2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

janetfan

Match Penalty
I'm a little surprised that no one has posted this interview with Tai yet, as it seems to go well with this topic. I can't believe I'm the first to see it.
:confused2:

http://figureskating.about.com/od/i...Tai-Babilonia-Talks-About-Us-Pair-Skating.htm

Thanks for the link and even if what Tai has to say seems obvious atleast somebody in the USA is thinking about the crazy situation with the American Pairs teams.

This clip of little Tai and Randy skating together as juniors illustrates her point very well. They did not become successful after a season or two together but only after years of skating together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaf6H_p8IUw&feature=related

clairecloutier

Final Flight
That's a great interview with Tai. I agree with her 100% the USFSA needs to get more involved in U.S. pairs skating. It's clear something needs to be done, especially now with the Olympic team event on the horizon. It'll be difficult to contend in the team event if we can't upgrade our pairs program. This really seems like it needs to be addressed on the governing body level.

For example, did the USFSA make any concerted effort to help Yankowskas/Coughlin (or Denney/Barrett or McLaughlin/Brubaker) work out their issues rather than simply split up? I'm not sure exactly what is needed, but perhaps a combination of 1) more USFSA financial support for promising pairs; 2) an organized mentoring/coaching program with successful U.S. pairs skaters/coaches as suggested by Tai; 3) more active monitoring of promising pairs by USFSA representatives (to help them work out training issues, coaching problems, etc.).

I'd love to hear from current or recent U.S. pairs skaters, or their parents or coaches, on the factors holding back pairs skating in the U.S. It would be great to get the "inside scoop" on this, if you will, from the people involved. I'd love to get insight from someone at USFSA as well.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
This is really ridiculous....when will US pairs realize that it takes many years to build the perfect unison of the Russian pairs? John really had something going with Caitlyn and now that he switched partner, the unison-building must start all over again.

It is definitely one of the stranger stories in skating this year, but I have to admit that they look well matched, from that photo. Until I saw it I wasn't keen on the thought of their partnering up, but now I'm kind of eager to see them.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this. You have the best season of your life with somebody else, dump them, and then go with someone who had the worst season of their career?

JDLutz

Rinkside
As well matched as Denney and Coughlin may be, the odd nature of how this partnership came to be and the fact that a national champion pair was split in the process of this doesnt let me be at all excited for this new team.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well it is official. I have to agree with Spun Silver they do look good together in that photo.
I like John and was disappointed when the "rumors" started about his pairing with Caydee,
but it is sport. Wishing them both well and will be looking forward to see what they can do
together. I hope things work out for Caitlin and she has success in finding a partner.

gold12345

Medalist
My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this. You have the best season of your life with somebody else, dump them, and then go with someone who had the worst season of their career?

I know. As I said before, the timing is really awful because Caitlin and John had such a tremendous season. No matter what happened to cause this, I feel very bad for Caitlin. But I don't think John cared so much about what kind of season he was having with Caitlin-- this new partnership was supposedly in the works well before Worlds.

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Maybe Caitlin can skate with Drew Meekins. He is based in CO springs and from what I remember, he has a very elegant look on the ice.

JDLutz

Rinkside
If what people are saying about the pairing of D/C being in the works before worlds is true, and I might be wrong to say this, but it seems that Dalilah S. was most definitely very involved with the process, it doesnt matter how well of a pairing D/C will make, planning to just leave Caitlin before the season is over seems both irresponsible and just wrong, people are quick to bash John and Caydee, but how much of this was Sappenfield's work? Its a joke that she is even nominated for coach of the year at this point.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If what people are saying about the pairing of D/C being in the works before worlds is true, and I might be wrong to say this, but it seems that Dalilah S. was most definitely very involved with the process, it doesnt matter how well of a pairing D/C will make, planning to just leave Caitlin before the season is over seems both irresponsible and just wrong, people are quick to bash John and Caydee, but how much of this was Sappenfield's work? Its a joke that she is even nominated for coach of the year at this point.

I understand where you're coming from, and I even agree with you, but I think a coach's job is to work towards great results. If she believes deep down that this pair will be better than her last one, then she is just doing her job.

On that note, I have a message for Caitlyn Y- Remember Irina Rodnina.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Boy, I feel ambivalent about the new D/C pairing. Oh, well, I wish Denny, Coughlin, and Yankowskas the best luck.

I'll be rooting for Yankowskas, especially her successful partner search.

R.D.

Record Breaker
My initial thought is that he was leaving a clearly superior partner for someone merely average, but who knows- as bizarre as this whole thing is, perhaps we should give them at least a chance or two before dumping on them...perhaps Coughlin can do a better job of bringing out Denney's strengths than Barrett did.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Administrator - do you think you can revise the title here as something like: "Yankowskas/Coughlin split; Coughlin pairs with Denny"

Just a thought, since the thread discussion clearly started including posters' impressions of the original split as well as the new partnership. I understand the decision is left up to the administrator. Thank you.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Hold on a moment...I don't follow pairs much (which will shortly be obvious) but, let me try and get this straight:

Denny, who was paired with Jeremy Barrett, and who won at least two national titles/one Olympic appearance, trained in S. Florida AND who just had a sub-par season (but otherwise had a bright future), ended said partnership with Barrett (leaving Barrett wanting to skate but looking for a partner) and just paired up with John Coughlin, who after several years on the US Nationals “bubble” (i.e. near/on the podium) left his long-time (by US standards) partner Caitlin Yankowskas (who also still wants to skate but now lacks a partner) and will now skate with Denny in Colorado under the coaching of D. Sappenfield?

Between the four of them, were any looking to retire or take time off? Was there any hint that either partnership was in trouble – other than that Denny or Barrett struggled this season?

After all the press coverage of John and his response to questions about needing time to heal from the death of his mother, I think many could understand if he wanted to dissolve the relationship simply to take time off or even retire – not to go skate with the female half of one of his main competitors.

I can’t help but feel kind of icky about all of this. It just seems uncouth. Something seems off.

Has anyone heard from Barrett or Yankowskas yet? I feel bad for them. Any chance they would pair up?

I guess Denny and Coughlin made their bed, now it’s time to see if they can sleep in it

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
At the time of announcing their split (2/24/2011), Barrett remarked that he planned on coaching as well as show skating. Yankowskas is supposely looking for a new partner.

Last edited: