Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 41 of 41

Thread: Changes to Grand Prix structure for 2011-2012

  1. #31
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    ^^^^
    but why can't they go on with the competition without filling the slots? and why must they fill the slots with seeded skaters? There has to be other Teams to fill those slots besides the seeded. Some Fans want to know why they must use seeded.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Are you asking me? If so, because the ISU instituted a new rule. Is it a good rule? Emphatically not. Can they go on without filling slots? Of course.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,549
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Quirk for pairs

    There are 23 skaters on the SB that qualify. Of those, three teams have split/retired (Denney/Barrett, Y/C and Brodeur/Mattatall). So only 20 teams are eligible for 48 slots. So everyone in the twenty should get two spots. And then there are eight spots left. Assuming the top six does a third competition, you still have two empty slots.

    The hosts should definitely consider reserving a slot for a team not eligible via season's best. Maybe even two slots.
    There are always the host picks. I expect Marley/Brubaker will get a host pick at Skate America. Too bad they are not eligible for an invitation from another host (unless the ISU relaxes the 66.6% Seasons Best rule), as they are less than a point below the required minimum.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There are always the host picks. I expect Marley/Brubaker will get a host pick at Skate America. Too bad they are not eligible for an invitation from another host (unless the ISU relaxes the 66.6% Seasons Best rule), as they are less than a point below the required minimum.
    Exactly. How close is Nebelhorn to Skate America this upcoming season? Because I agree with your earlier comment, that we'll see a swelling of the ranks in early senior B's to get a better result and a placement on the substitution list.

  5. #35
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,788
    My head is spinning.

  6. #36
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    ^^^
    Mine is in fantasyland. I think this is the first step in replacing the GPs with a pre-Worlds look competition for seeded skater only.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    ^^^^
    but why can't they go on with the competition without filling the slots? and why must they fill the slots with seeded skaters? There has to be other Teams to fill those slots besides the seeded. Some Fans want to know why they must use seeded.
    Because the seeded ones are the stars who draw audiences, live and on TV. Other than the most popular team sports, TV shows focus on stars, be they tennis, golf, or car racing. With few exceptions, they don't show non seeded players on TV. The finals and the champions are the highlights or only ones broadcast.

    Even ardent skating fans who are online focus on the top skaters, as evident right in this forum. Whom do people want to see or know more about, Yuna Kim or Agnes Zawadzki?
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 05-08-2011 at 09:15 AM.

  8. #38
    Tanguera feraina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    There is a new minimum score per discipline, based on 2/3s of the the top Seasons Best total score.
    For men, that is roughly 187, which would make only the top 45 men on the SB list eligible for the GP.
    For ladies, 134 - top 50 on the SB list eligible
    For pairs, 145 - top 23 on the SB list eligible, but Marley/Brubaker (at 24) are not eligible
    For dance, 123 - top 35 on the SB list eligible
    I think this means Caroline's Season's Best score (133.86) has her just below the cutoff by 0.14 point? Unless she goes to the new Lake Placid senior B event and gets a better score -- then she could get on the substitute's list. Is Lake Placid definitely happening? And Caroline has a tendency of peaking too late in the season, so without the GP's, she'll probably do even worse at National's. This might really be the last year of Caroline's competitive career.

  9. #39
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Because the seeded ones are the stars who draw audiences, live and on TV. Other than the most popular team sports, TV shows focus on stars, be they tennis, golf, or car racing. With few exceptions, they don't show non seeded players on TV. The finals and the champions are the highlights or only ones broadcast.

    Even ardent skating fans who are online focus on the top skaters, as evident right in this forum. Whom do people want to see or know more about, Yuna Kim or Agnes Zawadzki?
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I would say 90% of the fans who post on skating forums are only interested in the top skaters. Few are interested in skating as a whole. That is why I suggested replacing the GPs with Top Seeded Skaters only with a competition of it's own. That doesn't mean 10% of fans who like the GPs will not miss the up-and-coming skaters.

    I contend the GP Series is the best pre-worlds interntational competition as the opening of the new season and I think it is FAIR to give many skaters a chance to be seen. Some, may well have improved and worth a look, but we will not be able to see their improvements until Worlds, unless there are youtubes of outstanding nonStar skater in their respective nationals.

    Tennis by the way, eliminates large numbers of players as the competitions progress even the Stars, but you knew that didn't you?
    Golf has a series of Pro competitions (the PG Tour) which carries a large roster of contestants.

    However, since the media forcuses on MONEY, you are correct but that doesn't mean that the media will make room for more skating. Let's see how it works out in producing more media attention.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,429
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    How close is Nebelhorn to Skate America this upcoming season? Because I agree with your earlier comment, that we'll see a swelling of the ranks in early senior B's to get a better result and a placement on the substitution list.
    Skate America dates are October 21-23, 2011 and 2011 Nebelhorn Trophy will be held September 21-24 -- announcement is published at: http://www.eislauf-union.de/NebelhornTrophy2011.html

    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I think this means Caroline's Season's Best score (133.86) has her just below the cutoff by 0.14 point? Unless she goes to the new
    Lake Placid senior B event and gets a better score -- then she could get on the substitute's list. Is Lake Placid definitely happening?
    I don't believe there are any new Senior B competitions scheduled in North America for this season but maybe by next season?

    Any new GP selection rules will be published online eventually by the ISU in their 2011-12 Senior Grand Prix Announcement and so, until then, nothing is officially known for certain.

  11. #41
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Skate America dates are October 21-23, 2011 and 2011 Nebelhorn Trophy will be held September 21-24 -- announcement is published at: http://www.eislauf-union.de/NebelhornTrophy2011.html
    They are a month apart so Mar/Bru could skate both if they are up to it.

    I don't believe there are any new Senior B competitions scheduled in North America for this season but maybe by next season?
    Certainly hope so. There are enough nonUS skaters training in America to hold at least one "B" comp and maybe Canada too.

    Any new GP selection rules will be published online eventually by the ISU in their 2011-12 Senior Grand Prix Announcement and so, until then, nothing is officially known for certain.
    That's the bottom line on all this speculation about the revised GPs. Once the official ruling is available, then the debate begins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •