Which seeded skaters will do three GP events? | Golden Skate

Which seeded skaters will do three GP events?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have not started a speculation thread before but now that it's off season and I'm inspired by two hot threads - "Changes To GP Structure for 2011-2012" and "Who should USFS select for Skate America?"

Next season the seeded skaters can participate in 3 GP events but each will have only 2 counted toward ranking points and GPF entry. Obviously they have to indicate their decisions before the assignments since they will affect the rest of the entries. Given the restrictions that these skaters cannot meet each other in the same category, i.e. 1-3 and 4-6, in these events, it's a bit tricky which events they may be slotted in. Then there are locations and schedule each seed will have to consider, complicating things further. What do the seeds get out of going to an extra event? Prize money. But no extra credits, no better GPF chances, no team benefits. Is it worth the time, energy, expenses, and jet lags? Especially for anyone who is also a student. Will any of them want to do back to back competitions?

This is the event order to consider:

Skate America
Skate Canada
Cup Of China
NHK
Trophee Eric Bompard
Cup OF Russia

These are the seeds:

LADIES:

1. Miki ANDO*
2. Yuna KIM*
3. Carolina KOSTNER
4. Alena LEONOVA
5. Alissa CZISNY
6. Mao ASADA
7. Ksenia MARAKOVA
8. kanako MURAKAMI

*Likely not participating in GP series.

MEN

1. Patrick CHAN
2. Takahiko KOZUKA
3. Artur GACHINSKY
4. Michal BREZINA
5. Daisuke TAKAHASHI
6. Nobunari ODA

So, which 2 or 3 events will each seed go to?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Suzuki, Korpi, Lysacek and Verner are not seeded skaters.

Seeded skaters are the top 6 from 2011 Worlds.

For MEN:
Chan
Kozuka
Gachinski
Brezina
Takahashi
Oda

For LADIES:
Ando
Kim
Kostner
Leonova
Czisny
Asada

If Kim and Ando decide not to do the GP and are not given initial assignments, then Makarova and Murakami move up to seeded status. However, if Kim and Ando ARE given assignments and later withdraw from them, then those seeded positions are vacant and will be filled with substitute skaters (the 3-6 seeds if they have not already opted for 3 events, otherwise skaters from the substitute list).

Korpi and Verner are each guaranteed two assignments for finishing in the top 12, but are not seeded and cannot do 3 events. If Lysacek wants to compete in the GP, he is guaranteed two assignments as a returning Olympic medalist, but he will not be seeded. Suzuki is not guaranteed two assignments, but probably will get two.

Kostner is having ankle surgery during the off season, so it is doubtful that she would be able to do 3 events. Even if Ando and Kim decide to do the GP, both have indicated how exhausted they are, so their participation in 3 events is unlikely.

On the Men's side, Brezina and Takahashi have had their injuries this season and probably wouldn't want to do 3 events.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
So I was confused about the seeds. Worlds standings were my initial understanding but all these talks about world ranking got to me. I'm correcting the first post.

Given the restrictions that these skaters cannot meet each other in the same category, i.e. 1-3 and 4-6, in these events, it's a bit tricky which events they may be slotted in.

Indeed, it is impossible for that restriction to be retained if even one seeded skater does one extra event.

My understanding is that after the host picks, then after the seeded skaters get their two, then after all the skaters that are guaranteed one or two spots get their guarenteed allotment -- then the ISU will start "assigning" skaters to fill the remaining spots.

This is strange language to me, because it seems like the remaining spots should be filled by invitation of the host, not by iSU "assignment."

Anyway, I presume, but do not know, that the ISU will offer the seeds first choice of refusal f r the vacasnt spots, then go down their various lists after that.

As to what the seeded skaters get out of the deal, the only thing I can think of is the extra prize money. Or maybe they just like to compete. :)

sigrid

On the Ice
IIRC Takahashi is going to have a surgery this summer, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't compete in the GP events

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The host picks, 1-6 seeds and 7-12 at Worlds are chosen first, in that order. THEN comes selection from the rest of the top 24 in World Ranking, and then from the rest of the top 24 on the Seasons Best list.

If Kim and Ando drop out, and maybe Kostner due to surgery, that will elevate Czisny to the 1-3 category. She might want to do 3 events. (Skate America, Skate Canada and Skate Russia),

The strategy of her coaching team seems to be to compete is as many events as possible to help ward off nerves when the biggies come around at the end of the season.

Someone like Murakami might like to do three because, first of all she is young enough to stand the pace :), and secondly she could put herself on the map big time with three wins.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Indeed, it is impossible for that restriction to be retained if even one seeded skater does one extra event.

My understanding is that after the host picks, then after the seeded skaters get their two, then after all the skaters that are guaranteed one or two spots get their guarenteed allotment -- then the ISU will start "assigning" skaters to fill the remaining spots.

This is strange language to me, because it seems like the remaining spots should be filled by invitation of the host, not by iSU "assignment."

Anyway, I presume, but do not know, that the ISU will offer the seeds first choice of refusal f r the vacasnt spots, then go down their various lists after that.

As to what the seeded skaters get out of the deal, the only thing I can think of is the extra prize money. Or maybe they just like to compete. :)

The hosts do the initial selections. After all the slots are filled, the ISU draws up a substitute list, from which all the vacancies are filled in order. Hosts will have no say as to who will fill a vacancy. Of course, in practice if CoR has a vacancy within two weeks of the competition, there might be visa problems for some skaters and not for others.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Kim and Ando drop out, and maybe Kostner due to surgery, that will elevate Czisny to the 1-3 category. She might want to do 3 events. (Skate America, Skate Canada and Skate Russia),

The strategy of her coaching team seems to be to compete is as many events as possible to help ward off nerves when the biggies come around at the end of the season.

Someone like Murakami might like to do three because, first of all she is young enough to stand the pace :), and secondly she could put herself on the map big time with three wins.

Again it depends on what the Korean, Japanese and Italian federations do at the GP meeting. If they nominate Kim, Ando and Kostner for GP participation and they are all issued invitations, but later withdraw, NO ONE moves up in seeded position.

If they all decline participation, then yes Czisny becomes #1 seed, Leonova #2, Asada #3, Makarova #4, Murakami #5, and Korpi #6.

My guess is none of the top three will be withdrawn before or at the GP meeting, they will be chosen for two events each (none of them will opt for 3) and they will withdraw later on from one or more events. So it's up to Czisny (who might do 3), Leonova (not sure, as she isn't that good in the early season) and Asada (could go either way) on subbing for the withdrawn seeds.

SkateSkates

Medalist
So say skater X places 2nd and 5th at their first two assignments, and to qualify for the GPF they need to place at least 3rd. Would they be able to enter another GP later in the series? I am a little bit confused and frankly don't think 3 GP assignments is a good idea, especially after two long seasons in a row (Olympic season, Worlds in May...).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The possible back to back events will be 3 groups down the schedule: SA + SC, COC + NHK, and TEB + COR.

The N American seeds are Czisny and Chan.

The Asian seeds - Ladies: Asada, Murakami, (same category) ; Men: Kozuka, Takahashi, and Oda, the latter two in the same category, with Takahashi possibly not participating, or just 2 events.

The European seeds - Ladies: Kostner, Leonova (same category), and Marakova; Men: Gachinsky and Brezina.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding is the skaters could opt for 3 assignments right off, and they would have to specify which ones were going to count. But the seeds could opt for 2 events only but get the opportunity to do a third because of a withdrawal. In that case, the event as the substitute would not count.

I agree that the 3-event idea is a bad one, especially since the number of entries has been reduced. In singles, half the roster would be skaters from the top 12 at Worlds!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The European seeds - Ladies: Kostner, Leonova (same category), and Marakova; Men: Gachinsky and Brezina.

Makarova would be a seed only if one of Ando, Kim, Kostner announced non-participation in the 2011-2012 before or at the GP meeting. If all three were initially assigned to GP events, then Makarova would not be seeded.

The possible back to back events will be 3 groups down the schedule: SA + SC, COC + NHK, and TEB + COR.

That is an interesting point. I wonder if they scheduled the events that way on purpose.

In 2005 Alissa was a last minute substitution for Michelle Kwan at Skate America, them a last minute substitution for Sasha Cohen at Skate Canada. She had to pack up and go with only a day or two notice, and she got the assignment in large part because she was the only one who lived close enough to hop on the red eye and make it there in time.

She got second and first, evidently not having had time to get nervous.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My understanding is the skaters could opt for 3 assignments right off, and they would have to specify which ones were going to count. But the seeds could opt for 2 events only but get the opportunity to do a third because of a withdrawal. In that case, the event as the substitute would not count.

I agree that the 3-event idea is a bad one, especially since the number of entries has been reduced. In singles, half the roster would be skaters from the top 12 at Worlds!

Not only is it a pretty bad idea for depriving non-seeded skaters, it is not even enticing or easy for the seeds to do the extra events. So it's not even a pragmatic idea, more of a desperate measure in hope of generating more badly needed cash. I wonder how much the loss from Tokyo will be and how the negotiations are going.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is one instance where a host would have the opportunity to select a substitute: if a host pick withdraws.

For example, suppose Takahashi was submitted by the JSF for GP assignments, and one was NHK (host pick). If Tak then later withdrew from his assignments, Japan could choose another Japanese skater to take his place, and they could pick Oda or Kozuka, if neither one was a host pick and had not opted initially for a 3rd event.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure the JSF will already have Kozuka and one of Oda and Takahashi (if participating) at NHK. So if the second skater withdraws, the other from that 4-6 goup may be invited. If Kozuka withdraws, they will have to replace him with another 1-3 seed.

It seems like there is no advantage to a federation to withdraw a skater early, and no penalty for entering a skater who withdraws later.

If I remember correctly, when Sasha Cohen withdrew from the 2009 Eric Bompard, they just went short-handed. France had not filled their host picks anyway and had no one to put in the spot.

If Kozuka withdraws, they will have to replace him with another 1-3 seed.

Hmm. I don't think so. I think if your scheduled 1-3 withdraws, then you just don't have one at the competition.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hmm. I don't think so. I think if you scheduled 1-3 withdraws, then you just don't have one at the competition.

I should have qualified my statement with "if available", because now such a seed may compete in a 3rd event. In any event, they can't put an additional 4-6 Japanese guy in Kozuka's place.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

The N American seeds are Czisny and Chan.

The Asian seeds - Ladies: Asada, Murakami, (same category) ; Men: Kozuka, Takahashi, and Oda, the latter two in the same category, with Takahashi possibly not participating, or just 2 events.

Continuing with this train, these back to back possibilities are enhanced by the fact that one host of each event group has no seeds of their own, partially true for the N American group. Namely, COC, TEB, and no seeds in Men for SA and no seeds in Ladies for SC.