Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

Tripping on the Podium essiejane's Avatar
    This is sooo disappointing. I almost went to the calendar to see if it was April 1st. Ugh. =(

Custom Title
    That is sooooo sad! I really love this team.

Too bad Smirnov isn't available.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Let's remember that by multiple accounts, pair skating in the US is high commitment, low reward. I've read different accounts of top US pair skaters who say they have to work multiple jobs just to pay the expenses the skating incurs. Remember that for pair skaters, a lot of the expenses are doubled (like equipment and costumes) while the prize money is less. And in the US where pair skating's popularity is even lower than the other disciplines, there aren't a lot of sponsorship / endorsement / show opportunities. It also seems to me that pair skating may be more physically demanding than ice dancing (where expenses are also similarly split but the top US couples stick together much longer), so competitors wear out faster. With the lack of recognition/respect pair skaters in the US get, and the immense amount of resources and effort they have to put into it, it's no wonder none of the teams last very long.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Let's remember that by multiple accounts, pair skating in the US is high commitment, low reward. I've read different accounts of top US pair skaters who say they have to work multiple jobs just to pay the expenses the skating incurs. Remember that for pair skaters, a lot of the expenses are doubled (like equipment and costumes) while the prize money is less. And in the US where pair skating's popularity is even lower than the other disciplines, there aren't a lot of sponsorship / endorsement / show opportunities. It also seems to me that pair skating may be more physically demanding than ice dancing (where expenses are also similarly split but the top US couples stick together much longer), so competitors wear out faster. With the lack of recognition/respect pair skaters in the US get, and the immense amount of resources and effort they have to put into it, it's no wonder none of the teams last very long.
    True. Isn't John a few years older? I think they season was about closure, and tribute to his mom and he probably feels like it was a sucess and to end on a high note.
    She always did seem to have more competitive fire than he did (and if she is indeed younger) it would make sense that she would want to continue.

I wish them both the best and hope she can find a new partner soon. She is such a beautiful pair skater. Some of the best extensions and air positions in lifts.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Is pairs more popular in other countries?

So far no Chinese person I know has a clue who Shen & Zhao are but my sample is very limited.

Once upon a time there was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm0Zl4Dzcg0

Our most popular skater(s) going into the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics was a Pairs team. Not Linda F or anybody else.

I think it could happen again but it would require a championship caliber team that had big "it" factor.

I remember watching this Live on TV and believe as far a skating goes it was a pretty big deal in USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwvqSoNLoqM

There has never been another USA team that approached Randy and Tai's popularity and it is hard to understand why.

I am sorry to hear about this latest split and did think Yankowskas and Coughlin were a nice team with potential for more.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Is pairs more popular in other countries?

So far no Chinese person I know has a clue who Shen & Zhao are but my sample is very limited.
    Pairs does receive a lot more coverage in China compared to what it gets in the US (while that may not make Shen/Zhao household names, it'd still make them vastly better known in China than any US pairs team in the US). But that doesn't really matter. The Chinese federation directly funds and controls the pairs teams it has. Same with Russia. They don't have to worry about expenses and scramble to train between 3 different jobs like US pair skaters do. And because of the state-controlled nature of these partnerships, it's a bit harder for the Russian/Chinese teams to breakup, as they would be pressured to stay together if they're successful.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."

That being said - I really wasn't expecting this announcement and as a fan of this team (who was REALLY excited for them with all of their successes!) I'm very disappointed, but I can understand why and how it happened. I wish them both much luck and joy in their futures.
    Thank you so much for your comment! We need to celebrate John and stop complaining! At 25 and having been through so much, he deserves nothing more than support, gratitude, and respect.

Custom Title
    Wow, I am shocked by this, and so disappointed. I was really proud of this pair for coming sixth at Worlds, and thought they had a lot of potential--rare among American pairs. Also, it always seemed like they got along pretty well personally. I don't understand. Yes it was a tough year for John, with losing his mom, but he seemed to be dealing with that well, all things considered, and why on earth would you quit right after winning Nationals? Also he is only 25, which in pairs is not old.

Sigh. No wonder no one takes American pairs skating seriously--how could they with this kind of thing happening. Between this and Denney/Barrett's split, that leaves the cupboard seriously bare for American pairs next year. And definitely does not bode well for our chances in the team event at Sochi.

I really would like to know more about the reasons behind this split.

Custom Title
    This is unfortunate. A team that debuted at Worlds with a sixth-place finish (and an American pair no less!) is bound to be very promising.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to all the chatter that John is going to pair up with Caydee Denney?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Someone needs to tell Bryce Davison that we have 2 national champions looking for partners.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    This is unfortunate. A team that debuted at Worlds with a sixth-place finish (and an American pair no less!) is bound to be very promising.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to all the chatter that John is going to pair up with Caydee Denney?
    I can't believe that . . . Why would John leave Caitlin when she is obviously so talented and they're successful together?? I respect Caydee a lot but she is not in the same league with Caitlin in artistry and presentation. Surely that rumor can't be true. On the other hand, something's clearly going on behind the scenes to explain this split.

Custom Title
    I highly doubt there is truth to the Caydee rumor-- from what Yankowskas said in the article, it seems like they have parted on very good terms. Caydee also has neither technical nor artistic edge over Caitlin. Given these two points, I don't see how John could be leaving her for Caydee Denney. I think John may actually be leaving pairs skating for a job or schooling and just wants to leave on a high note. Any partner would be lucky to have Caitlin as a partner-- she has a truly 'international' (ok, Russian) look and sophistication about her and beautiful lines and she can actually land jumps and throws!

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I really would like to know more about the reasons behind this split.
    I don't either of them need to offer anymore than they already have... and they don't even owe us that!

So shocked and sad about this news, but I wish them both all the best.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast