Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar

I want to see this.

Rinkside
    I'm a little surprised that no one has posted this interview with Tai yet, as it seems to go well with this topic. I can't believe I'm the first to see it.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ic...ir-Skating.htm

Quote Originally Posted by wenrose View Post
    I'm a little surprised that no one has posted this interview with Tai yet, as it seems to go well with this topic. I can't believe I'm the first to see it.

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ic...ir-Skating.htm
    Thanks for the link and even if what Tai has to say seems obvious atleast somebody in the USA is thinking about the crazy situation with the American Pairs teams.

This clip of little Tai and Randy skating together as juniors illustrates her point very well. They did not become successful after a season or two together but only after years of skating together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaf6H...eature=related

Custom Title
    That's a great interview with Tai. I agree with her 100% the USFSA needs to get more involved in U.S. pairs skating. It's clear something needs to be done, especially now with the Olympic team event on the horizon. It'll be difficult to contend in the team event if we can't upgrade our pairs program. This really seems like it needs to be addressed on the governing body level.

For example, did the USFSA make any concerted effort to help Yankowskas/Coughlin (or Denney/Barrett or McLaughlin/Brubaker) work out their issues rather than simply split up? I'm not sure exactly what is needed, but perhaps a combination of 1) more USFSA financial support for promising pairs; 2) an organized mentoring/coaching program with successful U.S. pairs skaters/coaches as suggested by Tai; 3) more active monitoring of promising pairs by USFSA representatives (to help them work out training issues, coaching problems, etc.).

I'd love to hear from current or recent U.S. pairs skaters, or their parents or coaches, on the factors holding back pairs skating in the U.S. It would be great to get the "inside scoop" on this, if you will, from the people involved. I'd love to get insight from someone at USFSA as well.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

This is really ridiculous....when will US pairs realize that it takes many years to build the perfect unison of the Russian pairs? John really had something going with Caitlyn and now that he switched partner, the unison-building must start all over again.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    It is definitely one of the stranger stories in skating this year, but I have to admit that they look well matched, from that photo. Until I saw it I wasn't keen on the thought of their partnering up, but now I'm kind of eager to see them.

My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this. You have the best season of your life with somebody else, dump them, and then go with someone who had the worst season of their career?

As well matched as Denney and Coughlin may be, the odd nature of how this partnership came to be and the fact that a national champion pair was split in the process of this doesnt let me be at all excited for this new team.

Well it is official. I have to agree with Spun Silver they do look good together in that photo.
    I like John and was disappointed when the "rumors" started about his pairing with Caydee,
    but it is sport. Wishing them both well and will be looking forward to see what they can do
    together. I hope things work out for Caitlin and she has success in finding a partner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    My jaw dropped to the floor when I read this. You have the best season of your life with somebody else, dump them, and then go with someone who had the worst season of their career?
    I know. As I said before, the timing is really awful because Caitlin and John had such a tremendous season. No matter what happened to cause this, I feel very bad for Caitlin. But I don't think John cared so much about what kind of season he was having with Caitlin-- this new partnership was supposedly in the works well before Worlds.

well, at least I got to see them live in 2008.

Maybe Caitlin can skate with Drew Meekins. He is based in CO springs and from what I remember, he has a very elegant look on the ice.

If what people are saying about the pairing of D/C being in the works before worlds is true, and I might be wrong to say this, but it seems that Dalilah S. was most definitely very involved with the process, it doesnt matter how well of a pairing D/C will make, planning to just leave Caitlin before the season is over seems both irresponsible and just wrong, people are quick to bash John and Caydee, but how much of this was Sappenfield's work? Its a joke that she is even nominated for coach of the year at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDLutz View Post
    If what people are saying about the pairing of D/C being in the works before worlds is true, and I might be wrong to say this, but it seems that Dalilah S. was most definitely very involved with the process, it doesnt matter how well of a pairing D/C will make, planning to just leave Caitlin before the season is over seems both irresponsible and just wrong, people are quick to bash John and Caydee, but how much of this was Sappenfield's work? Its a joke that she is even nominated for coach of the year at this point.
    I understand where you're coming from, and I even agree with you, but I think a coach's job is to work towards great results. If she believes deep down that this pair will be better than her last one, then she is just doing her job.

On that note, I have a message for Caitlyn Y- Remember Irina Rodnina.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast