Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ? | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

Jtsmith123

Rinkside
With most of the focus and attention geared towards Alissa, Mirai, Rachael, and the newbies. I started thinking about Ashley and Caroline. Do you think these two have a chance to make the podium at next years nationals and possibly be selected for the national team for the 2012 Worlds ?

Gee, I always hope that people who have shown promise will continue to do so. I'm especially fond of Caroline, and she has many excellent qualities to her skating. I hate to think she's fizzled out.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of the two, Ashley has the better chance of making the podium, but I'd say her chances are none too good if she doesn't stop doublefooting her jumps. She got < from the US tech team at Nationals, and would get < and << from ISU tech teams.

Caroline has gotten slower than ever, and she also has a UR problem. Her skating is lackluster, as if she doesn't believe in herself and is just going through the motions. Sorry, I don't see her anywhere near the podium unless she's undergone a major makeover.

IMO, Nagasu, Gao and Zawadzki are the frontrunners for the 2012 podium. And of course you can add in Flatt, if she fully recovers from her injury and is back in top shape.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Ashley might make the podium, but unless something major happens, I don't think Caroline will be on it. She looks like she doesn't really care anymore sometimes. I think she's on her way out of the top with Alexe Gilles, unless something major happens on Gilles' end too.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Miss Sylvia posted a note over at FSUniverse that Caroline took the lead in the short program at the California Championship.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She beat 14-year-old Leah Keiser (just up from Juniors) by a little more than one point. Caroline isn't planning to compete in the FS. Leah did land a 3/3, Caroline a 3/2.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhang is done and Wagner needs to put it together soon because the younger girls are going to pass her up also. Quite frankly i hope Flatt, Wagner and Alissa are soon to be done because none of them will win World medals. It's up to Mirai and Agnes and maybe Christina for now. Who knows the Junior skaters may make a splash in the next couple years you just never know.

babayaga

On the Ice
Ashley is my favorite American lady so I certainly hope she will come back strong this season. I am a little worried about her getting 2 GP assignments this year with all these spots reductions. I am not sure about Caroline though. She is so far behind that she will definitely will not be a force this season but she is also young. I hope that if she is committed to improve she might become competitive again in 2-3 years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the junior ranks, Courtney Hicks may do well in the future. She was 4th in the FS at Jr worlds at her international Junior debut, ahead of Gao in that segment of the competition. Gao has not impressed me this year, but part of the problem is perhaps that she is going through one of those difficult senior/junior transitions. Or she could be way over-hyped. Take your choice.

As to Wagner and Zhang, I wish them luck, but unless they do things very differently next year, they will finish off the podium yet again. Ashley needs to fix her posture and her double footing and occasional underrotation. Zhang still needs so much work on her basics, it is very sad.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Czisny and Flatt aren't going away. If the up-and-comers and going-downers can surpass them, good for them.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well a mediocre Flatt and an aging jump limited Czisny aren't going to to be bringing home any medals from Sochi that's for sure so lets hope someone steps up for the US.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner was never good enough even in her prime. She has never placed top 2 at Nationals even skating her best when the U.S were even weaker than today, and it seems the U.S is perennialy down to 2 spots. This year she wouldnt have placed much or any differently even skating her best, certainly not on the podium. So no hope for her.

Zhang is even below Wagner at this point, so no hope for her either.

But the thing is, hoping won't do it. Someone actually has to beat them.

People in the U.S have always beaten Wagner. Nobody is trying to knock her out of anything since she was never anything in the first place. Regarding Alissa and Flatt you are right.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Zhang is done ...........

........ kicking butt at the California Championship. Yes, that was a small club competition. But remember what the ancient Chinese used to say .......

..... "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single mule-kick." :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
No, Zhang is finished. Honestly. Stick a fork in her. She will NOT be a factor next season.

As for Wagner, she's not QUITE done yet but she will be soon if she doesn't take a BIG step forward next season. She is starting to get left behind now especially with Gao and Zawadzki emerging.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
In the junior ranks, Courtney Hicks may do well in the future. She was 4th in the FS at Jr worlds at her international Junior debut, ahead of Gao in that segment of the competition. Gao has not impressed me this year, but part of the problem is perhaps that she is going through one of those difficult senior/junior transitions. Or she could be way over-hyped. Take your choice.

As to Wagner and Zhang, I wish them luck, but unless they do things very differently next year, they will finish off the podium yet again. Ashley needs to fix her posture and her double footing and occasional underrotation. Zhang still needs so much work on her basics, it is very sad.

Courtney Hicks hasn't hit puberty yet so I'm not so sure she'll be a force. She's good for now but still has a long way to go, and even now she's getting her 3-3 downgraded, and that's with an tiny little girls body, what happens when she grows? I prefer Siraj, Lam, and Kulgeyko to Hicks, but again puberty is still an obstacle.

Gao had a bit of a rough season but I think most of it was due to peaking too early and all the body changes she went through. Next season I think she will do really well, and maybe start beating Agnes. She has the right look to be a World medalist/champ and the jumps to back it up, and she seems really focused, not like Nagasu who seems a little immature and at times irresponsible.

I agree Caroline is done, after one season of having to do regionals and sectionals, she's going to get frustrated and call it quits, I think. Flatt, Wagner, and Czisny are also all on their way out. Alissa's done well for herself this season, but considering how the weak the skating at the ladies event at this year's worlds was, and that Alissa finished only 5th, is sort of writing on the wall. With 2 solid skates she couldn't beat a lackluster Ando and Kim, or a Witt-content Carolina and a nearly clean Leonova. I still think she's one of the top skaters going into next season, but I don't see her winning a medal in Sochi, or in any WCs leading up to it under normal circumstances, and she's not getting any younger.

Last edited: