Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is any one of Joannie, Johnny or Evan coming back?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    unless he wants to try and beat Plushenko in getting two Olympic titles to tie Button.
    He won't get two Olympic titles even if he beats Plushenko. Plushenko wasn't delusional. He was so close in getting his second Olympic gold medal.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 05-28-2011 at 12:11 AM.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    You guys seem so confident that they won't come back into competitions ....
    (Well maybe except for a tiny possibility of Johnny ...)

Then why don't Joannie nor Evan declare retirement?
    Is it cleverer market-wise to avoid stating that one is retired from comps?
    Does "being eligible" raise your value in shows?

I remember Suguri saying that staying eligible is essential in promoting herself in shows, but also specifying it as a case characteristic of Japan.
    Last edited by sorcerer; 05-28-2011 at 01:12 AM.

in the US and Canada the line between pro and amatuer doesn't really exist anymore, so why bother?

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Since Sebestyen, Lambiel, Meier ... they all stated retirement in advance or at the end of their last season, I don't think that it's a mentality only within my country to feel that it would be more sincere to the fans/skating community if the skater avoided leaving their status in ambiguity.

We will know by the GP assignments that he/she has retired if we don't see his/her name 2 years in a row, but fans would have wanted to hear the skater's intention in a more direct way than that.

To the feds it would be a much more administrative matter, but I imagine they would ask clarity from skaters.

To make a come back after being retired once is another different matter.

as a fan of two out of the three skaters - it doesn't bother me if they do or not. I guess I just don't see the seriousness of it. Two are headliners in SOI and the third has his own show he's doing. Without having their PR people say it - they've pretty much made it clear they're moving on. Good for them. They don't owe anyone an explanation except - possibly - their skating federation, and who's to say they haven't already declined next season to them?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    as a fan of two out of the three skaters - it doesn't bother me if they do or not. I guess I just don't see the seriousness of it. Two are headliners in SOI and the third has his own show he's doing. Without having their PR people say it - they've pretty much made it clear they're moving on. Good for them. They don't owe anyone an explanation except - possibly - their skating federation, and who's to say they haven't already declined next season to them?
    I believe that Michelle Kwan has not announced her retirement, yet? In the same way other skaters can keep their options open for many, many years.....

If Evan would come back I would be very happy, if that is what he really wants to do. On the other hand his last competition (so far) was as the reigning World and GPF champion and he won the Olympics. That is a very high note to end the eligible career!
    Last edited by Jaana; 05-28-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Banned
    I actually think Joannie is the most likely of the trio by far to return, even if I dont think she will either. She can still compete for World or Olympic medals at this point for sure, until the caliber of ladies skating goes up which it probably will. Heck she medalled in Vancouver when the competition was 5 times better than it was this season. In fact she could have won the World title this year if she was there and had a good competition. She doesnt have a past history of major titles to live up to either. And she has no competition in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I believe that Michelle Kwan has not announced her retirement, yet? In the same way other skaters can keep their options open for many, many years.....

If Evan would come back I would be very happy, if that is what he really wants to do. On the other hand his last competition (so far) was as the reigning World and GPF champion and he won the Olympics. That is a very high note to end the eligible career!
    I think you are right, Michelle never did announce her retirement from elligible competition.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Okay, the differences between cultures exist and are always interesting. So the North American fans are used to it.

Just one thing, logically, skater's options are open regardless of his/her announcement of retirement. You can always make a come-back.
    That's why I don't seem to understand the merit of keeping such ambiguity as the trio does now.

Jeff Buttle lost nothing by clearly announcing his retirement, IMO.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I wish Joannie had competed in Moscow. It would have been awesome to have her finally win (or at least silver) at a WC.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I wish Joannie had competed in Moscow. It would have been awesome to have her finally win (or at least silver) at a WC.
    Why won't she try for that this coming season? Can't she?
    That's the question I was asking initially on this thread.
    But everyone including you say she's same as retired .....

Banned
    Like I said earlier I dont think Joannie is one that motivated by what her chances for medals or titles are. It is a shame she wasnt a more competitively hungry mentality or she would have been back this season in a heartbeat.

She would have chances of winning the last 2 Worlds in fact had she gone, way more than she ever had at the 2009 Worlds or 2010 Olympics were Kim was unbeatable. Of course I totally understand her skipping 2010 but really wish she had wanted to go this year.

On the Ice
    After watching Joannie's Olympic performance, it doesn't matter to me whether or not she has the World tile. She is a very special champion who will be remembered for a long long time.

Custom Title
    Well, according to an article on icenetwork, Joannie is interested in competing at the Japan Open (if it will be held this year?)Last year she was really "on" and her LP turned out to be my favorite performance of the season!6 triples, only doubled a jump and her 3Loop was a killer!

Japan Open 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucf7gWQMVOM

Custom Title
    The 2011 Japan Open is October 2.

I saw Joannie in SOI this spring. All she did were a couple of 2As and a 2S. I think she will need to work hard over the summer on regaining her triples if she wants to make a good showing at the Open.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast