Thread: Joey Russell announces retirement

Hybrid View

Rinkside

Joey Russell announces retirement

Joey announced his retirement today

Seriously? I considered his career barely even started! The result he had at Worlds must have really devastated him. This is going to make Canadian Nationals REALLY interesting. I'm kinda sad about Joey though, I sorta liked him.

Banned
    He was a nice skater. I think he reached his peak by making it to Worlds though. I already said I doubted he would even make another Worlds team. As for his Worlds result I doubt it devastated him. It is pretty hard to imagine he expected more, he has no quad, barely can ever do a triple axel, and internationally he is a nobody so gets very low PCS despite the nice qualities in his skating.

Tripping on the Podium
    But he is so young. What is the reason of retirement?

Banned
    He probably reached his goal of making it to Worlds. Perhaps like me felt he was unlikely to make it again, and even if he did wasnt going to move up in the World rankings. And Sochi is a long way away. I am not surprised at all.

And he is not that young. He is a middle aged skater now atleast.

Custom Title
    So much turnover it seems, especially for a post-Olympic season, no? A shame he had such a disappointing Worlds. Can't help but feel that decisions made in the wake of disappointment are sometimes bound to lead to regrets further down the road. Hopefully not. All the best to him regardless.