Which seeded skaters will do three GP events? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which seeded skaters will do three GP events?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Shibutanis could choose do to SC as a third event, if a vacancy came up and the ISU offered them the opportunity. Of course, this would be their NON-SCORING event.

I hope everyone understands that a non-scoring event still keeps the placement (and prize money). So if the Shibs did SC and finished 2nd, beating W/P, the Shibs would win silver and no points, but W/P would get bronze and 11 (not 13) points.

That's the main objection to seeds doing extra events---it stacks the deck against the other competitors.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The Shibutanis could choose do to SC as a third event, if a vacancy came up and the ISU offered them the opportunity. Of course, this would be their NON-SCORING event.

And I'm not entirely clear on how this works, either. You're right, though.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You sound defensive, and for your sake I hope the Shibs don't go to Canada and KO one of your teams from the GPF.
What a horrifying thought :eek: :p

ImaginaryPogue is one of the most rational, analytical, and articulate posters in GS and his/her patient answer to your "Canadian dance fan paranoia" is typically so. Adding another baseless characterization instead of supporting your original accusation constrasts you in a very unfavorable light IMO.

janetfan

Match Penalty
ImaginaryPogue is one of the most rational, analytical, and articulate posters in GS and his patient answer to your "Canadian dance fan paranoia" is typically so. Adding another baseless characterization instead of supporting your original accusation constrasts you in a very unfavorable light IMO.

Easy to see the sporting view from Canada. No Shibs at SC.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Easy to see the sporting view from Canada. No Shibs at SC.

Nobody here gets to choose who goes where, so it's all speculations, some done more logically and comprehensively than others. I don't think most of the opinions reflect any personal preferences but rather the speculated skaters' and federations' preferences, based on various factors.

Projection of motives is rather self revealing.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Nobody here gets to choose who goes where, so it's all speculations, some done more logically and comprehensively than others. I don't think most of the opinions reflect any personal preferences but rather the speculated skaters' and federations' preferences, based on various factors.

Projection of motives is rather self revealing.

We all have different opinions about what constitutes sport and competition.
Personally, I hope Skate America gets the best intl skaters possible because that makes it more enjoyable for me.

Others feel differently with more of a protectionist view for their hometown favorites. That is natural but feels as much like a pageant mentality as it does a sporting one.

IP - I'm not clear on the rules of entrants. If we just take, for example SA Ladies, 2 top skaters will be placed in each of that Hosts events, plus the normal Host to add someone else. So Kostner and Yuna are in SA, and the remaining contestants would be 3 of the Hosts selection. Now there are 5 out of 8 slots filled. Are the 3 remaining slots filled by the "Best Season Score List". If the remaining 3 are tied to the best seasonal score list, how are they selected for each of the events? Apparently, the invitations selections are no longer part of the schem.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
The rules are still a little unclear. For example, we know that the seeds can participate in a third GP event, but we don't know where the third event selection takes place. The ISU has also stated that there are "certain conditions" attached to the third event, but we don't know what those are. This was the old system, as written by chuckm

Host picks - 3 in each discipline for each host

Seeds - Each host gets 1 of the 1-3 seeds and 1 of the 4-6 seeds in each discipline

Worlds 7-12 - Each host gets 2 in each discipline from this category

World Ranking top 24 - of those not already selected, at least one per host/discipline

SB list top 24 / JGPF medalists / JW medalists - of those not already selected at least one per host/discipline

It's the bolded section that'll see the changes. The top 12 at worlds are still guaranteed two GP events. So does the third slot go before WR? Before SB list? Are the JGPF/JW medalists still guaranteed a spot? If so, then we'll see it after the whole process - which, imo, is most fair to the skaters and the best way for this to be done. However, if it's before the bolded selection, it becomes trickier. So basically, all my (and anyone's) speculations are based on conjecture and what we hope to see, admittedly.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think all the seeds are offered the chance to SCHEDULE 3 events right off the bat. If they do, they have to declare which one will be the non-scoring event. If they don't pre-schedule a 3rd event, they can still get first call on any vacancies, which would automatically be the non-scoring event.

As mentioned previously, the top seeds do get to state their preferences for their events. #1 seed gets first choice, #2 next, then #3. These preferences are usually honored.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think all the seeds are offered the chance to SCHEDULE 3 events right off the bat. If they do, they have to declare which one will be the non-scoring event. If they don't pre-schedule a 3rd event, they can still get first call on any vacancies, which would automatically be the non-scoring event.

As mentioned previously, the top seeds do get to state their preferences for their events. #1 seed gets first choice, #2 next, then #3. These preferences are usually honored.

Yet another thing to consider. I almost hope that no seeds take on a third event, just to ignore the ISU.

Not such an easy change to be understand. I can't believe there will be empty slots in all divisions in each event. SA Ladies, I doubt there will be an empty slot. Question: Is an empty slot manditory? If so the SA Ladies, will have 1 manditory spot for whomever, 2 spots for Top Seeded skaters and 3 skaters for Host selection; all totalling 6 skaters. 2 more from the Worlds Ranking, I presume. 3, if new regulation of 3 seeded skaters is not imposed.

One other question: If Czisny is already a seeded skater, how can the ISU select her for SA? In reality, I don't see many empty slots, but that's another topic. Pairs, maybe.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe one of the reasons for instituting 3 events for seeds is to make up for the absense of top skaters like Kim, Ando, and possibly Kostner. There goes all the Ladies medalists.

The post Olympic year saw the non participation of Lysacek, Plushenko, Kim, Rochette, and Weir, with Lambiel formally retired, and then the Japan disasters resutling in Worlds being postponed and relocated, with all kinds of financial and legal issues still to be worked out I am sure. Now star depletion continues with all three Ladies medalists taking their breaks. ISU is hoping the remaining stars will hard harder, even after two extra long and difficult seasons. Maybe the new stars will pick up the slack to build themselves up further.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe one of the reasons for instituting 3 events for seeds is to make up for the absense of top skaters like Kim, Ando, and possibly Kostner. There goes all the Ladies medalists.

The post Olympic year saw the non participation of Lysacek, Plushenko, Kim, Rochette, and Weir, with Lambiel formally retired, and then the Japan disasters resutling in Worlds being postponed and relocated, with all kinds of financial and legal issues still to be worked out I am sure. Now star depletion continues with all three Ladies medalists taking their breaks. ISU is hoping the remaining stars will hard harder, even after two extra long and difficult seasons. Maybe the new stars will pick up the slack to build themselves up further.

The two Russian starlets will be skating senior GP's this fall. That will cause a stir in the Ladies division. Kanako is ready to step up after a successful debut. There are also exciting new Men on the rise. And of course the Shibs' star is shining rather brightly at the moment.

No need to knock any of the newcomers as they are the future of the sport. If the Shibs bore a certain poster to death he can do what I do at times and take a kitchen break.

Not such an easy change to be understand. I can't believe there will be empty slots in all divisions in each event. SA Ladies, I doubt there will be an empty slot.

I believe it would go something like this. (This is based on Imaginary Pogue's mock draft. :rock:)

1. Host picks: Alissa Czisny, Ashley Wagner, Christina Gao.

2. Seeds: Carolina Kostner from 1-3. We do not get a 4-6 pick because we already have Alissa.

3. 7-12 at Worlds: Elena Gedevaishvila and Kiira Korpi.

4. Top 24 worlds ranking: Haruka Imai

5. Junior GP, Jr Worlds, etc.: Yasmin Sirai (IP took Zijun Li instead :) )

This is eight skaters so far. Now the ISU steps in and says, Miki Ando signed up for three events and so far she only has two (NHK and CoR), So we will assign Ando to Skate America.

The USFSA says, "No, no, anything but that! Poor Alissa! Can't you give us Alena Leonova instead?"

ISU says, OK.

That's nine. Now we pick Mae-Bernice Meite for our tenth.

^ Wait, I meant "Go Siraj" in the sense of "hurray for Siraj," not "Go to Canada, Siraj."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Siraj is only 14 and she is very tiny. I doubt the USFS would submit her name for the GP and IMO she will do the JGP again this season.

Siraj is one of those talented up and coming kids who may make the US worlds team by 2014. But we have to wait and see how she develops in the next few seasons and when she becomes Senior.

From reading this thread, I feel that the revised GP is a wait and see for the official regulations. There is nothing new on the ISU website regarding the 2011 GPs.