USA Team Envelope came out today | Golden Skate

USA Team Envelope came out today

I believe this Team Envelopes is all about Funding for 20ll/12.

Team in C would probably get enough funding for one overseas competition. No?

silversprings77

Rinkside
No Caroline Zhang? :(

Yeah I noticed that too. I know she finished 12th at Nationals. But I didn't notice a reserve envelope as there has been in years past...is the USFSA not doing a reserve envelope this year or has Caroline fallen that much out of favor? Looks like she'll have to qualify through regionals/sectionals this year...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Neither Caroline or Alex Gillies deserved GP events this year. There are to many other deserving skaters coming up that need the experience so why waste them on Zhang or Gillies?

herios

Medalist
Yeah I noticed that too. I know she finished 12th at Nationals. But I didn't notice a reserve envelope as there has been in years past...is the USFSA not doing a reserve envelope this year or has Caroline fallen that much out of favor? Looks like she'll have to qualify through regionals/sectionals this year...

Skaters who are not in the top 6 previous year at US Nationals, need to qualify for the next year through sectionals, or I am wrong? Alissa for example had to this past season.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Yeah, Caroline got left out, as did Alexe...

But honestly, did they do anything last year that should have earned some kind of funding? I don't think so. I feel so bad for Caroline, but this is her fault for failing to address her issues. She should have started fixing her skating back in 2007 if not earlier. Her chances for re-entering the top tier are very unlikely at this point.

And Alexe seems like a lost cause too...they had their shot. It's time for those who have proved themselves to get the opportunity to go forward, and for the newbies to have their shot. Sad but true...

Sylvia

Record Breaker
But I didn't notice a reserve envelope as there has been in years past...is the USFSA not doing a reserve envelope this year
Skaters assigned to an international (JGP, Sr B, GP) who are not already in an envelope will be added to the Reserve team. Relevant envelope criterion reads: "Athletes in the reserve envelope that medal at a senior B international, Junior Grand Prix Series or Grand Prix Series competition will be placed immediately in Team Envelope C - Tier 2 and receive the remaining funding for that season."

Skaters who are not in the top 6 previous year at US Nationals, need to qualify for the next year through sectionals, or I am wrong? Alissa for example had to this past season.
It's top 5 in Senior at Nationals that automatically get a bye through Regionals (Oct.) and Sectionals (Nov.) to next year's Nationals. Any other skaters competing internationally may be granted a bye through Regionals and/or Sectionals depending on the timing and location of their international(s).

npa

Match Penalty
What about Samuelson-Bates? They are in Team C now - could they skaye at GP this season?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What about Samuelson-Bates? They are in Team C now - could they skaye at GP this season?

There are two things they can do. First is get an invite to Skate America. This is probable. The second is go to a Senior B (most likely Nebelhorn) and get a seasons best to get onto the list for substitutes. If they end up at or near the level they were in the Olympic season, their SB could be high enough to get them a second slot via substitutions. If not, the ranking points they get from said Senior B contributes to their overall standings, which still helps.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Whether it's her fault or not, I do feel bad for Zhang.

I do too. Her dismal placement last season which has resulted in no funding and probably no GP assignments might be just what Caroline needs
to assess her situation and ask herself, can I improve or have I tried my best and unfortunately it is just not good enough to be competitive.
My fingers are crossed that things will work out.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Skating on the Grand Prix is not determined by envelope level, as the USFS press release states:
"The envelope level is primarily determined by the athlete's performance in international and U.S. Figure Skating competitions during the previous season, and is used to determine funding levels. It is not used as a strict guideline for selections to international competitions."

For example, last year Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir did not qualify for a funded envelope but they were invited to a Senior Grand Prix (Skate Canada) based on their top 24 ISU World Standings ranking and were then placed in the Reserve team envelope.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Samuelson/Bates were the bronze medalists at 2010 Nationals; they were 11th at the Olympics and 9th at Worlds 2010. I think it is safe to say USFS will give them a berth at Skate America, and probably a spot at Nebelhorn to establish themselves for the season.