Favorite layback leg position | Golden Skate

Favorite layback leg position

What's your favorite layback leg position?

• attitude [url]http://www.catslair.com/skating/2000/nationals/pics/mksp05.jpg[/url]

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • drop leg [url]http://home.att.net/~p.fleming/KwanLayback.jpg[/url]

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • straight leg [url]http://www.usfsa.org/uschamp02/harvpics/exhib/aer-kwanmich.jpg[/url]

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • other

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
So what's your favorite? I've included some pics with each of the options just in case you don't know what the position looks like :)

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Oh my vote goes to the straight leg layback. Michelle does it in FOG, Fumie does it in her Moonlight Sonata LP and I think its gorgeous :)

I also love AP's catch foot layback

mpal2

Final Flight
Specifically on Michelle, I had to go with the dropped leg position because I think she tends to get a better back position on those.

But I also like it when Lucinda Ruh does the dropped leg position.

However, I like the attitude position on Sasha. I don't like her dropped leg position and I haven't quite figured out why yet.

I think by the straight leg, one is talking about an arabasque position of the free leg rather than the attitude position of the free leg.

Well, I'm not up to Mathman's Physics knowledge, I would say that the straight leg (arabesque) position cuts the speed down of the spin while the attidute postition actually enhances the speed.

I like both positions for various reasons and I enjoy watching the leg drop down to a verticle like position. The actual back bend is the most important aspect of the spin.

I do not like the European style of the layback where the knee is not turned out and the leg just dangles with the toe pointing inward.

However, I believe the official definition is just the back bend so the European style can get full credit.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I like the classic layback look... granted it doesn't look as good on Michelle... but there's nothing better than that classic layback :)

flutzilla

Rinkside
Hmmm....

Aesthetically I like the attitude layback position best, although AP's catchfoot layback is a close second for me, i think it's fabulous!

From a personal standpoint, however, my favorite is the drop leg, because it's the only one my 30 year+ old post-baby self can do on the ice! ;)

icenut84

Final Flight
mpal2 said:
However, I like the attitude position on Sasha. I don't like her dropped leg position and I haven't quite figured out why yet.

Ditto. I think Sasha's attitude position is amazing, but I don't really like her layback with the dropped free leg, though I like that position on Michelle. Don't know why.

I voted for the straight leg position though. My favourite of those was Oksana Baiul's - it was beautiful. I just love the position when it's performed well and the leg it really staright and extended (it isn't really in that pic of Michelle, though that may have been just the angle). Oksana's was a beaut, tho.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I think by the straight leg, one is talking about an arabasque position of the free leg rather than the attitude position of the free leg.
wouldn't that be a camel then? LOL

I just love the position when it's performed well and the leg it really staright and extended (it isn't really in that pic of Michelle, though that may have been just the angle). Oksana's was a beaut, tho.
I had a REALLY hard time finding a pic of this. This was the only one I could find. If you watch FOG from last year's worlds after her performance they do a slow-mo of her layback and its gorgeous.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Attitude if done well...

..is by far my favorite. I do give the other positions/skaters credit though. If you can't do a fabulous lay back in the attitude position, then select a position that you CAN do well. I think Michelle has set the standard on that front.

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It was a three-way tie for me, but I did choose the attitude position........loved the way it was done by Dorothy Hamil....none do it better. 42

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I went ahead and voted for the attitude leg, though I love the drop leg too. I loved Yebin Mok's program last year where she did a traditional (attitude) layback right into a drop leg and threw her arms out as she deepened her back bend. I think there's a picture on her website (www.yebinmok.com) of her doing that.

Pookie

Final Flight
I chose the straight leg. It has such a look of freedom and a feeling of joy about it, if that makes any sense.

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
I voted for the drop leg position, although I do like
the attitude version as well. :)

Maybe it's just my computer, but I couldn't get the third
picture to show. :( Anyone else having problems ?

--Hermione

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
As a skater, I find that the attitude postition is the most difficult to do, and so when I see a really well done attitude, I can really appreciate how difficult it is.

Dropped leg, to me, is what people do when they simply can't do an attitude well enough to sustain it for a long period of time. In all fairness, I did a dropped leg for many many years before I finally managed to get it up to the attitude.

I voted for attitude, because, to me, it's the most impressive.

Kat

Seonaid920

On the Ice
My two favorite laybacks are Angela Nikodinov (attitude) and Lucinda Ruh (dropped leg) both are spectacular in different ways

Attitude, definately.....Sasha, Angela, Jenny have 3 of the best laybacks with attitude position IMO.

jesslily

Final Flight
Attitude! Any lady skater who does not have a layback spin with attitude leg position significantly affects her total package. Sorry about so straight forward. Sasha, Angelar, Sarah, and NNN all have great laybacks. Does Jenny Kirk have great layback with attitude leg position?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a site with different spins and jumps but the layback spins feature many of the skaters. Also it takes a while to load.

Skating Moves

Dee