Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

Custom Title
    Boy, I feel ambivalent about the new D/C pairing. Oh, well, I wish Denny, Coughlin, and Yankowskas the best luck.

I'll be rooting for Yankowskas, especially her successful partner search.

Down With It
    My initial thought is that he was leaving a clearly superior partner for someone merely average, but who knows- as bizarre as this whole thing is, perhaps we should give them at least a chance or two before dumping on them...perhaps Coughlin can do a better job of bringing out Denney's strengths than Barrett did.

Custom Title
    Administrator - do you think you can revise the title here as something like: "Yankowskas/Coughlin split; Coughlin pairs with Denny"

Just a thought, since the thread discussion clearly started including posters' impressions of the original split as well as the new partnership. I understand the decision is left up to the administrator. Thank you.

Hold on a moment...I don't follow pairs much (which will shortly be obvious) but, let me try and get this straight:

Denny, who was paired with Jeremy Barrett, and who won at least two national titles/one Olympic appearance, trained in S. Florida AND who just had a sub-par season (but otherwise had a bright future), ended said partnership with Barrett (leaving Barrett wanting to skate but looking for a partner) and just paired up with John Coughlin, who after several years on the US Nationals “bubble” (i.e. near/on the podium) left his long-time (by US standards) partner Caitlin Yankowskas (who also still wants to skate but now lacks a partner) and will now skate with Denny in Colorado under the coaching of D. Sappenfield?

Between the four of them, were any looking to retire or take time off? Was there any hint that either partnership was in trouble – other than that Denny or Barrett struggled this season?

After all the press coverage of John and his response to questions about needing time to heal from the death of his mother, I think many could understand if he wanted to dissolve the relationship simply to take time off or even retire – not to go skate with the female half of one of his main competitors.

I can’t help but feel kind of icky about all of this. It just seems uncouth. Something seems off.

Has anyone heard from Barrett or Yankowskas yet? I feel bad for them. Any chance they would pair up?

I guess Denny and Coughlin made their bed, now it’s time to see if they can sleep in it
    Last edited by dwiggin3; 05-17-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Custom Title
    At the time of announcing their split (2/24/2011), Barrett remarked that he planned on coaching as well as show skating. Yankowskas is supposely looking for a new partner.
    Last edited by CARA; 05-17-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    At the time of announcing their split (2/24/2011), Barrett remarked that he planned on coaching as well as show skating. Yankowskas are supposely looking for a new partner.
    Assuming this is true, then I really can't hold much anomosity towards Denny since she was loosing a partner to begin with. It's John's situation now that make me uncomfortable ...leave the best partner you've ever had for an untested relationship?

Who out there can match Caitlin as a partner? I assume she wants to continue to skate?

On the Ice
    Does anyone know if this new pair will be placed in the team envelope since they both qualified with their former partners? When will we be able to see them skate? Will they get grand prix assignments?

I would assume they'll have to skate in a competition like Nebelhorn Trophy to achieve a minimum score in order to qualify for Grand Prix events.

Quote Originally Posted by roemerr View Post
    Does anyone know if this new pair will be placed in the team envelope since they both qualified with their former partners? When will we be able to see them skate? Will they get grand prix assignments?
    I am not sure about the answer to either of your questions.

But it seems in today's world this new team will be rewarded before they have accomplished anything together on the ice.

Maybe US Skating could send them and other teams thinking of breaking up a signal by making them EARN their envelopes and GP spots rather than giving it to them on good will alone.
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    I am not about the answer to either of your questions.

But it seems in today's world this new team will be rewarded before they have accomplished anything together on the ice.

Maybe US Skating could send them and other teams thinking of breaking up a signal by making them EARN their envelopes and GP spots rather than giving it to them on good will alone.
    Personally, I agree on making them earn it. All the new pairs, no matter how promising, should start from scratch--ie earn your spot to Nationals by going through regionals/sectionals. No GP's. Maybe senior B's, if you do well enough through regionals/sectionals.

Then again, they do not get to do GP's. Y/C give up their #6 slot to D/R.

On the Ice
    Only reason I ask is because I want to see them skate. Unlike many people on this board, I think they could be a very exciting team. I guess I may have to wait till nationals unless senior B's are broadcasted on the internet somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Personally, I agree on making them earn it. All the new pairs, no matter how promising, should start from scratch--ie earn your spot to Nationals by going through regionals/sectionals. No GP's. Maybe senior B's, if you do well enough through regionals/sectionals.

Then again, they do not get to do GP's. Y/C give up their #6 slot to D/R.
    Do you think that D/C will get 2 GP assignments? I am a little confused how the
    pecking order will work out for them.

Marley & Brubaker did not get GP events this season so Denney & Coughlin should't get GP assignments this season. And they should have to go through regionals and sectionals.

The first US pairs to get Grand Prix assignments should be Evora/Ladwig, Marley/Brubaker, Castelli/Shnapir, and Cain/Reagan.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    D/C won't get GP's, unless they get in through the host pic (SA). That will be the only GP they have a chance of getting. Again, I agree with BSB--they should skate regionals and sectionals.

Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    Hold on a moment...I don't follow pairs much (which will shortly be obvious) but, let me try and get this straight:

Denny, who was paired with Jeremy Barrett, and who won at least two national titles/one Olympic appearance, trained in S. Florida AND who just had a sub-par season (but otherwise had a bright future), ended said partnership with Barrett (leaving Barrett wanting to skate but looking for a partner) and just paired up with John Coughlin, who after several years on the US Nationals “bubble” (i.e. near/on the podium) left his long-time (by US standards) partner Caitlin Yankowskas (who also still wants to skate but now lacks a partner) and will now skate with Denny in Colorado under the coaching of D. Sappenfield?
    I thought Barrett WANTED to retire. That's what I got out of what was said on the Denney/Barrett split.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast