Joey Russell announces retirement | Golden Skate

Joey Russell announces retirement

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Seriously? I considered his career barely even started! The result he had at Worlds must have really devastated him. This is going to make Canadian Nationals REALLY interesting. I'm kinda sad about Joey though, I sorta liked him.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He was a nice skater. I think he reached his peak by making it to Worlds though. I already said I doubted he would even make another Worlds team. As for his Worlds result I doubt it devastated him. It is pretty hard to imagine he expected more, he has no quad, barely can ever do a triple axel, and internationally he is a nobody so gets very low PCS despite the nice qualities in his skating.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
He probably reached his goal of making it to Worlds. Perhaps like me felt he was unlikely to make it again, and even if he did wasnt going to move up in the World rankings. And Sochi is a long way away. I am not surprised at all.

And he is not that young. He is a middle aged skater now atleast.

Binthere

On the Ice
So much turnover it seems, especially for a post-Olympic season, no? A shame he had such a disappointing Worlds. Can't help but feel that decisions made in the wake of disappointment are sometimes bound to lead to regrets further down the road. Hopefully not. All the best to him regardless.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That's a shame, but probably he had enough. Competetive figure skating is tough. I wish him the best and hope to see him in some of the ice shows. He is a talented skater.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think Russell made a wise, really realistic decision. It´s so much better to start something new while one is still young.