Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

This is a similar circumstance to Volosozhar & Trankov and even being Russian, they were given no special treatment and received no GP assignments. They even won Russian nationals and didn't get to go to Europeans because they didnt have an International base score. I think Denney & Coughlin will do at least one International B to get a base score so they can qualify for 4CC or Worlds if they are to earn bids via US Nationals.

Down With It
    I would take it D/C would have to start all the way from the beginning, earning their stripes as they move up to EARN those GP assignments, and become strong enough to be contenders for the world team. Which makes this move so much more perplexing. Is Denney REALLY THAT MUCH better that Coughlin would dump what's already working (well, on the surface I guess- no knowing what's really going on, but for the sake of argument let's just suppose), go through the trouble of starting all over and re-establishing what took years to build- I dunno. Just seems "odd" to me.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I thought Barrett WANTED to retire. That's what I got out of what was said on the Denney/Barrett split.
    He did. But she didn't, so she went looking for a partner.

Thanks BSB for the explanation.

Custom Title
    What was John Coughlin thinking with this move anyways? Caydee is not a upgrade from Caitlin just the opposite. Caitlin is like a ballerina on the ice while Caydee isn't exactly the most graceful Pairs skater he could have found. And what's the deal with the coach Dalilah Sappenfield? Sounds like she was behind this move pairing John with Caydee. Almost looks like she backstabbed Caitlin in the back while she wasn't looking.
    Last edited by Jammers; 05-17-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Goodness, I must be an old-timer, but I seem to recall people on this board raving about Caydee and her "star power" only two seasons ago, when there was zero buzz about Caitlin. Caydee's still very young and has lots of room for development. I share the general amazement but I have to assume there are some powerful personal reasons for this radical change that I'm not privy to. I wish all of them well, especially Caitlin. I hope the right partner will turn up for her soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I thought Barrett WANTED to retire. That's what I got out of what was said on the Denney/Barrett split.
    yes, Jeremy quit after a dismal skating season - a freak injury - and the fact that he was tired of training so far away from his fiance.

I think people are looking at Caydee like she's the "other woman". Chances are this wasn't a rash decision on anyone's part, and I just hope this was as amicable a split/new partnership as possible. As a fan of both D/B and Y/C I wish all four skaters the best. I don't think it's going to be the magical move that the pair/team is making it out to be. John and Caitlyn were just seeing results after four years - through consistency and steady climbing of the ranks - Caydee has cat like instincts, but pressure was getting to her this year. It'll be interesting next season. And what if they don't have the results they're used to? What then?
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 05-17-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Custom Title
    I have been told that D&C have a new SP to Nessun Dorma.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    D&C -- hmm. Not the most enchanting of abbreviations, to English-speaking women.

And Nessun Dorma... ugh. It better be good.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by EWalker View Post
    Please I hate this music. Meno/Sand ruined it for me when they skated it for a thousand seasons.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    yes, Jeremy quit after a dismal skating season - a freak injury - and the fact that he was tired of training so far away from his fiance.
    Well, I wouldn't call it dismal. It just wasn't amazing. It was a decent season. But heck, even great seasons don't keep our top teams together anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think people are looking at Caydee like she's the "other woman". Chances are this wasn't a rash decision on anyone's part, and I just hope this was as amicable a split/new partnership as possible. As a fan of both D/B and Y/C I wish all four skaters the best. I don't think it's going to be the magical move that the pair/team is making it out to be. John and Caitlyn were just seeing results after four years - through consistency and steady climbing of the ranks - Caydee has cat like instincts, but pressure was getting to her this year. It'll be interesting next season. And what if they don't have the results they're used to? What then?
    I feel the same!

Quote Originally Posted by EWalker View Post
    Evora and Ladwig's music from this year :sheesh: John certainly didn't waste any time getting back into the swing of things since Worlds did he.

Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    Marley & Brubaker did not get GP events this season so Denney & Coughlin should't get GP assignments this season. And they should have to go through regionals and sectionals.
    Marley/Brubaker actually tried to get a Skate America slot last year (despite not being ready at all.. not sure what they were thinking). Denney/Coughlin should have a chance at it... I figure they will already be competing in the summer.

Custom Title
    I never got the Caydee hype. Not a fan. Anyway, whatever to John. So disappointing.

After all the press coverage of John and his response to questions about needing time to heal from the death of his mother, I think many could understand if he wanted to dissolve the relationship simply to take time off or even retire – not to go skate with the female half of one of his main competitors.

I can’t help but feel kind of icky about all of this. It just seems uncouth. Something seems off
    Icky is right.
    Last edited by lavender; 05-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Down With It
    D/C seem to be hitting the ground running, so that confirms that this was something in the works for some time. Perhaps even before Y/C saw success this season, which might possibly shed some light on why it seemed so "sudden" to the fans/outsiders.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    D/C seem to be hitting the ground running, so that confirms that this was something in the works for some time. Perhaps even before Y/C saw success this season, which might possibly shed some light on why it seemed so "sudden" to the fans/outsiders.
    You might be right. Caitlin might've known since last summer, and both she and John decided to give it one last shot together. Whatever happens, no one can take their national title from this year away.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    what the hell? John's words when he spilt from Caitlin suggested that he was done competing? Why would he leave Caitlin for Caydee? This is weird. Maybe Caitlin will team up with Jeremey?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast