Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
as a fan of two out of the three skaters - it doesn't bother me if they do or not. I guess I just don't see the seriousness of it. Two are headliners in SOI and the third has his own show he's doing. Without having their PR people say it - they've pretty much made it clear they're moving on. Good for them. They don't owe anyone an explanation except - possibly - their skating federation, and who's to say they haven't already declined next season to them?

I believe that Michelle Kwan has not announced her retirement, yet? In the same way other skaters can keep their options open for many, many years.....

If Evan would come back I would be very happy, if that is what he really wants to do. On the other hand his last competition (so far) was as the reigning World and GPF champion and he won the Olympics. That is a very high note to end the eligible career!

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I actually think Joannie is the most likely of the trio by far to return, even if I dont think she will either. She can still compete for World or Olympic medals at this point for sure, until the caliber of ladies skating goes up which it probably will. Heck she medalled in Vancouver when the competition was 5 times better than it was this season. In fact she could have won the World title this year if she was there and had a good competition. She doesnt have a past history of major titles to live up to either. And she has no competition in Canada.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I believe that Michelle Kwan has not announced her retirement, yet? In the same way other skaters can keep their options open for many, many years.....

If Evan would come back I would be very happy, if that is what he really wants to do. On the other hand his last competition (so far) was as the reigning World and GPF champion and he won the Olympics. That is a very high note to end the eligible career!

I think you are right, Michelle never did announce her retirement from elligible competition.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Okay, the differences between cultures exist and are always interesting. So the North American fans are used to it.

Just one thing, logically, skater's options are open regardless of his/her announcement of retirement. You can always make a come-back.
That's why I don't seem to understand the merit of keeping such ambiguity as the trio does now.

Jeff Buttle lost nothing by clearly announcing his retirement, IMO.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I wish Joannie had competed in Moscow. It would have been awesome to have her finally win (or at least silver) at a WC.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I wish Joannie had competed in Moscow. It would have been awesome to have her finally win (or at least silver) at a WC.
Why won't she try for that this coming season? Can't she?
That's the question I was asking initially on this thread.
But everyone including you say she's same as retired .....

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Like I said earlier I dont think Joannie is one that motivated by what her chances for medals or titles are. It is a shame she wasnt a more competitively hungry mentality or she would have been back this season in a heartbeat.

She would have chances of winning the last 2 Worlds in fact had she gone, way more than she ever had at the 2009 Worlds or 2010 Olympics were Kim was unbeatable. Of course I totally understand her skipping 2010 but really wish she had wanted to go this year.

Symmetry

Rinkside
After watching Joannie's Olympic performance, it doesn't matter to me whether or not she has the World tile. She is a very special champion who will be remembered for a long long time.

kalle

On the Ice
Well, according to an article on icenetwork, Joannie is interested in competing at the Japan Open (if it will be held this year?)Last year she was really "on" and her LP turned out to be my favorite performance of the season!6 triples, only doubled a jump and her 3Loop was a killer!

Japan Open 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucf7gWQMVOM

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2011 Japan Open is October 2.

I saw Joannie in SOI this spring. All she did were a couple of 2As and a 2S. I think she will need to work hard over the summer on regaining her triples if she wants to make a good showing at the Open.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
The 2011 Japan Open is October 2.

I saw Joannie in SOI this spring. All she did were a couple of 2As and a 2S. I think she will need to work hard over the summer on regaining her triples if she wants to make a good showing at the Open.

In an article on Icenetwork the other day she said no to competition next year but yes to the Japan Open:
"Rochette took this week off from skating, but will be back on the ice on Monday to start preparing for shows in Korea in mid-July. She doesn't expect to compete this year, but said she will go to the Japan Open if it's held and she's invited.
"I'll have to train for the long program, which will be quite hard," she says. "We'll see after that."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie is saying exactly what I said. It's a big jump from skating easy exhibition programs to doing a 6-triple FS.

lcd

Match Penalty
The way the sport is once again evolving, I see little reason for athletes of their calibre to feel as if there is only the path of back or forth. Certainly the proposal in the works from Scott Hamilton suggests that the hybrid pro-am event could once again be a reality and skaters like Joannie would be very well served, as would the sport (by attracting fans, television and media coverage, etc) by continuing with a career which expands on opportunities like these (e.g., Japan Open).