All That Skate-Spring 2011 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

All That Skate-Spring 2011

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for all the video links. Any video of S/Z Turnandot?

parma

On the Ice
Yuna is not only sizzling hot in her Fever number, but she demonstrates just how versatile she can be as a skater and an actress. I have never seen anyone who has such a wide range of characters she can play. Amazing.

Thanks so much for all these links! I just had time to watch a few of them. Wow, that is an enthusiastic crowd. They really repay YuNa for her efforts at popularizing skating in her country.
Some thoughts:

Lambiel is still so smooth. He makes even Ilia Kulik look stiff by comparison. Stephane is just a natural musician on blades.

Kulik looks wonderful, still with those fast feet and beautiful jumps. His wife Gordeyeva--light and fleet, though her jumps still aren't strong. Somehow she transcends jumps.

YuNa herself (Fever; haven't watched her other skating): now, that is how a black dress should be worn by a skater. Look how much jazz she has!

Alissa: so exquisite. Interesting that two of her best pieces, "Moon River" and "Sabrina," both come from Audrey Hepburn movies. Smart move! She shares that gazelle-like grace that Hepburn was known for. The two have very compatible personalities, I'd say.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Alissa is such a classic skater. She is like a taller Yuka Sato in this program. that "dancing by myslef" program just did not work with her elegance and height. Would have been much cuter on a Murakmi or Mirai.

Actually maybe it's just in comparison to Yuna but I was noticing that Alissa actually has a very long torso and comparatively shorter limbs for her height. She looks tall because she is slender, but I think a lot of people mistake her for being long limbed when she is actually long-waisted. I loved her "Moon River" number too, and that dress was gorgeous!

L

lowtherlore

Shen & Zhao's Turandot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs1DU497n7Q

Two of the better fan cams of Yu-Na's Fever, each from opposite side of the rink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9o4d3REzEo&feature=youtu.be&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWbwwYQ7lMg&feature=channel_video_title

Last edited:
L

lowtherlore

Very good handcam (Day 3) of possibly the final performance of Yu-Na's Giselle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mTE3dXnM0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott's piece to "Hometown Glory" was mindblowing. I'm familiar with the song and I've seen it used in other contexts, but when I watched Abbott skate to it, I felt like I've finally heard the song. He does a seamless job of bringing out the nuances in the song's phrasing and emotions. The edge work. The first two jumps set to silence. One of the best skates I've seen.

Unfortunately it hasn't been shown on TV yet, but here's the best fan cam version I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xfWR_EWzw

Other random thoughts:

Stephane Lambiel isn't just a great dancer on ice, but a great choreographer. His new piece to Jamie Cullum's jazz cover of "Don't Stop the Music" is perfectly conceived. Love the instep slide he does. More skaters need to use him as a choreographer.

Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
You're a braver bloke (or blokette) than I am, Gunga Din. ;)

But yeah...I don't think Yu-na could have taken on Peggy Lee.

Come at me, Yunatics!

J/K, please don't hurt me...

But to Mathman, I do think Yuna can and has done sexy and sultry very successfully in the past. Really, her slowly drawing a gun out of her garter in the James Bond SP was sexier than this entire program put together. But I do agree Peggy Lee would be a reach, Yuna would either need to be older or show herself capable of playing older to suit Lee's iconic take on the song. Lee was apparently around 38 when she recorded and rewrote the song. Also, according to wikipedia, Lee wrote the Romeo and Juliet and Pocahantas verse of the song, which people now think of as part of the original. I always thought that verse stood out as being much more original and playful than the other parts of the song. Now I know why!

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!

Personally I don't like Beyonce's version of the song, either. I did get the feeling she wasn't that comfortable pulling those moves in front of the audience.

Krislite

Medalist
Come at me, Yunatics!

J/K, please don't hurt me...

[...]

Yunatic? That I've never heard before. :laugh: I've heard of Yuna fans, Chanatics and Maodroids, but not Yunatics. I do remember the term "Kwanatic", though. There's still a lot of those around here, eh Mathman? ;)

brightphoton

Medalist
I was wowed by Yuna's performances at the Olympics, but her competitive programs this year are just ordinary. I didn't like Mediation from Thais either. Her skating is lovely and she has good jumps, but I don't see the artistry everyone likes to talk about. I'm not going to comment on Fever because I only made it 30 seconds into the fan vid.

*Yuna flips her hair*
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
*Yuna moves her hips*
EEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!
*Yuna skates on one leg*
SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

L

lowtherlore

... Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!

I know what you mean, Serious Business. And I agree Peggy Lee's take on the song has far more substance than Beyonce's. But I think Yu-Na's program IS actually consistent with the Beyonce's version, so in that regard I liked the choreographic moves in the program. Whether I like Peggy Lee's version better is a different matter. That said, I too didn't like the sudden swing to techno, or the cheap brothel looking costume either. That was not a good match to the Beyonce version either. It didn't need to be totally classy, but it could have been sassier.

I would love to see Yu-Na do more jazz, as I believe she's capable of doing convincing job with classic jazz numbers too. And I don't think we need to wait years to see that happen, since I think she's a phenom in feeling the music and understanding choreographic moves.