Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

Tanja90

On the Ice
Kostner cant even do a triple lutz and usually not even a triple flip anymore, so that is already bad enough even if she starts doing a triple toe-triple toe or something. Ando hasnt been able to land rotated 3-3s in years now, I doubt she is suddenly going to rediscover them in her mid 20s. That said I hope if she has any real future success she does rediscover something like her formerly excellent triple lutz-triple loop. Those are the kind of jumps a skater like Ando SHOULD have to be doing in order to fight for major medals, let alone titles.

Excuse me. Have you seen carolina's long at worlds this year? Was that a flip at the beggining of it or I dreamed about it? And it was a gorgeous one if I'm not wrong. So before saying wrong things give the facts. She was injured this season so she didn't do the lutz and didn't try the flip untill europeans BUT she did the lutz in practise. She is not consistent at it but it's not a new thing and this is not a reason for her to keep it out of the program. If she hadn't have the injury she would have added it from the beggining of the season. She is practicing every jump and every combo including: 2a3toe 3toe3toe 3sal3toe 3flip3toe so stop saying nonsense like she is not capable of doing jumps.

And I cannot see any problem if she, Ando and Csisny will be a medal contender in Sochi. Didn't Shizuka Arakawa won when she was 26 and everyone call her out of the game? With no 3-3? None is out of the game untill the last second of the last program of the final IMO. Each competition is different in particular way the Olympic Games.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I thought Carolina had a very good season as she just missed winning the GPF and won the bronze at Worlds. Did she also medal at Euros?

I thought her programs were elegant and that she skated them beautifully.

And this was all done with a bad knee that limited her tech. Hope she is back at full strength next season.

I am not ready to say goodbye to skaters like Caro and Alissa yet. I like the classy and more mature style they bring to the ice.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Excuse me. Have you seen carolina's long at worlds this year? Was that a flip at the beggining of it or I dreamed about it? And it was a gorgeous one if I'm not wrong. So before saying wrong things give the facts.

LOL learn to read simple sentences please. I said usually not a triple flip anymore. That was her only clean one of the year unless she did one at Italian Nationals or something so obviously she can hardly ever do the jump anymore, just like I said.

And I cannot see any problem if she, Ando and Csisny will be a medal contender in Sochi. Didn't Shizuka Arakawa won when she was 26 and everyone call her out of the game? With no 3-3?

She was 24, not 26, and she was an unusually late bloomer. Ando and Kostner are not late bloomers, they were winning medals as teenagers, and better skaters 3-4 years ago than they are today. And Czisny is a journeywomen made into a top skater for this season by the worst ladies field in decades.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Could Ashley Wagner be better if she tried Pairs?

I've thought of this, but we barely have boys for our pairs girls. Let alone girls who switch disciplines =(

At times like these, I really wish synchros was bigger on the world stage.

Tanja90

On the Ice
LOL learn to read simple sentences please. I said usually not a triple flip anymore. That was her only clean one of the year unless she did one at Italian Nationals or something so obviously she can hardly ever do the jump anymore, just like I said.

She did another 3 flip in a competition before worlds. It's only my opinion but I think that she failed her flip at euros and worlds short because the were her first try either in the long and the short so she focused so hard on them and she failed but it doesn't mean she cannot do it...From VERY good sources she was very consistent on her flip in practice...not a mistake in the sessions they witnessed.

She was 24, not 26, and she was an unusually late bloomer. Ando and Kostner are not late bloomers, they were winning medals as teenagers, and better skaters 3-4 years ago than they are today. And Czisny is a journeywomen made into a top skater for this season by the worst ladies field in decades.

Your opinion. I find carolina and miki way better today than in the past. Maybe no 3-3 (for now) but I prefer a little less technical content than big jumps and mechanical movement. Than if there's someone who can cope both things, perfect! they have the potential IMO...if carolina recover from the injury and brings back the technical content of 2008 she will be right there on the top. OF COURSE consistence is a big factor but she have the means as ando does...I don't know why of all your harsh against skater in her mid 20s

npavel

On the Ice
I guess we will see. I honestly think Ando and Kostner hit their peaks many years ago, and are only having glittering seasons due to the abysmal ladies event this year. If Ando starts landing 6-7 triples a program and difficult triple-triples again, and Kostner starts doing all triples and 6 or 7 triples again, I might reconsider. Even a career journeywomen like Czisny is having a banner season including winning the prestigious GP final, not that she doesnt deserve some of the credit, but lets be real here. If things are anything like they are now in 2-3 years womens skating is in majorly bad shape as Jammers said.

as Tanja pointed out, Carolina can do more 3-3 combinations than the most skaters around, including Mao, and she is the only one having all the triples axel not counted. The fact that Carolina wasn't doing well last Olympic year, don't mean she is done. This year she was on the podium at every competition she entered. She has reached a new dimension in skating and her technical capacities is very height. Her Flip is surely the best of all ladies and the only jump she didn't practice were 3Lzcombinations, all the other jumps she practiced in 3-3 combination and quite successfully. In competition she didn't the 3Lz this year because of her knee not allowing her to do this jump without pain and she couldn't risk to have to interrupt the competition doing this jump. Now she will take care of her knee that bothered her all the season. When Carolina was 16 she packed her programs with more jumps, like the promising youngster does, but her artistry is so much improved, her skate is so great. I would be very happy if she will still be around till next Olimpics.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why do people keep pointing out results of this season (eg- Kostner was on the podium in every competition this season). As myself and others have already pointed out the quality of womens skating was the worst in many years this season. One would hope you dont miss any podiums in a year the very poor womens wannabee clone of a 14 year old Slutskaya- Leonova, nearly wins a World medal, Czisny wins the GP final, and a skate with 5 triples and average spins and artistry win the World title. So I am not looking at any results but at the actual level of skating. If womens skating actually improves somewhat from the Bosnia in a dress it was this year, then Kostner will need to alot more jump wise than she did this year to have a chance.

I do agree her programs this year were beautiful. Too bad she wasnt doing a triple lutz and all the triples, she would have made a far more worthy champion than Ando or a sleepwalking/unrecognizable Kim if she had been.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Doesnt Wagner have German citizenship. Should she try skating for them. She isnt ever making another World team for the U.S again.

blue dog

Record Breaker
You know, if we told everyone they were over the hill before they wanted to retire on their own, we'd have to abolish the age requirements for senior and junior. Let Caroline, Ashley, Alissa, Carolina, Miki, Yu Na, etc skate until they say they want to quit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
...or NOT say they want to quit, and instead just fade into oblivion...*cough*too many skaters to name *cough*

blue dog

Record Breaker
...or NOT say they want to quit, and instead just fade into oblivion...*cough*too many skaters to name *cough*

That's true, but you never really know. A woman missing most of her toes came back ten years after her initial retirement to win the pewter medal at US Nationals.

Elaine Zayak. Great example, Blue Dog! And watching her skate that night was a great moment and should remind us that we specialize in watching, not skating or coaching. Skating is grueling and expensive--any skater has to be pretty highly motivated to continue. What do they need a board of fan advisors like us for? They'll stop when they're ready, and I hope they'll surprise us several times before they're done.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Elaine Zayak. Great example, Blue Dog! And watching her skate that night was a great moment and should remind us that we specialize in watching, not skating or coaching. Skating is grueling and expensive--any skater has to be pretty highly motivated to continue. What do they need a board of fan advisors like us for? They'll stop when they're ready, and I hope they'll surprise us several times before they're done.

Also, Olympia, the best thing about her comeback was that she seemed to finally enjoy her own skating. She had an "I don't care where I place" attitude, which helped carry her to the podium.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ashley is just not small enough for pairs and that fact that she skates clockwise makes finding a partner even harder.
Ashley's tiny in person, and she's only 5'3", maybe not even, and she got thinner this past season. She is actually a good size for a pairs skater.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Thought I would give an update on Caroline. She competed at the All Year FSC Championships a few weeks ago. She earned a 48.97 in the SP which was good enough for 1st place, but faltered in the free with 3 deductions and a terrible 67.99 score.

Does anyone know if she is still training in Riverside or who did her programs?

Thanks for the report, Mavy. I'm sorry to hear about the long program score, but the fact that she was in first for the short shows that she still has technical potential. So I won't give up on her yet.

babayaga

On the Ice
Thought I would give an update on Caroline. She competed at the All Year FSC Championships a few weeks ago. She earned a 48.97 in the SP which was good enough for 1st place, but faltered in the free with 3 deductions and a terrible 67.99 score.

Does anyone know if she is still training in Riverside or who did her programs?

I think read somewhere that her short program was choreographed by David Wilson (don't remember any more details sorry).