Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2011 National Pairs Champions end partnership; Coughlin to skate with Caydee Denney

Custom Title
    Of course you are free to campaign, but I happen to be a strong advocate of respecting individual skater's wishes. They are the ones who do the hard works.

I also wonder just how much Caitlin's wishes were heard/respected prior to break-up.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's Caitlyn's situation that worries me the most. Has anyone heard if she has had any tryouts at all? Of course, she may be looking for a new coaching situation, too, since if I were her, my number one wish would be to get the heck out of Colorado Springs right now.

People have talked about Bryce Davison, since he has dual citizenship. Is there anything in this suggestion?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    People have talked about Bryce Davison, since he has dual citizenship. Is there anything in this suggestion?
    As much as I would love for them to get together, since they would probably have very nice lines, Caitlin is 5'3" and Bryce is 5'8".

Could a pair that close in height be successful? The trend seems to be flea/gorilla.
    Last edited by blue dog; 05-19-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Custom Title
    Shen/Zhao were 5'3" and 5'9" respectively. Bryce would definitely have to up the upper body strength to make that work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Shen/Zhao were 5'3" and 5'9" respectively. Bryce would definitely have to up the upper body strength to make that work, though.
    I am simply enamoured with this possibility. Of course, they'd have to both be interested in t he partnership. Anyone on facebook want to contact them?

Custom Title
    There's no good male skaters in pair. Mervyn is a better partner for Caitlin. Bryce is washed up. Kinda like Maria and Jerome. Caitlin needs someone current, not someone whose peak was in 2008. Pairing up with Bryce would be a waste of time for Caitlin.

I don't think Bryce is washed up, at all. Mervin is good, but his expression is still "developing senior." I think Bryce is still young, and both he and Caitlin could certainly improve their skating some more. I think Mervin is good with Narumi.

I remember, right before 2006, very few people even thought Shen/Zhao could come back to win a medal, but they won bronze, and four years later, were Olympic champions.

Of course, if neither party was interested what would Caitlin do? Break up another team? Convince a really tall singles skater to switch? Move to ice dance? (with our deep field in dance, this may be the worst move)

Custom Title
    I hope CY finds someone taller than 5'8" and with better lines to match her.

Custom Title
    Bryce is taller than 5'8". More like 5'10". He needs to fully recover from his injury, but he's still young for a pair guy. (Being young should also help him to bounce back from his injury.) With his dual citizenship, pairing an American girl must be a real option for him. Mervin Tran is a strange possibility considering he already has crazy citizenship issues. Why would he leave his partner to just be involved in more citizenship issues? He's probably too small for Caitlin anyway, who by the way, is more like 5'3". If anything, Mervin should hope for Narumi to agree to become a Canadian citizen at some point, no? Or maybe they really just are content with competing at Worlds and not the Olys. They may change their minds down the road. Won't Japan's citizenship rules keep Japan from contending for a team medal at the Olys? It's a shame they can't make a special exception for Tran.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Whoa, it's a lot harder to match up a pairs team than just saying "these two are good pairs skaters and have enough of a height difference and would look cute together". It's really about whether two people can work together smoothly, whether the logistics allow them to train together, whether they both gel with the same coaching team, and so on.

While it would be tragic if a talented pairs skater like Caitlin can't find a decent partner, there's no guarantee Bryce or any other pairs skater we know of is right for her even if he has the right height and citizenship.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Whoa, it's a lot harder to match up a pairs team than just saying "these two are good pairs skaters and have enough of a height difference and would look cute together". It's really about whether two people can work together smoothly, whether the logistics allow them to train together, whether they both gel with the same coaching team, and so on.

While it would be tragic if a talented pairs skater like Caitlin can't find a decent partner, there's no guarantee Bryce or any other pairs skater we know of is right for her even if he has the right height and citizenship.
    Agreed. There's no way of knowing whether Caitlin/Bryce would work out; they could only determine that after a tryout. To me it's just as likely Caitlin could find another partner who's not currently well known but is nonetheless right for her. Just think of Kazakova/Dmitriev. When Artur started skating with Oksana in 1995, she really wasn't well known at all outside of Russia (or maybe even within Russia). Hopefully there's someone out there like that for Caitlin in the U.S.

Custom Title
    It's really about whether two people can work together smoothly, whether the logistics allow them to train together, whether they both gel with the same coaching team, and so on.
    I believe if both partners are good pair skaters, they can do it. Most pairs who didn't make it usually have a partner who didn't work hard, or a terrible partner. What you said about logistics, coaching team, those can be fixed. A terrible partner can't be fixed.

Mervin should find a better partner.
    Caitlin is looking for a partner.

Those two should be perfect together. What's the point of Mervin competing for Japan only to come in 10th or whatever because Narumi can't do a 2A or a 3Sal or even land a throw jump.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post
    Bryce is taller than 5'8". More like 5'10". He needs to fully recover from his injury, but he's still young for a pair guy. (Being young should also help him to bounce back from his injury.)
    Bryce is 5’10”. At 25 he’s just coming into his prime as a pair skater. He’s definitely bulked up since he’s had more time to spend at the gym: http://www.justinechiu.com/wp-conten...en-950x492.jpg The pink wig is a good look for him.

ITA though, there’s a lot more to that goes into successful match than just physical characteristics. The partnership that looks great on paper could fail miserably when the skaters actually try out. For Caitlin/Bryce there’s also the not so insignificant matter of one of them being released by their federation.

I don't think people should be so quick to break up Takahashi/Tran. Breaking them up and putting Tran with Yankowskas would be pretty much the same as breaking up Yankowskas and Coughlin to put Coughlin with Denney. Tran seems like kind of a random choice, considering I don't think he has American citizenship, but I could be wrong.

I would hope for a pairing of Yankowskas and Davison, but I'm really not sure if Davison will be able to skate competitively again.

My impression is that a lot of these U.S. pairings come down to which girl's family has the most money.

Does anyone remember the teenage male ice dancer from England who offered himself for sale on ebay a couple of years ago? As I recall, the starting bid was $100,000 plus board and room. Put up the money and the boy would relocate in the United States and skate with your daughter.

Ebay took it down after a couple of days. I guess it's illegal to sell yourself on ebay.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast