Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    Wishing Caroline a Very Happy Birthday. Is she 18 or 19 today?
    Listening to some people on this board, she's 67.

............ but actually, she is 18 today.

Tripping on the Podium frauregina's Avatar
    Yes! Happy 18th to Caroline!

Shoe Diva
    Its interesting to see Alissa's name tossed around when discussing skaters who are done. How many times did we write Alissa off while holding up Kimmie and Emily up as examples of all that was right with US skating? Both are done while Alissa is US and GPF champ. Yes, she landed 5th at Worlds, but she's still the fifthe best skater in the world and that's nothing to sneeze at...

Color me optimistic, but I am hopeful for Zhang. She might still make some noise. Ashley is the only person holding her back. If she ever focuses, she will be fine.

I dig Gao and Agnes. But after years of watching the new young things not being successful, I choose not to pay attention to the new crop until they've been in the seniors for two years and have good showings internationally.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Its interesting to see Alissa's name tossed around when discussing skaters who are done. How many times did we write Alissa off while holding up Kimmie and Emily up as examples of all that was right with US skating? Both are done while Alissa is US and GPF champ. Yes, she landed 5th at Worlds, but she's still the fifthe best skater in the world and that's nothing to sneeze at...

Color me optimistic, but I am hopeful for Zhang. She might still make some noise. Ashley is the only person holding her back. If she ever focuses, she will be fine.

I dig Gao and Agnes. But after years of watching the new young things not being successful, I choose not to pay attention to the new crop until they've been in the seniors for two years and have good showings internationally.
    Well.... that is sort of why I have a hard time being optimistic about Ashley and Caroline at this point.

But it's like I said, if they prove the naysayers wrong I will be thrilled for them and it will be a wonderful story to follow. There's nothing better than a comeback story in figure skating or a story about a skater who struggles for years before finally living up to their potential like Alissa at the GPF and nationals and of course Paul Wylie. So if Ashley and Caroline do get their moments it will be great to see. But for now I'm watching other skaters more.

Shoe Diva
    Me too... Its more about watching these skaters who have oodles of talent but for some reason a mental block when it comes to competition. Or the phenoms who are pronounced world beaters only to falter on the senior stage... Take Be Be for instance. I remember when she was pronounced the second coming and then just NOTHING! But a wonderful skater. For their sake, I hope Zhang and Ashley figure out the formula for success. I also hope that Gao and Agnes make huge splash. Time will tell and since its the off season, I can brim with nationalistic pride and be positive. Sorta like my husband when he talks about the Detroit Lions. September will come soon enough and we will see...

Custom Title
    Yeah, I once saw Bebe on Ice Diaries, along with Cziny and Danielle Kahle. It seemed like Bebe always had trouble with her flip.

Banned
    Me too... Its more about watching these skaters who have oodles of talent but for some reason a mental block when it comes to competition. Or the phenoms who are pronounced world beaters only to falter on the senior stage... Take Be Be for instance. I remember when she was pronounced the second coming and then just NOTHING! But a wonderful skater. For their sake, I hope Zhang and Ashley figure out the formula for success. I also hope that Gao and Agnes make huge splash. Time will tell and since its the off season, I can brim with nationalistic pride and be positive. Sorta like my husband when he talks about the Detroit Lions. September will come soon enough and we will see...
    Bebe was never any good. Even skating cleanly she was a mediocre skater capable of only mediocre scores and results.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frauregina View Post
    Yes! Happy 18th to Caroline!
    Wow Caroline's all grown up. Not a baby ballerina anymore! I wish her a happy birthday and the best next season. Does anyone know if she is considering college?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    To pangtongfan: please. Bebe was very talented and she was popular for a reason: she stood out from the crowd and skated with speed and pizzazz. As a Grand Prix competitor she was in the elite ranks for a long time so obviously she was very good even if not a podium contender for the most part. No need to write her off so dismissively. Doing so doesn't make your resume any longer.

Custom Title
    The adjective "mediocre" is defined differently among fans.

Bebe Liang got to compete at one Worlds in 2008 (yes, due to Nagasu and Flatt being too young but it still counts and she placed a respectable 10th) and she did win a few international medals in her career:
    2006 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 1st
    2006 - Four Continents Championships - 3rd
    2005 - Nebelhorn Trophy - 3rd
    2002 - Junior Grand Prix (China) - 2nd
    2002 - Junior Grand Prix (United States) - 2nd
    2000 - Triglav Trophy, Novice - 1st

BTW, she's on Twitter now: http://twitter.com/bebeliang

ETA: I noticed that no one wished Ashley Wagner a Happy 20th birthday (May 16) in this thread -- hope she had a good one!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-21-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Down With It
    How many times did we write Alissa off while holding up Kimmie and Emily up as examples of all that was right with US skating? Both are done while Alissa is US and GPF champ.
    I think it says more about Alyssa's longevity than anything. Czisny was always hyped since 2004 as "she could be one of the best in the world if she just hit her jumps" but that was all talk and the potential was never realized for years. Then she kinda popped out of nowhere and has been hot/cold ever since. She's America's version of Carolina Kostner in that sense.

Czisny is a "late bloomer" and that's very unusual for an American skater, at least these days. It's typical for the American lady to be a flash in the pan, make a big splash and then disappear/vacate soon after (think Lipinski, Meissner), or to show potential but never realize it (think Nam, Nikodinov). It remains to be seen where CZhang fits into all this- as it stands, she's another one that got away- but on the upside, she is still rather young...young enough, anyway, to be in the mix for 2018 if she ever pulled a Czisny. As it stands now, though, she is out of it.

...I am hopeful for Zhang. She might still make some noise. Ashley is the only person holding her back. If she ever focuses, she will be fine.
    I assume you're referring to Wagner holding herself back rather than holding Zhang back.
    Last edited by R.D.; 05-21-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: cleanup

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I think it says more about Alyssa's longevity than anything. Czisny was always hyped since 2004 as "she could be one of the best in the world if she just hit her jumps" but that was all talk and the potential was never realized for years.
    Since 2004? The year that Kwan and Cohen both medaled at Worlds, someone was out there hyping up Czisny? I am not saying that it's not true, but it is astounding to me because I haven't heard of her at that time. But maybe some people within the skating community and/or forum participants did.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Since 2004? The year that Kwan and Cohen both medaled at Worlds, someone was out there hyping up Czisny? I am not saying that it's not true, but it is astounding to me because I haven't heard of her at that time. But maybe some people within the skating community and/or forum participants did.
    It was the 2004-05 season, where I believe Czisny was at '04 SA or another GP as a filler for someone else who dropped out.

Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Here is Alissa at 2004 Skate America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Co8ilXlvo

There was a buzz about her but it was all about the future. Alissa was no threat to Sasha or Michelle in '04.

And just for fun a look back at Miki from 2004 Skate America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdBr4_upBJ8

Happy Belated Birthday Ashley!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast