Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Which seeded skaters will do three GP events?

Custom Title
    There is one instance where a host would have the opportunity to select a substitute: if a host pick withdraws.

For example, suppose Takahashi was submitted by the JSF for GP assignments, and one was NHK (host pick). If Tak then later withdrew from his assignments, Japan could choose another Japanese skater to take his place, and they could pick Oda or Kozuka, if neither one was a host pick and had not opted initially for a 3rd event.

Custom Title
    I'm pretty sure the JSF will already have Kozuka and one of Oda and Takahashi (if participating) at NHK. So if the second skater withdraws, the other from that 4-6 goup may be invited. If Kozuka withdraws, they will have to replace him with another 1-3 seed.

It seems like there is no advantage to a federation to withdraw a skater early, and no penalty for entering a skater who withdraws later.

If I remember correctly, when Sasha Cohen withdrew from the 2009 Eric Bompard, they just went short-handed. France had not filled their host picks anyway and had no one to put in the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    If Kozuka withdraws, they will have to replace him with another 1-3 seed.
    Hmm. I don't think so. I think if your scheduled 1-3 withdraws, then you just don't have one at the competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Hmm. I don't think so. I think if you scheduled 1-3 withdraws, then you just don't have one at the competition.
    I should have qualified my statement with "if available", because now such a seed may compete in a 3rd event. In any event, they can't put an additional 4-6 Japanese guy in Kozuka's place.

Custom Title
    The possible back to back events will be 3 groups down the schedule: SA + SC, COC + NHK, and TEB + COR.

The N American seeds are Czisny and Chan.

The Asian seeds - Ladies: Asada, Murakami, (same category) ; Men: Kozuka, Takahashi, and Oda, the latter two in the same category, with Takahashi possibly not participating, or just 2 events.

The European seeds - Ladies: Kostner, Leonova (same category), and Marakova; Men: Gachinsky and Brezina.
    Continuing with this train, these back to back possibilities are enhanced by the fact that one host of each event group has no seeds of their own, partially true for the N American group. Namely, COC, TEB, and no seeds in Men for SA and no seeds in Ladies for SC.

I know we've focused on men and ladies, but I think the dancers will be interesting to look at as well. I can see V/M and D/W only doing two events because they are at the level where they don't need competition experience and/or the ego boost of winning a GP medal. I think the Shibutanis will definitely do three because they are young and energetic and would like to see improvement on their events from last season. I think Bobrova/Soloviev & Weaver/Poje will also do three to help improve world rankings and get feedback on their programs moving towards the GPF and Europeans, 4CC & Worlds. Pechalat & Bourzat have been around long enough that they don't need the experience, but perhaps after a coaching change they'll want some more exposure with their new programs and style.

Depending on what events their teams are invited to, I could also see Zoueva & Shpilband deliberately having V/M and D/W not do a third event if it will help one of their other teams place higher and qualify for the Final, i.e. the Shibutanis, Chock & Zuerlein, and Samuelson & Bates.

Custom Title
    No way the Shibs do three. I actually think V/M will do three as will Volosozhar/Trankov.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No way the Shibs do three.
    Why not?

I'm still at a loss for the reasons the ISU is downsizing the number of the GP participants I would appreciate it if anyone is in the know.

another important question: What reasons are given to using Seeded Skaters?

It seems to me, that if the number of participants are being downsized, what would make the GP slots empty? I'm aware that fans are not interested in questioning authority, and I would be the same, but a blunt change is not to my liking without an explanation. Speculation is not the way to go.

Instead of naming the seeded skaters for a third GP, I would suggest to replacing the GP Series with a Series for Seeded Skaters only. This would work for the ISU for whatever reason, and for the Fans whose interests do not go beyond the seeded skaters.

It's sad for me to see this Sport in its entirety to be shown on computer only.

Custom Title
    It's sad for me to see this Sport in its entirety to be shown on computer only.
    I think the ISU is trying to prevent this with star power, thus the increased spots for seeds while reducing over all entries for cost reduction.

Given the current situation, with ISU cash crunch and concentration of skating stars and popularity in certain regions, what do you suggest they do as realistic measures? Let's hear your solutions instead of just criticisms, which are definitely not in short supply, contrary to your assertion. Please leave out the kill CoP option because that we have heard from you in every post but, really, TV fans don't care. Especially the non American ones.

Personally, I think their focus should be on two major markets, one to develop, namely China, and one to revitalize, namely the U.S., which is also the major concern with most GS members.

If you feel there is much to say about your solutions, a new thread may be interesting.

eta. Sorry but I think there is already a thread for this, the Changes to GP Structure.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 05-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Why not?
    Just my perception. It also depends on the federation as well. I can't imagine SC wanting them, whereas TEB and CoR definitely do. Even though they're young, too much traveling and competing does take it's toll (see Denis Ten). The judges already like them - but giving the competition more opportunity to dismiss you as a fluke isn't a good thing. If they're that eager to get out their programs early, go to Nebelhorn (or better, Finlandia)

I think the ISU is trying to prevent this with star power, thus the increased spots for seeds while reducing over all entries for cost reduction.
    I'm afraid the star power is limited to the Fans on skating blogs. San Francisco is a lovely city to visit, but how many would want to go to see a skating competition?

Given the current situation, with ISU cash crunch and concentration of skating stars and popularity in certain regions, what do you suggest they do as realistic measures?
    As I said on another thread, Replace the GP Series with a Pre-Worlds Series of Seeded Skaters. This may improve the financial situation with the ISU.

Personally, I think their focus should be on two major markets, one to develop, namely China, and one to revitalize, namely the U.S., which is also the major concern with most GS members.
    If and only if, China needs assistance in getting more interest in figure skating, then drop it. As for the US, the reasons for most fans (other than blogs) losing interest in figure skating were given elsewhere on this Forum.

If you feel there is much to say about your solutions, a new thread may be interesting.
    I doubt that a thread on suggested solutions would be much of interest to fans who are not interested (except for some) in the workings of the Sport. Most prefer to discuss what they are interested in, and questioning the rules and regulations of the ISU is very limited to a few.

I was brought up to question authority - not just to accept it. Yes, I was one of those rebellious kids in college quite awhile ago.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I was brought up to question authority - not just to accept it. Yes, I was one of those rebellious kids in college quite awhile ago.
    That is obvious. So much so you need to create or exaggerate the compliant to support your cherished self image and status.

Being brought up to do so and needing to do so as a raison d'etre actually means you are moulded and are conforming.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Just my perception. It also depends on the federation as well. I can't imagine SC wanting them, whereas TEB and CoR definitely do. Even though they're young, too much traveling and competing does take it's toll (see Denis Ten). The judges already like them - but giving the competition more opportunity to dismiss you as a fluke isn't a good thing. If they're that eager to get out their programs early, go to Nebelhorn (or better, Finlandia)
    And you can't imagine NHK might want the Shibs? :sheesh:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando View Post
    And you can't imagine NHK might want the Shibs? :sheesh:
    That's one. So if they do three, they won't do SC, which two others do you think they'll do?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast