What about the World Team Trophy??? | Golden Skate

What about the World Team Trophy???

essiejane

Rinkside
I thought it was supposed to be a bi-annual competition, but I haven't heard a word about it this year. Did they get rid of it? Is it because of the Japan-related disasters?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought it was supposed to be a bi-annual competition, but I haven't heard a word about it this year. Did they get rid of it? Is it because of the Japan-related disasters?

I believe it was cancelled due to the unfortunate situation in Japan but rescheduled for next season in Japan.

This year the WTT was going to be reviewed for inclusion in the 2014 Olympics. Cincuanta announced that despite the cancellation it was still approved by IOC.

I am not sure about future scheduling or if it will become an annual event.
The original format from '09 did include a few more skaters on each team but the Olympic format has had it reduced to one skater/team for each discipline per qualified country.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do you happen to know how the eligibility of a country for world team trophy in the Olympic event will be determined?

Would it, taking a wild guess, happen to be some number of teams with the lowest scores for their top skater/team in each event added together? Will junior teams be eligible, as they were for World Team Trophy in previous years (Takahashi/Tran last year)?

I'm guessing we'll hear more after this year's documents come out this summer after the ISU meets.

sigrid

On the Ice
The 2011 WTT will be in Japan in April of 2012 as the ISU announced. I'm not sure if they'll keep 2010-2011 results for making the teams or they'll use the new season ones

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I may be flamed for this, but I can't help but think that this "team trophy" is silly. I would much rather see syncro be added then this event. Frankly, there are a whole list of non-skating events I'd rather see added before this event!

First, what country with any good skaters is going to want to send their best or top 3 (assuming they qualified 3 for the olympics) to skate in this event first, THEN skate in the individual events? I see this as a way to get the 3rd or 4th ranked skater a chance to go to the olympics. Maybe it's just me but this whole events seems silly.

austrian_waltz

Rinkside
I may be flamed for this, but I can't help but think that this "team trophy" is silly. I would much rather see syncro be added then this event. Frankly, there are a whole list of non-skating events I'd rather see added before this event!

First, what country with any good skaters is going to want to send their best or top 3 (assuming they qualified 3 for the olympics) to skate in this event first, THEN skate in the individual events? I see this as a way to get the 3rd or 4th ranked skater a chance to go to the olympics. Maybe it's just me but this whole events seems silly.

AMEN TO THAT! I agree with you completely! (make sure check out the other thread!) I think it's superfluous. You can award top teams just by doing the claculations of scores in each discipline - no need to award Olympic medals for this. Bring in synchro or a non-skating sport that is more deserving!

I may be flamed for this, but I can't help but think that this "team trophy" is silly.
I can't help but agree with you. There have been a few attempts at Team competitions but to be honest, I watch them but in a short time, I could not tell you who won them. If a Team does not have entants in ALL disciplines their scores are not going to rise to the winner circle. Fair?