Mirai Nagasu | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu

SkateSkates

Medalist
I believe the software does things like calculate what will happen if you move X by Y degrees and so on, so that you know what to change to make the jump successful.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

:rofl:

At least he still got full sets of hair!

Come on Mirai!! Think of your coach's beautiful hair!! Do it for the hair!!

(always thinking of ways to motivate Mirai Alien Nagasu, http://youtu.be/ILvkV7WqxXU , pity Panasonic is experiencing cost cutting, 70 factories, 17000 jobs cuts around the world, hope she can find another sponsor soon.)

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't think Nagasu needs the 3A. Until she can stay calm and confident, IMHO she's wasting her time...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Now that Mirai is vindicated of turning Frank's hair gray, she still has to be watched over and held responsible if his hair starts falling out. :unsure:

Until she can stay calm and confident, IMHO she's wasting her time...

I don't think so, not at all. Obviously a performer/athlete would prefer to be able to deliver her absolute best every time. not to mention find inner peace and tranquility of soul.

But even if she slips up sometimes, other times she will be brilliant.

(BTW, did you pick up the last picture that I posted for your collection? I think it is a wonderful study.)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Nagasu does need the triple axel to overtake the more established champions like Kim, Ando, and others. Granted Ando might take the year off (or retire) and Kim might retire, and Asada might continue to suck, etc....Still in general principle she wont be placed above those more established champions at first without doing something extra special. She had her chance to do it more on even terms in 2010 and blew it, and has slumped again since. With the hot juniors coming up she might need to do something extra to have a hope of winning a major title in the short term. Then if she does have a major title to her name she might not need something like that anymore, but initially I think she does.

R.D.

Record Breaker
One has to decide if it's worth the increased risk of injury to go for it though. I dunno- in the case of Nagasu I'd say she's good enough to be a medal contender without one. It's her mentality much more than the lack of a 3A that's her biggest obstacle to the top. (For someone like Flatt, it's a different story.)

What Nagasu needs to do is to get back on that World team. With just 2 spots once again, she has to be at or near her best to make it. Fortunately for her, Flatt is going to college, Czisny is beatable and Wagner is slipping. Look at what's happening to Mao Asada. She did not one- but TWO 3As at the Olympics and still lost to Kim. Nagasu does not need it.

MM: Yes, I had a look at that photo. It turns out I already have a copy, but thanks.

ETA: Usually, I'm all for risk-taking (you old-timers surely know this), but oddly enough this is a special case where I feel it's ultimately not worth it. But it's not my choice to make.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
If she and Frank feel she can still push herself technically, she certainly should. No reason to stagnate and as people pointed out there is no rule saying she has to put a 3a or a 3-3 in a competition if it's not going perfectly. But pushing yourself might be a way to keep motivated and make sure you are not sinking into a comfort zone.

Personally, I'd rather see her remaster a 3-3 but maybe they believe a 3a is more within her reach.

I hope they are also working on that pesky edge call she kept getting on her flip all season too.

She is a medal contender internationally with her current technical content but having a 3-3 or a 3a could potentially make her a gold medal contender (without having to hope that others mess up.)

It's exciting to hear about Mirai pushing herself. I hope she keeps it up and that she stays happy and injury-free.

Nice that she ended her season on a positive note. Once again, she proved that she is very competitive at the top of the field, and one would hope that would be encouraging and motivating for her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
There are also competitors who may have an element like a 3A in practice but choose not to compete with it because they are always "70-80%" (in other words, less than their absolute best) of what they put out in practice in competition. Maybe Frank has realized Mirai is one of those and by pushing up her technical content in practice, she will be able to put a little bit more into her competitive programs which will put her over the top while still not hitting her 100%.

This is, of course, just a theory...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WOW Mirai looks beautiful and so grown up. They are a cute couple, thanks for sharing.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Aren't they adorable? Mirai looks like a gorgeous young woman. that smile is priceless.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Very nice picture of Mirai. She's looks great and it must be nice to celebrate a normal milestone like the prom.
Nice of her to share the picture with fans.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Very cute couple :) Hope Mirai had a nice time to the Proms, and lovely to see her date beaming ear to ear well chuffed hehe....

Oh it was just like yesterday when she did her impressive Pirates of Caribbean at age 16 at Vancouver, and now she is all sophisticated and grown up. Look forward to see what she came up with next season.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
very nice. so glad she's trying to have a normal teen life. guess that's the silver lining of not making the World team.

jeff goldblum

On the Ice
If any of the current ladies is capable of a triple axel it is Mirai. She has one of the biggest and strongest double axels in the entire field. Triple-triple combinations are well within her grasp too. The thing is that all the ladies work on and attempt (sometimes even land) these jumps in practice, but putting them into the competitive routine is another question. I hope that Mirai won't be like Michelle Kwan, prompting the commentators to lament about the fact that they've seen beautiful triple-triples in practices and warm-ups but never in the competition itself. But Mirai is really a technically brilliant skater so these things shouldn't be a problem.

What she needs to do is work on her PCS. Even if she gets her free program technical scores into the 70s, which seems possible, she's still not going to beat the top competitors if her PCS are lagging down around 60 points. I'd really like to see her be more expressive and have more fine-tuned choreography. At this point I think this aspect of her skating is pleasant and quite lovely, but not awesome.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I don't know if anybody posted this, but it's a quick clip of Mirai during the warm-up before the SP in Vancouver. She does a 3lz-3t that looked really good...good speed and distance, and the rotation looked complete as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9-Dx67J6nA

I really hope she stays healthy this summer and is able to add this to her arsenal consistently next season...