What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in pairs? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What will the 2011/2012 season bring us in pairs?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm now very excited to see them!

A year spent practicing jumps and spins won't have been bad for Dan Zhang either !

Do I have this correctly? Those with 3 separate GPs, can automatically be granted the two highest scores to qualify for the Finals.

From reading the list, I've noticed only two Teams with 3GPs, Savchenko/Szokowy and Kavagut/Smirnov.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Has PJ ever disliked a Nichol program, though? Who choreographed their 07/08 SP? That's easily my favourite thing they've done.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do I have this correctly? Those with 3 separate GPs, can automatically be granted the two highest scores to qualify for the Finals.

From reading the list, I've noticed only two Teams with 3GPs, Savchenko/Szokowy and Kavagut/Smirnov.

Here's what the announcement says:

If the seeded skater(s)/couple(s) volunteers for a third event, this situation must be formalized and completed only at the time of the Grand Prix selection meeting. It is understood if the third event is selected that this decision is final. Seeded skaters/couples must fulfil the requirements of the minimum score. Only the best two placements, out of the 3 events, will count for the qualification to the Final.

So since the selection meeting has been held, only those teams/singles who are listed as having 3 events will have 3 events: no more will be added.

However, the "best two out of three" is unfair and pretty repugnant to me.

They should have had the skaters say which 2 are to count at the time of the selection meeting, which is what they used to do the last time they allowed some teams to skate 3 events.

DianaSelene

Medalist
I would love to see V/T dominate the GP, Europeans, and Worlds this year. Hopefully, they will have some innovative programs this year.
It would also be interesting to see how S/S cope with the pressure of V/T rising as skaters.
Hopefully, K/S will not disappoint this year. Last year, with injuries, they weren't as good as they could be. We shouldn't forget about the up and coming teams though. When the top four pairs leave, they are the future of pairs figure skating.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Chinese article, saying P/T are out of the GP season

Can a Chinese poster/language speaker confirm the veracity of this?

Assuming that it is true, it's likely that Sui/Han get the spot from CoC as a host pick, and I believe Lawrence/Sweigers are currently at the top of the substitution list for NHK (based on my understanding of the rules and guesswork, so if I'm wrong, mea culpa). Also, NHK - which had all three podium members from 2010 (P/T, S/S, K/S) just got a little less tough for the newer competitors.

mousepotato

On the Ice

Assuming that it is true, it's likely that Sui/Han get the spot from CoC as a host pick, and I believe Lawrence/Sweigers are currently at the top of the substitution list for NHK (based on my understanding of the rules and guesswork, so if I'm wrong, mea culpa). Also, NHK - which had all three podium members from 2010 (P/T, S/S, K/S) just got a little less tough for the newer competitors.

P/T only plan on competing at the Asian Winter Games and Worlds.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I've just spent the day on skatebuzz , flipping back and forth between Thornhill and Quebec.. I pairs, there were a handful of SP's that just blew me away ..original and engaging..Takahashi / Tran & Duhamel / Radford are both stunning programs. If they're both by Julie Marcotte , she's really outdone herself. Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres Had a very nice program to an instrumental Tango de Roxanne ( don't know if we have it listed yet )..not quite as original, but still pretty nice ,was Dube / Wolfe's blues guitar.

I couldn't see as much in pairs from Thornhill, yet..EXCEPT I caught MT /M 's jazzy, playful SP ,by Mark Pallay ( unless their Wiki hasn't been updated )..also just excellent for them. Looks like Pairs will be a lot of fun this year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I've just spent the day on skatebuzz , flipping back and forth between Thornhill and Quebec.. I pairs, there were a handful of SP's that just blew me away ..original and engaging..Takahashi / Tran & Duhamel / Radford are both stunning programs. If they're both by Julie Marcotte , she's really outdone herself. Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres Had a very nice program to an instrumental Tango de Roxanne ( don't know if we have it listed yet )..not quite as original, but still pretty nice ,was Dube / Wolfe's blues guitar.

I couldn't see as much in pairs from Thornhill, yet..EXCEPT I caught MT /M 's jazzy, playful SP ,by Mark Pallay ( unless their Wiki hasn't been updated )..also just excellent for them. Looks like Pairs will be a lot of fun this year.

I missed most of Quebec, but all three senior teams at Thornhill showed improvement from when we last saw them (though MT/M need another lift position) and Bobak/Beherry are looking VERY strong - their junior score actually would've placed second in seniors. She needs to work on her expression by a fair margin, but there's something really lovely about these two. I don't watch juniors as a rule, but I'll be watching them closely.

LuCN

Rinkside
Yes,they'll skip the GPs,only participate the nation games and the Worlds.
it's good for them.They're not young any more,and they have some old injuries.They should have a rest if they want to continue...
in other articals,PT said they're very tired last year for so many competitions after the Olympics.they don't have time to rest,or polish the programs.They want to have a rest,learn new things,make the new programs better,then come back to the competitions.I think it's a wise choice.

and Yue Zhang is injured,so Z/W won't compete this season.

smia

Rinkside
Yuko Kavaguti - Alexander Smirnov:
SP Rock-blues (unknown music)
LP Claire de Lune by C. Debussy, both programs choreographed by Petr Tchernyshev

Katarina Gerboldt - Alexander Enbert:
SP Money-money by ABBA
LP Les parapluies de Cherbourg by Michel Legrand, both by Natalia Bestemyanova and Igor Bobrin

I wonder what direction UofCherbourg will take. Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze skated to this music but only once. It was back when the GPF required two long programs, so B/S made a few changes to the choreography of another program. It was rather sad and depressing, which I liked, but I'm not sure if that would still be allowed nowadays with all the talk about the ISU wanting "uplifting" programs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq-D1w7GcIQ
I still haven't found anything on Iliushechkina/Maisuradze and Stolbova/Klimov's music choices. I'm hoping I/M can make the necessary improvements to challenge B/L for that third spot this season.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
I'm excited about G/E and their programs this year. I think this music fits them. They are very expressive.