Daisuke Takahashi Talks About The Worlds And The Future | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi Talks About The Worlds And The Future

mot

On the Ice
There have been some discussions on what has happened during the free at the Worlds and what had gone through Daisuke’s mind during the season in another thread, so I thought it was worthwhile reading his own account.

Here is a translation (by me) of his latest column in Nihon Keizai Shinbun Newspaper. Well, he is as honest and candid as ever…

http://www.nikkei.com/sports/column...DE0EAE1E1E1E5EBE2E3E3E2E7E0E2E3E3E2E2E2E2E2E2

-----

‘The accident at free skate and they say it was a bad luck, nonetheless…'

Could I have won the silver if there had not been that accident? Well, the silver would not have been good enough for someone who had won the gold last year.

I think throughout the season, Patrick was expected to win the world title. I watched his performance at the Canadian Nationals and official practice in Moscow, and I felt that was going to happen. I could not change the momentum. I could not even make people believe that I was the one to challenge Patrick; I lost to him at that stage.

Utako-sensei (his coach Utako Nagamitsu) checks my boots everyday, before each skate, for me. While we were waiting for the score to come up, she apologised to me many times, but it was not her fault.

No matter how carefully one checks the skates, a screw sometimes gets loose and comes out. It happened during the competition, that was all.

Some say I was unlucky, but a skater has to deal with the situation, whatever that may be. I have no excuse for the poor result.

I change my boots every 2 months or so. The World Championships was postponed for a month, so I tried to change to the spare ones in mid March. The right one fitted OK-ish, but the left was impossible. So I changed the right one only.

I ordered a new pair but they arrived only 2 days before we left for Moscow. I was doing OK in practice and had no problem with the boots, so I decided to keep the old ones rather than the new pair just arrived.

I was very focused on the day of free skate and the condition was good too, so I felt I could land the quad. I guess the left boot could not stand the force when I put the toe pick down. The sole of the boot also got damaged and I regret that I also could not land the salcow, which we take off on the left leg, because of that.

As soon as I finished the performance, my mind went a bit blank and ended up saying that I would continue until Sochi. But then I thought I’d better think it through; so I asked for the press conference to be held in two days, not on the next day as usual.

The accident happened, but I am not depressed by that. It’s no use crying over spilled milk. Time flies (while you are mourning about what has happened). I believe I can learn something from this kind of incident; and I always have. I am convinced this will lead to something better.

I used to hate to see myself degrading and wanted to quit before I start going down hill. I won the bronze at Vancouver; and if everything had gone smoothly, without the injury, I would have retired after that. But I started to seeing things differently since.

I thought – I wanted to believe in my potential, I wanted to have a go.

I was told that once the screw on my right knee was removed, I could move more freely. I watched Daisuke Ohata, a former member of Japanese rugby team, continue playing rugby despite many injuries he has had to suffer, and I thought that to live my life like his must be so fulfilling.

To set a goal at Sochi should make it easier to give it all. Four years ago, all I could think of was to move up and up, but I feel differently now.

I will be 27 when Sochi Olympics comes. I know it would be hard (to be there), to be honest. It may be normal to continue until that age in other sports, but there have been fewer skaters, who carry on competing till that age, since the IJS was introduced. Of course, the competitive career of figure skaters may be prolonged again in the future. I just want to try as long as there is a possibility.

I am feeling like a challenger again. I hated myself feeling ‘defensive’ this season. I knew it had never worked for me before… Perhaps I was feeling secure because of the result of the last season. Sometimes I thought I should have quit… I was sensing myself being feeling increasing so.

When I have a clear goal, I can put up with hard work; but this year, I was struggling to keep my motivation high. It was a hard season for me.

Having said that all, I was getting into high gear from mid-March. I took a week off when it was announced that the Tokyo Worlds was cancelled and it would be held in Moscow instead in end of April, although I kept practising for the charity show (held in April 9).

‘No way - I could not keep going as I have been until then’ – it was good to take a chance and have some rest. It is more detrimental to carry on practising, without being focused, just for the sake of it. I was in a good form when arrived in Moscow. However, on the day of the short programme, I was slightly less focused and I knew I would.

The Mambo programme is great to perform in the show lighting and get the audience going. In competitions, without the show lighting, it demands extra power to appeal to the audience.

I was feeling less focused that day, not being able to project towards the audience enough to draw their reactions. I failed to connect with them and that made it really hard. I think that was reflected in the low score.

The Tango free programme is a more conventional competition programme, so the more I had skated, the better it had become. To ‘revenge’, skating the same programme next season? No. I want to feel fresh each year. I know the longer you keep the programme, the more you get used to it, but then I’d get bored with it. I always want to be in love with my programmes.

I want to include the quad in the short next season. There are many skaters this season, who tried the quad in the short. Michal Brezina, my favourite, landed two different kinds of the quad in the free.

In Japan, we perhaps did not expect the standard of men’s figure skating would change so drastically. Oda-kun was keeping up with the change, but I could not even if I wanted to, as my consistency in landing the quad had not been as good as before the injury. I like to challenge, but there is no point in challenging when there is no chance of success at all.

I would like to learn basic skating again. I have been taught (occasionally) by my ex-dancer choreographers, Shae-Lynn and Pasuquale, but I would like to spend more time doing the basics in everyday practice.

Spins are my nemesis. It is getting better, but I have not many variations. The hardest of all is programme; it’s been 10 years since I joined the senior circuit, and it is hard to skate the different kinds of programmes and make sure people are not bored by my performances every year.

Takahiko won the silver and I am delighted that it will keep people interested in men’s figure skating in Japan, although, as a competitor, I regret it wasn’t me. The power we receive from the supporting fans while in the rink is huge.

There are many young and upcoming skaters. I wonder if it is the first time in the history of men’s figure skating in Japan, that we have 3 spots at the next World Championships and no one knows who would go.

The situation like this is exciting and motivates me too. I am not sure if I could go to Sochi, but as long as I try, I will aim for the gold.

I may struggle and I may appear uncool. Gosh, we have to keep putting up with this difficult person… many people, including Utako-sensei and the Team Daisuke, must be feeling.

I’d still like to ask for you continuous support, please.

-----

Daisuke had a surgery today to remove the screw from his right knee. He'll stay in the hospital for a week. According to his management, it is not going to affect his plans for the next season. They will monitor his recovery and will draw up plan for a rehabilitation and start practising again.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20110519-778219.html

-----

Perhaps I should post another thread for this piece of news, but Nobunari Oda is now nursing the injury on his left knee. The doctor prescribed a complete rest of 6 weeks for him. It is reported that it should not affect his plan for the next season.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/p-sp-tp0-20110515-776015.html

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Thanks, Mot, for the great translation!

What an interesting interview~I admire Daisuke for being so open and honest. Can't wait to see him again next season!!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you Mot. Dai is so honest and sincere, I can't but help but admire and respect him. In my book
he is a the best! Wishing Dai a speedy and full recovery from his surgery.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
The Japanese skaters have alwasy seemed mysterious to me. Not very open. Daisuke in this article, has change my opinion - at least of him.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Japanese skaters may have been more mysterious because of language barrier and scarcity of information. Thank you mot for both your effort and your language proficiencies to bring us closer to know these highly successful and admirable skaters from Japan. I particularly appreciate what they have to say themselves other than reports and rumours.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wish him well in his surgery. Would definitely be great to see him stick around and compete. I wouldn't mind at all if he just dropped the Quad completely (although that's clearly not what he wants to do).

gmyers

Record Breaker
So did this mean Oda and Takahashi were in the hospital at the same time? Hope everything worked out for him and he will continue to skate. Now quads with a screw in his leg didn't really work out but I believe the screw wasn't really relevent to the skating but I'm just wondering about next season with doing a quad.

mot

On the Ice
So did this mean Oda and Takahashi were in the hospital at the same time? Hope everything worked out for him and he will continue to skate. Now quads with a screw in his leg didn't really work out but I believe the screw wasn't really relevent to the skating but I'm just wondering about next season with doing a quad.

No, Oda's not hospitalised, but he was told not to skate or practice for 6 weeks. Actually, it is his wedding this weekend! He's been tweeting quite happily too, going to the gig and all, he seems to be enjoying his time off.

We'll see what removing the screw brings to Daisuke next season, especially to his jumps. His own analysis was that he has been struggling to find the timing for his jumps since the injury and the first surgery which changed his body, and subsequent improvement / recovery that brought further changes (increased flexibility, loss and regaining of muscle power, etc), as his jump technique rely more on timing than power and speed of the entry. This surgery and subsequent rehabilitation may add further complication - we won't know yet. But I heard having the screw in is a physical discomfort and causes a considerable pain when hit, so at least he'll be feeling freer and more comfortable.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for all of the news and updates mot.

Best wishes to Dai for a quick recovery and successful rehab.

It's nice he will be back next season as he is one of the most popular skaters in the world.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I love him, his interview was very touchin , thank you for the translation. I dont think anyone can ever be bored of Dai and his prorams as he says he is afraid of.

skfan

Final Flight
thank you so much for the translation. it struck me how open, how frank daisuke is when he says kozuka's winning silver keeps interest high in japan.

i got so mad reading the whole 'take responsibility for the screw falling out' discussion that i have stayed away from daisuke discussions a while, but your translations, mot, are not to be missed :) once again dai wins my admiration for coming across a lovable human being as well as an incredible skater.

jaylee

Medalist
Thank you mot for the translation.

Daisuke is a great skater and a great champion. Nothing will ever change that. I wish him the best.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I <3 Daisuke! :)

I find this funny:

"I may struggle and I may appear uncool. Gosh, we have to keep putting up with this difficult person… many people, including Utako-sensei and the Team Daisuke, must be feeling."

So self-deprecating, lol.. needlessly so..

Thank you mot. :clap: :clap: :clap: I am glad to know that there is a Japanese word for "OK-ish." :)

I appreciated Takahashi's directness on the isuue of momentum and "winning the practices."

I think throughout the season, Patrick was expected to win the world title. I watched his performance at the Canadian Nationals and official practice in Moscow, and I felt that was going to happen. I could not change the momentum. I could not even make people believe that I was the one to challenge Patrick; I lost to him at that stage.

fscric

On the Ice
Mot, thank you so much for translating the article for us, it's always great to understand from the skaters' perspective.

Mathman, can you explain what do you mean by "winning the practices" as I have no idea what it is?

I appreciated Takahashi's directness on the isuue of momentum and "winning the practices."

"Winning the practices" means this. The judges attend all the official practices and take notes. The skaters that do well in the official practices become entreched in the judges' minds before the actual competition begins. Sometimes the impression is so strong that the skater who has a good practice begins the competition with a few points in the bag already in the minds of the judges.

A good example was Shizuka Arakawa at the 2006 Olympics. Irina Slutskaya built up virtually unstoppable momentum leading up to the 2006 Olympics. But she started to falter at the end, perhaps due to exhaustion and chronic illness. She lost the Grand Prix Final to Mao Asada and was starting to slip out of the favorite's seat.

When the Olympic practices began, Arakawa was landing triple-triples right and left. Slutskaya and Cohen were struggling. Arakawa established her dominance in the judge's minds. When it came to the actual performace, in fact Arakawa omitted both of the planned triple-triples that she had practiced. But it didn't matter. She was the triple-triple queen and won the gold medal.

This is why skaters show up at official practices with all guns blazing. They know that the competition has already begun.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Another example is Katarina Witt, who was known for staring down rivals during practices, and cutting off their jump paths to screw with their heads. It was supposedly a huge factor in her win over Debi Thomas in the Battle of the Carmens.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
"Winning the practices" means this. The judges attend all the official practices and take notes. The skaters that do well in the official practices become entreched in the judges' minds before the actual competition begins. Sometimes the impression is so strong that the skater who has a good practice begins the competition with a few points in the bag already in the minds of the judges.

A good example was Shizuka Arakawa at the 2006 Olympics. Irina Slutskaya built up virtually unstoppable momentum leading up to the 2006 Olympics. But she started to falter at the end, perhaps due to exhaustion and chronic illness. She lost the Grand Prix Final to Mao Asada and was starting to slip out of the favorite's seat.

When the Olympic practices began, Arakawa was landing triple-triples right and left. Slutskaya and Cohen were struggling. Arakawa established her dominance in the judge's minds. When it came to the actual performace, in fact Arakawa omitted both of the planned triple-triples that she had practiced. But it didn't matter. She was the triple-triple queen and won the gold medal.

This is why skaters show up at official practices with all guns blazing. They know that the competition has already begun.

Is that why Joubert only did his jumps and nothing else in his Worlds official practice?

I think skaters show the judges what they are capable of but judges still have to judge by the competition skate. But skaters can use the practices to intimidate the rivals which was what Arakawa did. Other times, the competitors are simply put in awe and worries and conciously or unconsciously concede before the competition, or they end up not focusing and commiting errors.