Step Sequences and Levels | Golden Skate

Step Sequences and Levels

Looking over the ISU's descriptions of the Step Sequences descriptions, I notice there are no Levels differentiating the three ordained types: Straight, Circurlar and Serpentine. The rule does give the skater an option for which is the easiest to execute.

I think skaters know that the straight line is the easiest followed by the circular and the serpentine is the hardest. Yet, there are no additional credits in selecting a harder type. No?

In the Short Program, at least, why can they not drop the option and name one of the types? I would certainly suggest the Serpentine for Seniors and watch their basics when edges change.

What would your preference be? or would you prefer the options?

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Designating a type of step sequences would be so interesting.

Your take on this issue reminds me of Michelle's Spartacus SP in '05. At the US Nationals where the 6.0 system was still used, her circular footwork was so beautifully synched to the grandeur section of the piece. 2 months later in Moscow under CoP, she had to pack a more time consuming and point getter spin combo so everything else had to give, including the change to a shorter, more rushed Straightline, ditto Spiral. I also love Lori's programs for Mao where she can show off her soft knees with Circular/ Serpentine rather than the more 'harsh' Straighline in some of her other programs.

I don't know as much as you re: edge changes etc involved in each type, but logically Serpentine and Circular take more time, thus deserving of more points even from that perspective, no?

And a bit off topic, but seeing short programs on youtube with designated jump combos back in the '80s was fun. With a loop combo named, some did 3f/2l, 2l/3l, etc - so much variety! Something like 'of the jump elements taking aside the required axel, at least one of them should contain an edge jump" would be nice. After all edge jumps and toe jumps require different skills right?

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If step sequences were given -GOE for not adhering to the selected pattern then more people would do Serpentine Step sequences because it provides you with more ice coverage and that would allow you to get in more steps/turns for a higher level. It's nearly impossible to do a Level 4 Straightline footwork sequence with any amount of speed if you actually go in a straight line across the rink.

I would say Circular footwork is the most versatile pattern because it tends to work best for slower music, but is still effective for uptempo, and you can pack plenty of complexity into the pattern. It will never have quite the same shot of adrenaline as a very fast Straightline footwork across the ice, though.

Serpentine is best for sweeping movements across the ice.