Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."

That being said - I really wasn't expecting this announcement and as a fan of this team (who was REALLY excited for them with all of their successes!) I'm very disappointed, but I can understand why and how it happened. I wish them both much luck and joy in their futures.
    Agree with this. Still surprised and bummed about the announcement though. If anything, I was expecting an Evora/Ladwig split (or retirement) before this one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think we need to put John's career into perspective. We're talking about a guy who put everything of himself into this season as a tribute to his mom who he lost just what over a year ago? He's had the season of his life, and had an extremely emotional long program to boot. I think we're looking at burn out. This might have been the plan all along, that he was going to give it one more year for his mom and then that's it. This isn't a whole "we have too many ups and downs I'm sick of it and looking for something new"... I think this is more of a "I have nothing left to give."
    This is an interesting perspective and I could see how it might be true. However, I'm not sure. If John simply had burnout or wanted to end his career on a high note, why not just say so? That's what Jeff Buttle said when he ended his eligible career; he was plainspoken about it. Instead, we get the "evaluating options" comment in regard to John, which can't help but suggest that one of the "options" he is considering is competing with another partner. I don't think John or Caitlin owe us any further explanation--but as a fan, I can't help but want to know more.

I've read a number of press reports about the split and all have referred to the "surprising" or "baffling" nature of this split given the team's recent success. Interesting that Tatiana Volosozhar, in another interview on this site, commented on how American pairs have improved--and by this, she must mean Y/C's fine showing this season. So, it's just very sad for American pairs fans. Of course I wish John and Caitlin the best. And I do hope sincerely that Caitlin can find a new partner soon who is worthy of her considerable talents.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    This is unfortunate. A team that debuted at Worlds with a sixth-place finish (and an American pair no less!) is bound to be very promising.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to all the chatter that John is going to pair up with Caydee Denney?
    I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor. We will find out soon enough. Caydee has been in Col. for over 2 months and she still is partnerless. According to other forum speculation it is a done deal.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 05-05-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Custom Title
    I certainly hope the Caydee rumor is false, but if I were a betting man, I'd put my money on it being true.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I don't know if there is any truth to the rumor. We will find out soon enough. Caydee has been in Col. for over 2 months and she still is partnerless. According to other forum speculation it is a done deal.
    I didn't know that Caydee was in Colorado looking for a new partner. Oh dear. That makes me wonder if this rumor is indeed true. If it is, I will be even more disappointed . . . :-(

That is a heinous idea for John to leave Caitlin for Caydee. A) Caitlin is much better in every way and they are so well matched. B) Caydee is so young and she needs a partner much younger than John if she hopes to have a long career.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Someone needs to tell Bryce Davison that we have 2 national champions looking for partners.
    From the last reports I've seen, Bryce Davison's injury is so bad that he hasn't even been allowed to do hardly any on ice training yet. His skating future doesn't seem optimistic at all to me.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    From the last reports I've seen, Bryce Davison's injury is so bad that he hasn't even been allowed to do hardly any on ice training yet. His skating future doesn't seem optimistic at all to me.
    Actually, I think Bryce is coming along according to schedule. He skated in an ice show at the Hamilton Skating Club a few weeks ago with The Ice Men, a comedic precision team. It’s not elite level skating of course, but I heard he looked pretty good.

If Bryce does consider partnering with one of the US girls, Caitlin would suit him much better. He is an elegant, graceful partner and Caydee would need a complete overhaul to even consider skating with him.

Also, I have a very strong feeling that this "Colorado Spings partner" that Caydee is about to announce is Drew Meekins.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    If Bryce does consider partnering with one of the US girls, Caitlin would suit him much better. He is an elegant, graceful partner and Caydee would need a complete overhaul to even consider skating with him.

Also, I have a very strong feeling that this "Colorado Spings partner" that Caydee is about to announce is Drew Meekins.
    But Drew is also very graceful. Didn't Rebecca Bereswill break up with her partner, too? He could skate with Caydee, since she's so young. Or even Taylor Toth.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    But Drew is also very graceful. Didn't Rebecca Bereswill break up with her partner, too? He could skate with Caydee, since she's so young. Or even Taylor Toth.

The reason Becky Bereswill broke up with her partner is because Trevor retired. Taylor Toth is on the smaller side for a pairs skater and Caydee is on the taller side for a pairs lady. I don't know if that partnership would work well do to height similarities.

The reason Becky Bereswill broke up with her partner is because Trevor retired. Taylor Toth is on the smaller side for a pairs skater and Caydee is on the taller side for a pairs lady. I don't know if that partnership would work well do to height similarities.
    it worked with Caydee and Jeremey

Medalist
    On the contrary, Denney is actually really short, even for a pair skater.

Comparison of female pair skaters, in order of 2011 Worlds results:
    1) Aliona Savchenko: 1.53 m (5 ft 0 in)
    2) Tatiana Volosozhar: 1.60 m (5 ft 3 in)
    3) Qing Pang: 1.62 m (5 ft 4 in)
    4) Yuko Kawaguchi: 1.57 m (5 ft 2 in)
    5) Vera Bazarova: 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)
    6) Caitlyn Yankowskas: 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)

Caydee Denney: 1.47 m (4 ft 10 in)

There would actually be a greater height difference between Denney/Toth than Savchenko/Szolkowy. However, I doubt D/T would be a good match in terms of style.

Quote Originally Posted by smia View Post
    On the contrary, Denney is actually really short, even for a pair skater.

Comparison of female pair skaters, in order of 2011 Worlds results:
    1) Aliona Savchenko: 1.53 m (5 ft 0 in)
    2) Tatiana Volosozhar: 1.60 m (5 ft 3 in)
    3) Qing Pang: 1.62 m (5 ft 4 in)
    4) Yuko Kawaguchi: 1.57 m (5 ft 2 in)
    5) Vera Bazarova: 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)
    6) Caitlyn Yankowskas: 1.58 m (5 ft 2 in)

Caydee Denney: 1.47 m (4 ft 10 in)

There would actually be a greater height difference between Denney/Toth than Savchenko/Szolkowy. However, I doubt D/T would be a good match in terms of style.
    Wow, Caydee doesn't look that short. I was thinking she was 5'4" - 5'5"

Welcome, pairsfan2. Thanks for joining us.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast