore is in. (I wonder if Michelle Kwan put in a good word for them, after her State Department trip there in January. :) )

3. That wily old entrepreneur Scott hamilton is back on the scene with a new organization, "ICE" (the International Cup of Skating Excellence -- wait a minute, isn't that ICSE? Pronounced "icy," one presumes.)

This is a proposed series of pro-ams, one each in Asia, North America and Europe, featuring old and new world and Olympic medalists. Funding and prize money apparently will be up to Scott to produce, but the ISU gives its blessing "in principle."

4. Hold the phone! Skaters may be allowed to participate in three Grand Prix events next year!

Krislite

Medalist
Actually, that communication is worth a read. From here:

[...]

3. That wily old entrepreneur Scott hamilton is back on the scene with a new organization, "ICE" (the International Cup of Skating Excellence -- wait a minute, isn't that ICSE? Pronounced "icy," one presumes.)

This is a proposed series of pro-ams, one each in Asia, North America and Europe, featuring old and new world and Olympic medalists. Funding and prize money apparently will be up to Scott to produce, but the ISU gives its blessing "in principle."

4. Hold the phone! Skaters may be allowed to participate in three Grand Prix events next year!

These two are the most interesting parts. What's the likelihood Scooty gets the commercial support he needs for these events? Getting sponsors from Korea and Japan will be no trouble. As for Europe maybe Russian companies can pitch in. I don't know about the US, though. We can't even get a TV broadcast of Worlds.

As for seeded skaters doing three Grand Prix events, I have a good feeling skaters don't want to. The season's already busy enough as it is. But then something tells me the ISU will sneak in some new rule so that if a seeded skater withdraws from 1 of the 3, they could jeopardize their chances at the GPF. ;)

It was funny back in the day when three events were allowed. The skaters had to specify in advance which two would count. Then they could enter a third at which they could not earn any points themselves toward making the final, but they could play spoiler by knocking out someone else.

Then there was one year where only pairs teams were allowed three events. This was because there were not enough good pairs teams to go around.

This change and the bonus money may be related. The ISU is taking away the bonus money, but allowing the very top skaters to earn more money by winning three events.

mousepotato

On the Ice
It was funny back in the day when three events were allowed. The skaters had to specify in advance which two would count. Then they could enter a third at which they could not earn any points themselves toward making the final, but they could play spoiler by knocking out someone else.

I hope that changes, I would rather they have the best two out of three.