Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: All That Skate-Spring 2011

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    Having...SO MUCH FUN after SO MUCH HARDWORK...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGpVDfpSJo
    lol at David Wilson

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Jeremy Abbott's piece to "Hometown Glory" was mindblowing. I'm familiar with the song and I've seen it used in other contexts, but when I watched Abbott skate to it, I felt like I've finally heard the song. He does a seamless job of bringing out the nuances in the song's phrasing and emotions. The edge work. The first two jumps set to silence. One of the best skates I've seen.

Unfortunately it hasn't been shown on TV yet, but here's the best fan cam version I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_xfWR_EWzw

Other random thoughts:

Stephane Lambiel isn't just a great dancer on ice, but a great choreographer. His new piece to Jamie Cullum's jazz cover of "Don't Stop the Music" is perfectly conceived. Love the instep slide he does. More skaters need to use him as a choreographer.

Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck...
    You're a braver bloke (or blokette) than I am, Gunga Din.

But yeah...I don't think Yu-na could have taken on Peggy Lee.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You're a braver bloke (or blokette) than I am, Gunga Din.

But yeah...I don't think Yu-na could have taken on Peggy Lee.
    Come at me, Yunatics!

J/K, please don't hurt me...

But to Mathman, I do think Yuna can and has done sexy and sultry very successfully in the past. Really, her slowly drawing a gun out of her garter in the James Bond SP was sexier than this entire program put together. But I do agree Peggy Lee would be a reach, Yuna would either need to be older or show herself capable of playing older to suit Lee's iconic take on the song. Lee was apparently around 38 when she recorded and rewrote the song. Also, according to wikipedia, Lee wrote the Romeo and Juliet and Pocahantas verse of the song, which people now think of as part of the original. I always thought that verse stood out as being much more original and playful than the other parts of the song. Now I know why!

Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!
    Personally I don't like Beyonce's version of the song, either. I did get the feeling she wasn't that comfortable pulling those moves in front of the audience.

Custom Title
    That's so troll. Take that dumb troll sh!t somewhere else.
    Last edited by parma; 05-09-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Come at me, Yunatics!

J/K, please don't hurt me...

[...]
    Yunatic? That I've never heard before. I've heard of Yunabots, Chanatics and Maodroids, but not Yunatics. I do remember the term "Kwanatic", though. There's still a lot of those around here, eh Mathman?

Custom Title
    I was wowed by Yuna's performances at the Olympics, but her competitive programs this year are just ordinary. I didn't like Mediation from Thais either. Her skating is lovely and she has good jumps, but I don't see the artistry everyone likes to talk about. I'm not going to comment on Fever because I only made it 30 seconds into the fan vid.

*Yuna flips her hair*
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
    *Yuna moves her hips*
    EEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!
    *Yuna skates on one leg*
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

lowtherlore
    ... Yuna's piece to Beyonce's "Fever" was a train wreck in every regard. Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!
    I know what you mean, Serious Business. And I agree Peggy Lee's take on the song has far more substance than Beyonce's. But I think Yu-Na's program IS actually consistent with the Beyonce's version, so in that regard I liked the choreographic moves in the program. Whether I like Peggy Lee's version better is a different matter. That said, I too didn't like the sudden swing to techno, or the cheap brothel looking costume either. That was not a good match to the Beyonce version either. It didn't need to be totally classy, but it could have been sassier.

I would love to see Yu-Na do more jazz, as I believe she's capable of doing convincing job with classic jazz numbers too. And I don't think we need to wait years to see that happen, since I think she's a phenom in feeling the music and understanding choreographic moves.

accroding to this site http://www.kurtfiles.com/index.php

Kurt Browning will be in Korea for Yuna's next ice show this August!

Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    accroding to this site http://www.kurtfiles.com/index.php

Kurt Browning will be in Korea for Yuna's next ice show this August!
    Good news! Yuna needs to bring in some more of the old-timers to her show. Ilia and Katia were pretty good at ATS Spring.

Hoping Michelle Kwan goes to the summer show, too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Yunatic? That I've never heard before. I've heard of Yunabots, Chanatics and Maodroids, but not Yunatics. I do remember the term "Kwanatic", though. There's still a lot of those around here, eh Mathman?
    As the old B-movie Westerns used to say, smile when you say that, pardner. I've got your back, Mathman.

Kwanatic...I like the sound of that. I like thinking of myself as a bot of some skater. (Well, two, including Kurt.) It makes me feel so...initiated.

As for the news that Kurt will skate in August's program, yippeeeee! Wish I could fly out to see that one.
    Last edited by Olympia; 05-10-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Custom Title
    Beyonce's wild quavering butchers the standard, and Yuna matched it with her jittery and unsure movement. Both the singer and the dancer utterly lacked the smooth, self-assured sultriness the song demands. And then near the end, the song briefly and incomprehensibly turns techno. Just so things can get worse. Bleecccch!
    Funny. What you have just described matches the literal meaning of 'You give me Fever' perfectly. Beyonce's version is provocative and feverishly sexier.

We are at the current thriving age of pulp excess gaga land of 2010s where subtlety is precious and rare. Just how realistically can one 'Fever' with the smooth, self-assured sultriness of the Hollywood fantasy film noir of the 50s? Being sexy doesn't happen in dreamland castle bounded bedrooms with Harp music playing in the background any more; it is the clubs, bars, lounges, stages, parties, where yes even some technos are sometimes playing in the background.

Beyonce brought the song 'Fever' to its current age, and Yuna was faithful to that interpretation, a girl of her generation.
    Last edited by os168; 05-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Custom Title
    I checked Serious B's previous posts. Just another troll in the cave.
    Last edited by parma; 05-10-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parma View Post
    I checked Serious B's previous posts. Just another troll in the cave.
    Not liking Yuna's new exhibition program does not make one a troll.

I don't like it too much either but I am older and understand "Fever" is a program meant to entertain Yuna's younger fans.

I see nothing wrong with that and judging from the crowd reaction the program went over very well.

Not sure why but I always prefer Yuna's comp programs over her exhibition programs and often feel the opposite about Mao.

Just a matter of taste and I much prefer Alissa's "Moon River" program to "Fever."
    Last edited by janetfan; 05-10-2011 at 08:06 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast