Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in ice dance?

Rinkside
    I don't understand. Why would they copy Scott and Tessa's music so blatantly? I mean, just one of them could have easily been a fluke, but the opening song and ending song are the same... Seems strange to me.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Morozov. The sound wasn't great, so I couldn't tell exactly how much was the same , but I hate the stupid tactic. I hated it last year when he gave Fernandez the same opening piece as Dai.

I don't think there's a chance it was a fluke in either case.

Rinkside
    It really is too bad, because I like both teams (S&T more so, they are my favourite). Oh well.

Custom Title
    Yeah, it's not a fluke. Leonova's program is to Pirates of the Carribean. Just like Fernandez. Morosov has admitted to basically slapping together Ando's competitive programs. Truthfully, I sorta loathe that I/K SD and won't bother with the FD until the GPs. I hope they gain power and confidence from Morosov and then dump him.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here's what may or may not be the final form of I&K's FD. I've heard several people say that their real music is Ave Maria and they skated to something from a Russian pop star of the 80's at the Russian test skate.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mihsersh#p/u/4/apr7p4qVcEg

They do some kind of twizzles in a circle like V&M did, but Ilia has trouble with them, and they don't maintain unison, which has to be really difficult in a circle.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar

I'm.. so far.. underwhelmed.

Rinkside
    But don't the skaters realize what is going on? Wouldn't they not want anything to do with that sort of strategy?
    They seem to copy in that FD as well... from their own SD! Hehe. They repeat at least one element there, the first lift was in the SD as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post

I'm.. so far.. underwhelmed.
    I decided to pull this thread up, as the discussion about the Canton teams dances are continuing, and I would like to see some debate in the context of comparioson with the top russian teams, we have seen a while ago. Plus we just got today P/B Fd as well, so this would be the right moment to reignate the chat of all we have seen so far this season.

The first striking comparison is between V/M and I/K SD. The only difference in the music is the second section, V/M using "Temptation" for the rhumba steps and I/K a samba "Mas Que Nada".

I just watched the 2 dances back to back. The russians will suffer big time, if they will be compared with V/M, because they seem to lack the swagger, speed, and their technique is poorer too. It strikes me how far apart I/K dance, very uncomfortable with each other many times. Even if the execution will get more polished, still will be falling way short. Of course, nobody should expect I/K in their second year in seniors to challenge the Olympic champions, but a smarter choice of music at least should have been beneficial, not to trigger immediate comparisons.
    Last edited by herios; 10-11-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    I decided to pull this thread up, as the discussion about the Canton teams dances are continuing, and I would like to see some debate in the context of comparioson with the top russian teams, we have seen a while ago. Plus we just got today P/B Fd as well, so this would be the right moment to reignate the chat of all we have seen so far this season.

The first striking comparison is between V/M and I/K SD. The only difference in the music is the second section, V/M using "Tempation" for the rhumba steps and I/K a samba "Mas Que Nada".

I just watched the 2 dances back to back. The russians will suffer big time, if they will be compared with V/M, because they seem to lack the swagger, speed, and their technique is poorer too. It strikes me how far apart I/K dance, very uncomfortable with each other many times. Even if the execution will get more polished, still will be falling way short. Of course, nobody should expect I/K in their second year in seniors to challenge the Olympic champions, but a smarter choice of music at least should have been beneficial, not to trigger immediate comparisons.
    They're not the only ones to use V/M's music, or a portion of it. Hubbell/Donohue use La Mujer Latina as the beginning of their SD. Although they are brand-new and aren't considered one of the top three teams in the US at the moment, I prefer their skating to I/K.

http://youtu.be/_tr-83ZjuzA

Custom Title
    A lot of the hype over I/K is kind of misplaced now. Flashes of talent and potential but nothing that could get them over 10th place in the Free dance at worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    They're not the only ones to use V/M's music, or a portion of it. Hubbell/Donohue use La Mujer Latina as the beginning of their SD. Although they are brand-new and aren't considered one of the top three teams in the US at the moment, I prefer their skating to I/K.

http://youtu.be/_tr-83ZjuzA
    Thanks a lot for the Hubbell / Donohue SD, it wasn't posted before I think.
    Now, this team has a few mistakes and unison problems, but as far as the "latin swagger" they project more than I/K, as well as the other US teams I have seen at Finlandia. And after scoring a victory over the 12th ranked team at Worlds (Z/S), they could be a very solid challenger for the US podium, comes Nationals.

Custom Title
    Among Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Samuelson/Gilles, ANNUSCIO/LORELLO, and KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT, the 3rd place at US nationals will be a real dog fight.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CARA View Post
    Among Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue, Samuelson/Gilles, ANNUSCIO/LORELLO, and KRIENGKRAIRUT/GIULIETTI-SCHMITT, the 3rd place at US nationals will be a real dog fight.
    Probably ice dance field in US never was this deep, and considering the top teams scored the country's best results ever in 2011, it is actually normal.
    Same goes for Canada, since Vrtue ad Moir are on the top, they pulled every team below up a notch.
    Canada never had two teams in the top 5 in the world before as far as I can recall.

Custom Title
    Now about Nathalie and Fabian's FD posted on their facebook. Camerlengo never stops surprising me. He came up with an idea which I think has never done before. Correct me if I am wrong. An egyptian theme, which seems to be very authentic by the moves he used. I checked, i have to say a few egyptian dances on youtube, and EVERY pose and body shape, from the begining of the dance to the end is linear and anguiar. Their hands angular, their body, including in the lifts are all linear.

I like it and I think the judges will give them good reviews. The only thing which bothers me, i wish they have not used "The feeling begins" , because it was used by G/P to win a world title with it.
    Last edited by herios; 10-11-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Probably ice dance field in US never was this deep, and considering the top teams scored the country's best results ever in 2011, it is actually normal.
    Same goes for Canada, since Vrtue ad Moir are on the top, they pulled every team below up a notch.
    Canada never had two teams in the top 5 in the world before as far as I can recall.
    They came close in 2007 when Dubreuil and Lauzon were 2nd and Virtue and Moir were 6th. Still the point is well made. The last time the US that kind of finish before 2009 was in the 80's was the 1984 Olympics when US teams went 4th and 5th. The fact that 2nd and 3rd place North American teams are nearly as competitive as their championship winning teams is a refreshing development I never thought I'd see. It's remarkable and quite pleasing.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast