2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

gold12345

Medalist
yes, Jeremy quit after a dismal skating season - a freak injury - and the fact that he was tired of training so far away from his fiance.

Well, I wouldn't call it dismal. It just wasn't amazing. It was a decent season. But heck, even great seasons don't keep our top teams together anymore.:laugh:

I think people are looking at Caydee like she's the "other woman". Chances are this wasn't a rash decision on anyone's part, and I just hope this was as amicable a split/new partnership as possible. As a fan of both D/B and Y/C I wish all four skaters the best. I don't think it's going to be the magical move that the pair/team is making it out to be. John and Caitlyn were just seeing results after four years - through consistency and steady climbing of the ranks - Caydee has cat like instincts, but pressure was getting to her this year. It'll be interesting next season. And what if they don't have the results they're used to? What then? :confused:

I feel the same!

I have been told that D&C have a new SP to Nessun Dorma.

Evora and Ladwig's music from this year :sheesh: John certainly didn't waste any time getting back into the swing of things since Worlds did he.

Marley & Brubaker did not get GP events this season so Denney & Coughlin should't get GP assignments this season. And they should have to go through regionals and sectionals.

Marley/Brubaker actually tried to get a Skate America slot last year (despite not being ready at all.. not sure what they were thinking). Denney/Coughlin should have a chance at it... I figure they will already be competing in the summer.

lavender

Record Breaker
I never got the Caydee hype. Not a fan. Anyway, whatever to John. So disappointing.

After all the press coverage of John and his response to questions about needing time to heal from the death of his mother, I think many could understand if he wanted to dissolve the relationship simply to take time off or even retire – not to go skate with the female half of one of his main competitors.

I can’t help but feel kind of icky about all of this. It just seems uncouth. Something seems off
Icky is right.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
D/C seem to be hitting the ground running, so that confirms that this was something in the works for some time. Perhaps even before Y/C saw success this season, which might possibly shed some light on why it seemed so "sudden" to the fans/outsiders.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
D/C seem to be hitting the ground running, so that confirms that this was something in the works for some time. Perhaps even before Y/C saw success this season, which might possibly shed some light on why it seemed so "sudden" to the fans/outsiders.

You might be right. Caitlin might've known since last summer, and both she and John decided to give it one last shot together. Whatever happens, no one can take their national title from this year away.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
what the hell? John's words when he spilt from Caitlin suggested that he was done competing? Why would he leave Caitlin for Caydee? This is weird. Maybe Caitlin will team up with Jeremey?

evangeline

Record Breaker
I have been told that D&C have a new SP to Nessun Dorma.

Firebird, Scheherazade, Rhapsody in Blue, Spartacus....and now Nessun Dorma? Team Denney is sure working the warhorses.

I'm so disappointed. Coughlin is more of the athletic type, but with the more elegant Yankowskas, there was definitely the potential to improve and rise up above the typical lower-ranked pairs feel (i.e. decent tricks but lacking in finesse overall). But now paired up with someone like Denney, well....I have a feeling that's unlikely to happen. At the very least, there's definitely a longer way to go in terms of developing artistry and presentation skills.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
what the hell? John's words when he spilt from Caitlin suggested that he was done competing? Why would he leave Caitlin for Caydee? This is weird. Maybe Caitlin will team up with Jeremey?

Jeremy has completely retired from competitive skating and is now coaching full time in Florida.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Is Blanchard looking for a partner?

I don't think Blanchard is skating anymore at the moment. And also, I'm not sure Blanchard would be the great partner for Yankowskas...in the few competitions he skated with Mukhortova, wasn't he even more inconsistent with the jumps than she was? And well, Mukhortova is no Volosozhar when it comes to jumping.....

clairecloutier

Final Flight
So it's official. I'm shocked by this and still wonder what led to it. Caitlin skated great last season and supported John through a difficult time--only to get dumped and replaced with another partner just weeks after Worlds?? How cold is that?

oleada

Record Breaker
This is a similar circumstance to Volosozhar & Trankov and even being Russian, they were given no special treatment and received no GP assignments. They even won Russian nationals and didn't get to go to Europeans because they didnt have an International base score. I think Denney & Coughlin will do at least one International B to get a base score so they can qualify for 4CC or Worlds if they are to earn bids via US Nationals.

This is NOT the case. V/T could not compete internationally until after Europeans because she represented the Ukraine up until the 2010 Olympics and needed to sit out a year before representing Russia. They competed at the Mont Blanc trophy to earn a minimum score in order to compete at Worlds.

I share the same sentiments as most of this thread - that Yankowskas is a far better skater, she had beautiful line and style, and I have no idea what Coughlin is doing trading her for the less impressive Denney (whom I have never gotten) - but if they can qualify for a GP assignment there's no reason to deny them one.

Meh. After M/B and Y/C split, there's really no reason for me to watch US pairs.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Caitlin and John complement each others well. It's too bad. But what's wrong with Caydee Denney. The girl got spunk. I think these two will be America's #1 team soon enough.

This is Caitlin's chance to find a great partner. Maybe steal Tran from Canada/Japan.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Caitlin and John complement each others well. It's too bad. But what's wrong with Caydee Denney. The girl got spunk. I think these two will be America's #1 team soon enough.

This is Caitlin's chance to find a great partner. Maybe steal Tran from Canada/Japan.

I'm not sure if you are half-joking or not, but let's not go there. :disapp:
Right now Tran can't participate in Olympics, and he'd be in the same situation with Caitlin. He'd have to wait for years to obtain US citizenship even if he agrees to be a dual citizen.

Why would you want to put Tran the same crappy situation many of us think Cailin was put through?

skfan

Final Flight

let T&T be. they have enough on their plates without people thinking nefarious thoughts :) yeah, i said it, i like T&T and don't care if they represent japan, canada or mars, i will root for them over any american team.

back on the topic, however-- please don't infect them with our plague.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) I love Narumi and Mervyn, too..But even if I didn't , I don't think Mervyn would be a large enough build for Caitlin. Don't forget Narumi is teeny-tiny. ( A perfect little elf girl. )

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Oh boohoo, why would Tran be in any crappy situation? It's not like his partner is Yuko Kavaguti. Narumi's dragging him down.
Tran isn't exactly short and Caitlyn isn't tall, kinda like Bryce and what's her face. Team North America, y'all. :biggrin:

Those two should easily become US or Canada #1 within 1 season.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
1. If Japan is really serious about the 2014 group figure skating event, she would offer a citizenship to Tran. (Unlike Canada, it's currently almost impossible to obtain a citizenship in Japan);

2. Tran is 5'9" and Caitlin is 5'2". Narumi is only 4'9.5". FYI: John C is 6'2".

3. It's true Narumi is no Yuko Kavaguti. On the other hand, Kavaguti is 30 year old and Narumi is only 19. Upside potential for Narumi is rather good. :thumbsup:

4. Most importantly, I hope Caitlin, Narumi, & Tran have say in the "destiny" of their partnership. :)

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Tran will never get to go to the Olympics. The more reason to find a partner here. He's about as tall as Bryce. Caitlin is about as tall as Jessica. These two should be perfect together. We need a campaign to get the two good skaters together.
Narumi is 19, and can barely jump. There's no upside.