Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back? | Golden Skate

Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back?

sorcerer

Final Flight
I haven't heard any official comeback/retirement statement from them yet.

Have I missed something?
Any press release expected soon?

If no info from them by June 3, I think they will be treated as "comeback skaters if they wish to be so" and won't be given any GP assignments unless they express to make a comeback.
Is my understanding wrong?

ETA: Thank you mods for the title correction.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt any of them are coming back. Evan has nothing more to gain being a World and Olympic champion and Joannie hs started a new chapter in her life so i can't see her going back and competing again. As for Johnny who knows with him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny just released his dress designs for edressme. During Nationals he said he was motivated to come back, but honestly I think it was just talk.

I don't know that Evan has the time to commit to another skating season, he seems to enjoy the high life of fame.

Joannie toured with SOI this year, and AFAIK saw positive feedback in the US for her skating, so she may stay pro.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
One would think Miki Ando winning Worlds would motivate Joannie to come back, but she doesnt seem to care as much about the thought of winning or medal counts as other top skaters. If she is satsified with her current involvement in skating, and she seems to be, I doubt she comes back.

Evan would never come back after seeing Chan at Worlds. He would only give up his role as the star of SOI and leaving the sport on top with all major titles if he thought he had a real shot of defending his Oly Gold which for now anyway he clearly does not. Even if something happened to Chan he still wouldnt, the quads are coming back and flying, and it will only be alot more by Sochi. Moscow showed scary potential for the mens field by Sochi, even though Chan will almost certainly remain unbeatable the top 8 or 9 will be incredible.

Johnny? Who knows, it seems he might be deserpate for some extra cash considering he started his own reality show which didnt pan out well, tried selling his own book with some scathing remarks. He has burnt almost all his bridges, he has literally no touring offers. However he was never a favorite of the USFSA or international judges alike, and he never mastered COP friendly programs or the quads that are coming back. So it is not like that avenue is a particularly rosy or promising one for him either. The one saving grace for him is the U.S men seem weakish at the moment so maybe he could make a World team, and maybe that would satisfy him for now even with an inevitably mediocre result (barring major improvements) come Worlds. I dont know really.

KKonas

Medalist
Doubt Evan would come back to eligible competition - there is really no reason as he has already won Worlds and OWG. For Johnny - he would have to work a LOT harder to compete again at the eligible level and he seems to be busy enough with his various projects. But Scott Hamilton is trying to get another pro-am going and if that happens perhaps both Evan and Johnny would be interested. Have no clue about Rochette but she seems to be busy with her life now as well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Doubt Evan would come back to eligible competition - there is really no reason as he has already won Worlds and OWG.

unless he wants to try and beat Plushenko in getting two Olympic titles to tie Button.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Weir said "Evgeny is pushing me to come back" Interesting!

He also said he is more of a artist/athlete than a athlete/artist which is probably accurate because of his aversion to fully formulating his all triple programs to COP maximum point getting. Then his lack of doing quads even if that really didn't matter at the last Olympics.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Weir said "Evgeny is pushing me to come back" Interesting!

He also said he is more of a artist/athlete than a athlete/artist which is probably accurate because of his aversion to fully formulating his all triple programs to COP maximum point getting. Then his lack of doing quads even if that really didn't matter at the last Olympics.

I think he really admires Evgeni as a "fellow" russian skater even the two have very different styles. Its also a sort of "if he can do it so can I" sort of thing since Evgeni is older than Johnny yet has proved he hasn't lost the goods.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes but Plushenko is willing to sacrifice the glitz and glam to train properly... Johnny likes fancy dresses, high heels, and the red carpet.... he also admits to having some unhealthy eating habits... plushenko takes care of himself it seems far better, adn is better prepared for competition most events... just saying, there's a huge difference in attitudes.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What would Johnnys goal be if he comes back. He isnt competitive for a medal at the World level anymore even if he returned to his former best (that is different from Evan who atleast at this point would be, being reigning Oly Champion his expectations would be different though). Would he be motivated in thinking he had a chance to regain the U.S title maybe in a relatively open field, even if he cant do well at the World level.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Yeah I dont think he would even win the U.S title (or make the World team) if he did come back, but that is the most he could hope for IMO.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
unless he wants to try and beat Plushenko in getting two Olympic titles to tie Button.

He won't get two Olympic titles even if he beats Plushenko.;) Plushenko wasn't delusional. He was so close in getting his second Olympic gold medal.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Final Flight
You guys seem so confident that they won't come back into competitions ....
(Well maybe except for a tiny possibility of Johnny ...)

Then why don't Joannie nor Evan declare retirement?
Is it cleverer market-wise to avoid stating that one is retired from comps?
Does "being eligible" raise your value in shows?

I remember Suguri saying that staying eligible is essential in promoting herself in shows, but also specifying it as a case characteristic of Japan.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
in the US and Canada the line between pro and amatuer doesn't really exist anymore, so why bother?

sorcerer

Final Flight
Since Sebestyen, Lambiel, Meier ... they all stated retirement in advance or at the end of their last season, I don't think that it's a mentality only within my country to feel that it would be more sincere to the fans/skating community if the skater avoided leaving their status in ambiguity.

We will know by the GP assignments that he/she has retired if we don't see his/her name 2 years in a row, but fans would have wanted to hear the skater's intention in a more direct way than that.

To the feds it would be a much more administrative matter, but I imagine they would ask clarity from skaters.

To make a come back after being retired once is another different matter.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as a fan of two out of the three skaters - it doesn't bother me if they do or not. I guess I just don't see the seriousness of it. Two are headliners in SOI and the third has his own show he's doing. Without having their PR people say it - they've pretty much made it clear they're moving on. Good for them. They don't owe anyone an explanation except - possibly - their skating federation, and who's to say they haven't already declined next season to them?