Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ... | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ...

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Perhaps when Vanessa goes to another coach, she may be a bit more forthcoming( in a diplomatic way, of course )..but if she's still practising at the same rink, or in any interview given to PJ, I wouldn't expect more.
I think she intends us ( anyone) to read between the lines a bit when she says she'd be open to changing coaches.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Perhaps when Vanessa goes to another coach, she may be a bit more forthcoming( in a diplomatic way, of course )..but if she's still practising at the same rink, or in any interview given to PJ, I wouldn't expect more.
I think she intends us ( anyone) to read between the lines a bit when she says she'd be open to changing coaches.

I am remaining optimistic. I'm looking at this as what could be the best thing to happen to Vanessa and Paul. Both could potentially make it back with different partners. I'll cite my previous example of Anissina. She AND her former partner made it to the Olympic podium in the same year with other partners.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I am remaining optimistic. I'm looking at this as what could be the best thing to happen to Vanessa and Paul. Both could potentially make it back with different partners. I'll cite my previous example of Anissina. She AND her former partner made it to the Olympic podium in the same year with other partners.

And at Worlds that year, another one of her ex-partners made the podium.

Antilles

Medalist
Tiny, since Emily didn't compete this year, she could move countries and not have to sit out a year. Of course that depends onwhether she'd want to move anywhere else and if the US federation would try to keep her. I just hope everyone finds new
partners. There's too much talent to lose from recent break-ups.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I prefer all of Virtue & Moir, Weaver & Poje, Mitchell & Islam to Crone & Poirier anyway. I find all 3 teams more enjoyable to watch. The reality is there are only 3 spots for any country. Who is to say all of us would even want Vanessa or Paul with a new partner to make it back on the World team before any of those retire. I am sure some hope for that, but probably there are a good number who dont.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
“It was personal, more than a skating problem,” Crone said. “It was hard to fix, but we have to grow as people. Everyone was shocked, even when we sat down and knew this was the best for both of us.”

“It’s sad to see everything stop at this point, but it wasn’t healthy what was going on between us. We’re still friends and passionate about skating. Maybe, one day, Paul and I will get back together.”

Source

herios

Medalist
IP, thank-you

The more I am reading about this, the sadder it becomes. And of course they know how difficult it to find a suitable new partner at this level. A potential world top 10 ice dancer is not waiting at each street corner for them. I was already reading between the lines in the other interview, Colleen posted that womething was "rotten in Denmark".
The canadian uce dance depth suddenly is not as deep as it was. And if the Paul /Islam fans are rejoicing, I would have an advice to them:
Be cautiously optimistic. You do not know how they will develop, if they will stick together, etc.
You never know.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well, I expect P/I to develop well judging by what they've done so far... Still, I love a wealth of competition..;)But all of the splits this season ought to give anybody a wait and see attitude.:eek::eek:

Vanessa is very polite...but I'm sure there was an unhealthy situation , extending beyond the 2 of them. I always felt Paul was considered the star ,whereas any partnership should be co-equal...Anyway, I'm glad she's taking charge of her destiny.

skfan

Final Flight
how could p/i fans rejoice? look at what happened with samuelson and bates. chock and zuerlein's splitting up became a catalyst for samuelson and bates' own split-- i believe this until someone provides proof to the contrary. i'm not even referring to the facetious suggestions i've read that paul poirier pair up with alexandra paul to form paul and poirier, saving rod black a lot of mental effort.

as a p/i fan i don't even like the idea of the path to canada #3 looking 'easy' for p/i--they have to scratch and claw and not relax and take things for granted if they want to make headway--i doubt their ultimate goal is to be canada's #3 and just _make_ the world team.

back to crone and poirier, i really admire how frank and yet respectful vanessa's tone has been in the few quotes i've read. i won't pretend i've followed this closely--i've been anxiously waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since the chock/bates rumors started, but i'm really rooting for vanessa to find a partner with whom she can enjoy skating for a long time.

callalily

On the Ice
It doesn't seem so tragic to me.

It sounds like this is part of growing up and asserting themselves as adults. They have a Canadian title (in V&M's absence, sure, but the title is theirs nonetheless), have participated in the Olympics, etc. If I were Vanessa's parent I wouldn't expect her to stay boxed into a difficult situation; I'd encourage her to explore her options in life and do what seems right for the long term. She's not a kid anymore. (Same goes for Paul.) To go further in the sport as a team, they both need to want it, and need to figure out how to support one another through the ups and downs. That, more than another medal, would represent real personal growth, in my opinion. And if one partner (doesn't matter which one) doesn't want to be a team player, then it's time to re-evaluate. (I suppose I'm a bad fan, but I feel there's more to life than medals.)

callalily

On the Ice
i'm not even referring to the facetious suggestions i've read that paul poirier pair up with alexandra paul to form paul and poirier, saving rod black a lot of mental effort.

Glad someone's looking out for Rod, what with that new CTV contract... :laugh:

scs

Rinkside
The situation sounds sad for both of them. I do hope it works out for the best.
Does anyone know if this team was a couple off the ice as well? Is that part of what is going on?

beabstress

On the Ice
Maybe Paul and Emily Samuelson?

Not likely to happen, but wouldn't THAT be interesting!? Emily and Paul might be sublime together. I hope no one rushes to misinterpret what I'm saying, to think that I'm happy that S/B ended their partnership (it's always unfortunate to see relationships, even purely working relationships, end like this); however, despite their lovely lines, as many have pointed out, S/B always looked a little odd together, I thought. Emily just always seemed far more elegant and sophisticated than young and wholesome Evan--a contrast of styles that didn't really work for me. Maybe the two of them will have even more success with new partners--who knows!? Gotta wish everyone the best.