Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back?

nefertiti..reincarnate

Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back?

I haven't heard any official comeback/retirement statement from them yet.

Have I missed something?
    Any press release expected soon?

If no info from them by June 3, I think they will be treated as "comeback skaters if they wish to be so" and won't be given any GP assignments unless they express to make a comeback.
    Is my understanding wrong?

ETA: Thank you mods for the title correction.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 05-26-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Custom Title
    I doubt any of them are coming back. Evan has nothing more to gain being a World and Olympic champion and Joannie hs started a new chapter in her life so i can't see her going back and competing again. As for Johnny who knows with him.

Johnny just released his dress designs for edressme. During Nationals he said he was motivated to come back, but honestly I think it was just talk.

I don't know that Evan has the time to commit to another skating season, he seems to enjoy the high life of fame.

Joannie toured with SOI this year, and AFAIK saw positive feedback in the US for her skating, so she may stay pro.

Banned
    One would think Miki Ando winning Worlds would motivate Joannie to come back, but she doesnt seem to care as much about the thought of winning or medal counts as other top skaters. If she is satsified with her current involvement in skating, and she seems to be, I doubt she comes back.

Evan would never come back after seeing Chan at Worlds. He would only give up his role as the star of SOI and leaving the sport on top with all major titles if he thought he had a real shot of defending his Oly Gold which for now anyway he clearly does not. Even if something happened to Chan he still wouldnt, the quads are coming back and flying, and it will only be alot more by Sochi. Moscow showed scary potential for the mens field by Sochi, even though Chan will almost certainly remain unbeatable the top 8 or 9 will be incredible.

Johnny? Who knows, it seems he might be deserpate for some extra cash considering he started his own reality show which didnt pan out well, tried selling his own book with some scathing remarks. He has burnt almost all his bridges, he has literally no touring offers. However he was never a favorite of the USFSA or international judges alike, and he never mastered COP friendly programs or the quads that are coming back. So it is not like that avenue is a particularly rosy or promising one for him either. The one saving grace for him is the U.S men seem weakish at the moment so maybe he could make a World team, and maybe that would satisfy him for now even with an inevitably mediocre result (barring major improvements) come Worlds. I dont know really.

Custom Title
    Doubt Evan would come back to eligible competition - there is really no reason as he has already won Worlds and OWG. For Johnny - he would have to work a LOT harder to compete again at the eligible level and he seems to be busy enough with his various projects. But Scott Hamilton is trying to get another pro-am going and if that happens perhaps both Evan and Johnny would be interested. Have no clue about Rochette but she seems to be busy with her life now as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Doubt Evan would come back to eligible competition - there is really no reason as he has already won Worlds and OWG.
    unless he wants to try and beat Plushenko in getting two Olympic titles to tie Button.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    unless he wants to try and beat Plushenko in getting two Olympic titles to tie Button.
    Unlike Plushenko I doubt he is delusional (well Plushenko actually had a decent chance of winning in Vancouver, unlike Lysacek in Sochi).

Story about Johnny in Phil Hersh's column today. Looks like he's on the fence....

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...medium=twitter

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Story about Johnny in Phil Hersh's column today. Looks like he's on the fence....

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...medium=twitter
    According to this article, Johnny's deadline to notify the USFS that he is coming back is on June 21 ... so he still has time to make his decision.

Custom Title
    Weir said "Evgeny is pushing me to come back" Interesting!

He also said he is more of a artist/athlete than a athlete/artist which is probably accurate because of his aversion to fully formulating his all triple programs to COP maximum point getting. Then his lack of doing quads even if that really didn't matter at the last Olympics.
    Last edited by gmyers; 05-26-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Weir said "Evgeny is pushing me to come back" Interesting!

He also said he is more of a artist/athlete than a athlete/artist which is probably accurate because of his aversion to fully formulating his all triple programs to COP maximum point getting. Then his lack of doing quads even if that really didn't matter at the last Olympics.
    I think he really admires Evgeni as a "fellow" russian skater even the two have very different styles. Its also a sort of "if he can do it so can I" sort of thing since Evgeni is older than Johnny yet has proved he hasn't lost the goods.

yes but Plushenko is willing to sacrifice the glitz and glam to train properly... Johnny likes fancy dresses, high heels, and the red carpet.... he also admits to having some unhealthy eating habits... plushenko takes care of himself it seems far better, adn is better prepared for competition most events... just saying, there's a huge difference in attitudes.

Banned
    What would Johnnys goal be if he comes back. He isnt competitive for a medal at the World level anymore even if he returned to his former best (that is different from Evan who atleast at this point would be, being reigning Oly Champion his expectations would be different though). Would he be motivated in thinking he had a chance to regain the U.S title maybe in a relatively open field, even if he cant do well at the World level.

Custom Title
    It wouldn't take long for the younger kids to overtake him.

Banned
    Yeah I dont think he would even win the U.S title (or make the World team) if he did come back, but that is the most he could hope for IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast