Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

Rinkside

Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

With most of the focus and attention geared towards Alissa, Mirai, Rachael, and the newbies. I started thinking about Ashley and Caroline. Do you think these two have a chance to make the podium at next years nationals and possibly be selected for the national team for the 2012 Worlds ?

Custom Title
    Gee, I always hope that people who have shown promise will continue to do so. I'm especially fond of Caroline, and she has many excellent qualities to her skating. I hate to think she's fizzled out.

Custom Title
    Of the two, Ashley has the better chance of making the podium, but I'd say her chances are none too good if she doesn't stop doublefooting her jumps. She got < from the US tech team at Nationals, and would get < and << from ISU tech teams.

Caroline has gotten slower than ever, and she also has a UR problem. Her skating is lackluster, as if she doesn't believe in herself and is just going through the motions. Sorry, I don't see her anywhere near the podium unless she's undergone a major makeover.

IMO, Nagasu, Gao and Zawadzki are the frontrunners for the 2012 podium. And of course you can add in Flatt, if she fully recovers from her injury and is back in top shape.

Custom Title
    Why not Czisny?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    How tall are Ashley and Caroline?

I think Ashley might make the podium, but unless something major happens, I don't think Caroline will be on it. She looks like she doesn't really care anymore sometimes. I think she's on her way out of the top with Alexe Gilles, unless something major happens on Gilles' end too.

Custom Title
    Miss Sylvia posted a note over at FSUniverse that Caroline took the lead in the short program at the California Championship.

Custom Title
    She beat 14-year-old Leah Keiser (just up from Juniors) by a little more than one point. Caroline isn't planning to compete in the FS. Leah did land a 3/3, Caroline a 3/2.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    How tall are Ashley and Caroline?
    Ashley is like 5'2"-5'3" and Caroline 5'4"-5'5" maybe? Somewhere around there, both pretty normal heights for a singles skater

Custom Title
    Zhang is done and Wagner needs to put it together soon because the younger girls are going to pass her up also. Quite frankly i hope Flatt, Wagner and Alissa are soon to be done because none of them will win World medals. It's up to Mirai and Agnes and maybe Christina for now. Who knows the Junior skaters may make a splash in the next couple years you just never know.

Custom Title
    Ashley is my favorite American lady so I certainly hope she will come back strong this season. I am a little worried about her getting 2 GP assignments this year with all these spots reductions. I am not sure about Caroline though. She is so far behind that she will definitely will not be a force this season but she is also young. I hope that if she is committed to improve she might become competitive again in 2-3 years.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In the junior ranks, Courtney Hicks may do well in the future. She was 4th in the FS at Jr worlds at her international Junior debut, ahead of Gao in that segment of the competition. Gao has not impressed me this year, but part of the problem is perhaps that she is going through one of those difficult senior/junior transitions. Or she could be way over-hyped. Take your choice.

As to Wagner and Zhang, I wish them luck, but unless they do things very differently next year, they will finish off the podium yet again. Ashley needs to fix her posture and her double footing and occasional underrotation. Zhang still needs so much work on her basics, it is very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Quite frankly i hope Flatt, Wagner and Alissa are soon to be done...
    But the thing is, hoping won't do it. Someone actually has to beat them.

Custom Title
    Czisny and Flatt aren't going away. If the up-and-comers and going-downers can surpass them, good for them.

Custom Title
    Well a mediocre Flatt and an aging jump limited Czisny aren't going to to be bringing home any medals from Sochi that's for sure so lets hope someone steps up for the US.
    Last edited by Jammers; 05-15-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast