2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney | Golden Skate

2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

austrian_waltz

Rinkside
While I completely understand that John needs time to heal, this is so disappointing. I felt like they were finally coming into their own as a team and was so excited to see them grow and develop over the next few years. I feel as though they had just scratched the surface.

I wish both of them the best of luck!

Who's out there for Caitlin to skate with????

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
the curse of the US pairs! This seems very oddly timed. They had a great season and even skated well at worlds. I was expecting them to continue to grow next season.
I guess I should expect it now. 2 of the top three pairs at Nats will split up before June each year.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So many of the top US pair teams split. You medal at nationals you go to worlds and then the team splits. Whoa. Good luck to both of them.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Drat. This is lousy news. Can my day get any worse, my commute into work this morning was like a day in h***, it is dark and pouring rain outside and now click on GS and see this news. Sheesh. Finally a US pair team that I really liked and thought could really improve leading up to 2014, and now it is over. Sounds like John is retiring to me. I am glad Caitlin is looking for a new partner. Wishing them both good luck and as for me I am going to buy some chocolate.

lavender

Record Breaker
What is wrong with these people. Wow...no more. I think I'll just ignore our U.S. pairs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They were so stunning this year! Their programs were some of the biggest highlights for me at Nationals. :cry: NOOOoooooo

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."

That being said - I really wasn't expecting this announcement and as a fan of this team (who was REALLY excited for them with all of their successes!) I'm very disappointed, but I can understand why and how it happened. I wish them both much luck and joy in their futures.

essiejane

Rinkside
This is sooo disappointing. I almost went to the calendar to see if it was April 1st. Ugh. =(

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Let's remember that by multiple accounts, pair skating in the US is high commitment, low reward. I've read different accounts of top US pair skaters who say they have to work multiple jobs just to pay the expenses the skating incurs. Remember that for pair skaters, a lot of the expenses are doubled (like equipment and costumes) while the prize money is less. And in the US where pair skating's popularity is even lower than the other disciplines, there aren't a lot of sponsorship / endorsement / show opportunities. It also seems to me that pair skating may be more physically demanding than ice dancing (where expenses are also similarly split but the top US couples stick together much longer), so competitors wear out faster. With the lack of recognition/respect pair skaters in the US get, and the immense amount of resources and effort they have to put into it, it's no wonder none of the teams last very long.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Let's remember that by multiple accounts, pair skating in the US is high commitment, low reward. I've read different accounts of top US pair skaters who say they have to work multiple jobs just to pay the expenses the skating incurs. Remember that for pair skaters, a lot of the expenses are doubled (like equipment and costumes) while the prize money is less. And in the US where pair skating's popularity is even lower than the other disciplines, there aren't a lot of sponsorship / endorsement / show opportunities. It also seems to me that pair skating may be more physically demanding than ice dancing (where expenses are also similarly split but the top US couples stick together much longer), so competitors wear out faster. With the lack of recognition/respect pair skaters in the US get, and the immense amount of resources and effort they have to put into it, it's no wonder none of the teams last very long.

True. Isn't John a few years older? I think they season was about closure, and tribute to his mom and he probably feels like it was a sucess and to end on a high note.
She always did seem to have more competitive fire than he did (and if she is indeed younger) it would make sense that she would want to continue.

I wish them both the best and hope she can find a new partner soon. She is such a beautiful pair skater. Some of the best extensions and air positions in lifts.

Is pairs more popular in other countries?

So far no Chinese person I know has a clue who Shen & Zhao are but my sample is very limited.