Thread: Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ...

Hybrid View

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar

Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ...

Last edited by Tonichelle; 06-02-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: trying to fix the link / hmmm

kind of shocking... well, there kills one of the great debates on golden skate...

Custom Title
    Holy schpedoinkel.

Custom Title

let the conjecture begin!

I am torn about this news - I just love Islam and Paul and this may just give them the opportunity for more GPS assignments and a berth on the World team. At the same time I am sorry to see Crone and Poirier break up at such a young age - I cant help but wonder if some of the awful negativity that I have seen here and on other skating forums , including rather personal comments about their respective " looks" that must have hurt , may have contributed to this decision? I think Paul is a brilliant skater and I hope he can find a partner that suits him and can match is very strong tecnique.

So , anybody got any ideas as to who he might pair up with ??

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Holy schpedoinkel.
    Oh dear. I honestly signed on today to search for the comments on the US envelopes and THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO READ??????? I am speechless...

Custom Title
    Wow!!!! I was NOT expecting that. I was so hoping they were going to get some advanced help, and was looking forward to see the big improvement. They had their own unique style, and I will miss them.

Banned
    Good news. Now Paul & Islam, a far more talented, interested, and promising team, will get to go to Worlds immediately, whereas the heirarchy in Canadian dance would have prevented it otherwise. Also this makes things even easier for Weaver & Poje to continue their long delayed rise after years of being politically shafted in favor of Crone & Poirier. Wise choice by Crone & Poirier too. They clearly had the best season they were ever going to have in the sport with a Grand Prix victory, Grand Prix final medal, Canadian title, and Four Continents title. Good note to go out on, they were passed by a bunch of younger teams this season and were never going to make a World podium.

OMG, this IS shocking. It sounds like Vanessa wants to maybe become a singles skater? I'm not really sure who Poirier could pair up with. I thought of Khokhlova, if things don't work out with Andreev (I know Paul isn't quite up to her speed but he's better than Fedor IMO), but that just seems sort of ridiculous for some reason. lol. Anyway, this is good news for Paul and Islam though, and I guess Ralph and Hill too since I don't think they'll lose their spot on the national team now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    well, there kills one of the great debates on golden skate...
    Heh, well said. Seriously though, this is unfortunate. I too had hoped that with time, they would have eventually found their own skating "voice" with additional coaching and choreographic input and recovered their upward trajectory. I never disliked them per se, I simply thought they style they had chosen, especially this season, was a bad fit. Also, I find this decision to be part of a somewhat disturbing trend among skaters, but also other athletes. It seems that they are too inclined to call it quits or break up at too early an age. P/B, Delobel/ Schoenfelder, D/L, F/S, B/K, etc. all achieved their greatest success late in their careers. They did not give up. If this is about feeling that some styles of skating don't fit well with COP, who's to say there won't changes in the future that would benefit them? There's something to be said for sticking things out through the bad times even in the eyes of the judges. It makes success later all the sweeter.

Here's hoping they both find happiness in the future.