Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in ice dance?

Custom Title
    Interesting previews. Not sure why some think there will be a "backlash" against the Canton teams. Although Politics is always a factor but less so with the tech requirements these days. Don't know why some think Morozov is not an ice dancing coach as that is his discipline. He never made it big, although he did get to OWG 1998 with Tatiana Navka skating for Belarus, placed 16th. The team was coached by Zhulin. Think Morozov's problem is he is stretched too thin, working with too many skaters.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    For those who like to peruse the protocols, there is a new feature on the ice dance protocols for the short dance:

Example:
    Nosulia & Kholoniuk won the SD at JGP Riga. There are two items in the protocol that you may not recognize.

Maria NOSULIA / Evgen KHOLONIUK UKR
    CC1Sq2+kpYNN
    CC2Sq3+kpNYY

The way these two items which describe the pattern dance part of the SD are read is:

ChaCha1st Segment Level 2. Key points 1 Yes 2 No 3 No
    Cha Cha 2nd Segment Level 3. Key points 1 No 2 Yes 3 Yes

For the juniors, the pattern dance is the ChaCha Congelada.

So we can expect a similar notation for the Rhumba in seniors

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Interesting previews. Not sure why some think there will be a "backlash" against the Canton teams. Although Politics is always a factor but less so with the tech requirements these days. Don't know why some think Morozov is not an ice dancing coach as that is his discipline. He never made it big, although he did get to OWG 1998 with Tatiana Navka skating for Belarus, placed 16th. The team was coached by Zhulin. Think Morozov's problem is he is stretched too thin, working with too many skaters.
    He's coached perhaps the worst ice dance team to medal in COP with Grushina/Goncharov and his success with singles far outstrips his success with dance teams. Also, I don't like his approach. That's all. As for backlash, well, Novitski actually accused Shpilband of cheating during a broadcast of Worlds 2011. Now, blame sour grapes if you want (recalling that Khoklova elected to continue her competitive career with Andreev under Z/S as opposed to a show career with him), but it's certainly something. And while we talk about the technical requirements, the lack of actual elements means that the BV are always going to be close, so minor politicking could have a major result anyway.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    He's coached perhaps the worst ice dance team to medal in COP with Grushina/Goncharov and his success with singles far outstrips his success with dance teams. Also, I don't like his approach. That's all. As for backlash, well, Novitski actually accused Shpilband of cheating during a broadcast of Worlds 2011. Now, blame sour grapes if you want (recalling that Khoklova elected to continue her competitive career with Andreev under Z/S as opposed to a show career with him), but it's certainly something. And while we talk about the technical requirements, the lack of actual elements means that the BV are always going to be close, so minor politicking could have a major result anyway.
    To me, that showed nothing but a lack of class, and that the real "backlash" against them is speculation rooted purely in jealousy made up by bitter coaches and former dancers who care about absolutely nothing more than winning. We can only wait and see how this plays out, but I am almost positive this is not going to affect Z/S or the teams that train under them mentally. These kind of statements are so embedded in petty hatred it's a bit ridiculous, and just makes the people hashing out this "backlash" seem laughable despite whatever skating "credentials" they might have.

I think that Weaver/Poje vs Pechalat/Bourzat will be an interesting dynamic this season, similar to that of Davis/White vs Virtue/Moir. They train together everyday so they'll push each other to improve. They're also the only dance teams competing three Grand Prix events so they'll technically have the most high level competition experience of the season going into Worlds. Because they represent different countries I don't think the rivalry will really become heated, but I see them fighting for the bronze at the Grand Prix Final and Worlds. I love both teams and I hope to see great things from them this year!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    I think that Weaver/Poje vs Pechalat/Bourzat will be an interesting dynamic this season, similar to that of Davis/White vs Virtue/Moir. They train together everyday so they'll push each other to improve. They're also the only dance teams competing three Grand Prix events so they'll technically have the most high level competition experience of the season going into Worlds. Because they represent different countries I don't think the rivalry will really become heated, but I see them fighting for the bronze at the Grand Prix Final and Worlds. I love both teams and I hope to see great things from them this year!
    You're forgetting the Shibutanis. Last season showed they cannot be ignored.

BTW, I'm not convinced skating 3 GP events is necessarily a good thing, especially for the French who will have had 5 major competitions (3 GPs, a GPF and Nationals) in two months' time. And two of W/P's events are in Japan and Russia.

Custom Title
    They can skip the Nationals (did it before, anyway). But it's worth mentioning that P/B did Nebelhorn (Germany), Finlandia (Finland), two GPs (China and France), the GPF (China), Nationals (duh), and Euros (Switzerland), so they clearly are able to do a heavy schedule.

I'm very curious about they dynamic between P/B and W/P. Was last year a fluke for the latter? And with all the "Battacuda" rhumbas, how do they stand out? They had a largely acclaimed SD but the FD wasn't as liked (certainly not by me, anyway). Do they suffer from their relatively shallow curve?

Custom Title
    The Shibutani's will medal at all their GP events and GPF and possibly win US nationals and worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    It's far. far. far. far. far (how many fars do I have?) easier to choreograph a singles program than a dance program, so it's hardly a surprise that Morosov could be more successful in singles. Re Novitski's charge on Shpilband - I think it's just sour grapes. I spoke to Khoklova in Detroit and it was clear to me that she was "smitten" with Andreev. He's a good looking guy.

DianaSelene was kind enough to post a link to videos of Russian test skates that just occurred.

This post has links to videos for R&T and B&S among others. I&K's SD is not there, and I don't know whether they participated.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...l=1#post579236
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 09-04-2011 at 02:25 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I&K's SD is not there, and I don't know whether they participated.
    They didn't, Elena caught a cold

Ah, that is too bad, and very disappointing to their fans as well.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The Shibutani's will medal at all their GP events and GPF and possibly win US nationals and worlds.
    too bad there are no Olympics this year, they could have won there too

Quote Originally Posted by yunafan1860 View Post
    too bad there are no Olympics this year, they could have won there too
    ...Right.

Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I'm pretty sure they won't WIN US Nats or Worlds. Although I did say they wouldn't medal at Worlds last year, and then they got bronze, but I really think I'm right this time. They're not beating D&W or V&M.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast