Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner and Caroline Zhang ?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    You know, if we told everyone they were over the hill before they wanted to retire on their own, we'd have to abolish the age requirements for senior and junior. Let Caroline, Ashley, Alissa, Carolina, Miki, Yu Na, etc skate until they say they want to quit.

Down With It
    ...or NOT say they want to quit, and instead just fade into oblivion...*cough*too many skaters to name *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    ...or NOT say they want to quit, and instead just fade into oblivion...*cough*too many skaters to name *cough*
    That's true, but you never really know. A woman missing most of her toes came back ten years after her initial retirement to win the pewter medal at US Nationals.

Custom Title
    Elaine Zayak. Great example, Blue Dog! And watching her skate that night was a great moment and should remind us that we specialize in watching, not skating or coaching. Skating is grueling and expensive--any skater has to be pretty highly motivated to continue. What do they need a board of fan advisors like us for? They'll stop when they're ready, and I hope they'll surprise us several times before they're done.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post

2007- Miki from this year would easily beat Miki of this year,
    Perhaps, but could Miki from that year beat Miki of that year?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Elaine Zayak. Great example, Blue Dog! And watching her skate that night was a great moment and should remind us that we specialize in watching, not skating or coaching. Skating is grueling and expensive--any skater has to be pretty highly motivated to continue. What do they need a board of fan advisors like us for? They'll stop when they're ready, and I hope they'll surprise us several times before they're done.
    Also, Olympia, the best thing about her comeback was that she seemed to finally enjoy her own skating. She had an "I don't care where I place" attitude, which helped carry her to the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Ashley is just not small enough for pairs and that fact that she skates clockwise makes finding a partner even harder.
    Ashley's tiny in person, and she's only 5'3", maybe not even, and she got thinner this past season. She is actually a good size for a pairs skater.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Thought I would give an update on Caroline. She competed at the All Year FSC Championships a few weeks ago. She earned a 48.97 in the SP which was good enough for 1st place, but faltered in the free with 3 deductions and a terrible 67.99 score.

Does anyone know if she is still training in Riverside or who did her programs?

Custom Title
    Thanks for the report, Mavy. I'm sorry to hear about the long program score, but the fact that she was in first for the short shows that she still has technical potential. So I won't give up on her yet.

Custom Title
    Thought I would give an update on Caroline. She competed at the All Year FSC Championships a few weeks ago. She earned a 48.97 in the SP which was good enough for 1st place, but faltered in the free with 3 deductions and a terrible 67.99 score.

Does anyone know if she is still training in Riverside or who did her programs?
    I think read somewhere that her short program was choreographed by David Wilson (don't remember any more details sorry).

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babayaga View Post
    I think read somewhere that her short program was choreographed by David Wilson (don't remember any more details sorry).
    I like the sound of that! I hope she can sort out her freeskate problems by Nationals, at least somewhat.

Custom Title
    From Sylvia at FSU

"Caroline Zhang's SP music is "The Rushing Wings of Dawn" by Tim Janis, choreographed by David Wilson (Alissa Czisny skated her SP to this music way back in 2001-02 and 2002-03) -- link to the song so you can hear what the piece it sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iSyQcnbDaY

Leah Keiser's SP was choreographed by Lori Nichol to Saint-Saens' "Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso."

Vanessa Lam's SP was last year's "Time to Say Goodbye" (instrumental version).

Leah Keiser's FS music is from the Dr. Zhivago film soundtrack (including "Lara's Theme"), Vanessa Lam's FS is "familiar classical music," and that Caroline Zhang may have kept her Dvorak cello concerto FS from this past season."

Custom Title
    Those sound like interesting programs, especially Zhang's. Dvorak is one of my favorite composers, and the cello concerto is a top favorite piece of mine. I hope I get the chance to see them, and that Zhang does them well sometime in the season--in fact, many times during the season. Fingers are crossed!

Custom Title
    Thanks to burntBREAD for reposting my info.

Does anyone know if she is still training in Riverside
    Caroline Zhang trained at Riverside when she was with Tammy Gambill. Zhang's current coaches are Peter Oppegard and Karen Kwan-Oppegard, who are based in in Artesia.

I posted the link to the official USFS press release about Ashley Wagner's coaching change (dated 6/14) in a separate thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-to-John-Nicks
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-19-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

I posted the link to the official USFS press release about Ashley Wagner's coaching change (dated 6/14) in a separate thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-to-John-Nicks
    My favorite US lady skater goes to one of my favorite coaches

Please both, may we see many happy faces in K&C

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast