Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Crone & Poirier announce split and future plans ...

alithia

Final Flight
Riazanova/Guerreiro is one of the splits I'm still refusing to accept.
Alison Reed has no partner,I don't know if she can catch up with Paul at this level.Madison Chock, if the split rumors turn out to be true,will never get released from USFSA.It would be more certain that the USFSA will try to get Poirier ( a la Belbin) but Skate Canada will never release him either.
Since he's saying he's looking for international partners as well,I'm pretty sure he has something in mind, but I don't know any other top level dancers without a partnership.
Nora Hoffman is too tall and the way ice dancing is right now these kind of difference won't work that well.Maybe some of the French junior dancers or some of the Canadian junior couple have split as well?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian partners are out of the question because no one at that level will be released before Sochi.

Nora Hoffmann is not only too tall, but I can't see that she would even consider skating for Canada. She is part of the one and only Hungarian team and is assured of World/Olympic berths; she'd have to wait a year before competing again after having missed Worlds 2011 due to injury, and then she'd be one of four teams vying for three Worlds spots.

Alison Reed might be a possibility, but it seems to me I heard that she would prefer to find a partner who would be willing to skate for Japan.

herios

Medalist
From Skate Canada Facebook page:

"Update: After having time to think over her skating career Vanessa Crone has decided that she still has a strong passion for skating and will be searching out another partner. She hopes Paul finds someone to skate with, so he can continue to pursue his passion as well. Skate Canada wishes the best of luck to both Vanessa and Paul"

So it comes down to this...If you think this was an amiable situation, you are mistaken. Something went sour between the two of them, it was already clear to me, after reading Paul's interview by PJ Kwong.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^^Thanks for update. I have to agree with you.

I am happy to hear this news about Vanessa. Maybe after some time apart and things settle between them they will decide
to get back together. One can hope.

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Something tells me we are not being told the whole truth yet. Hmmm.... There is something up here. The spidey sense is tingling.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^Thanks for update. I have to agree with you.

I am happy to hear this news about Vanessa. Maybe after some time apart and things settle between them they will decide
to get back together. One can hope.

Nope. It seems these two were not a happy pair. It's no wonder they looked so disconnected when they performed together.

I suspect Paul was the darling of his coaches and Vanessa was the odd one out, so of course she wanted a change. And that was it---she was out.

Sorry, they are done.

13KJC13

Rinkside
Nope. It seems these two were not a happy pair. It's no wonder they looked so disconnected when they performed together.

I suspect Paul was the darling of his coaches and Vanessa was the odd one out, so of course she wanted a change. And that was it---she was out.

Sorry, they are done.

Or perhaps there were just some things going on with both sides of this partnership that we do not know about and it was in the best interest of BOTH skaters to go their own way. Please stop trying to paint one skater as the villain and the other as an innocent victim who got kicked to the curb unless you have reliable information, directly from the skaters themselves.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:Oh, thank you for the update ! Go, Vanessa !

I've been stewing for the past few days..and nearly came on to rant last night , but decided in favour of sleep...I've been getting more and more steamed on Vanessa's behalf the more I thought about it ,so this is very good news , to me.

I felt that there was already a decided plan ( and pehaps a done deal )for Paul after reading PJ's blog. PJ 's writing, etc.,in the past , has had a tinge of "unofficial PR person" for Carol Lane ,in particular ,and her school ,in general...so I really got the feeling it was a spin piece and Vanessa had been dumped.

chuckm...I couldn't agree more. There's always been an aura of Paul is the star about them , which always left me shaking my head because I really don't think Vanessa is a lesser skater. I always thought Vanessa was not getting the help she needed , while the major decisions in program choices were made to cover up Paul's main weakness ( relating to his partner ). I felt that she was sort of treated like Paul's accessory instead of his partner.

I hope she finds a suitable partner and coach, and that we get to see her back on the ice in a happier situation.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even if they find new partners I doubt either of them will make another World team for Canada until after 2014.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Never say never!

Who would have thought the Shibs, who did not do that well their last year in juniors, would win World bronze this year?
I know many people who would never have thought Meryl & Charlie would be world champions.
What did the trick for both teams?
Work. Lots of it.
And a honest eye for looking at themselves and trying to fix what needed fixing.
Plus some Shpilband/Zueva magic.

Everyone has always said that Vanessa & Paul were hard workers.
Vanessa is very talented, & she's only 20 or 21 AFAIR.

Paul's a year younger.
With hard work, I can see both Vanessa and Paul doing very, very well in new teams.

As to prior to 2014, who would have thought C&P would split?
Anything can happen.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Poirier is looking for an international partner who has been representing another country this season, then they can't actually start competing until the 2012-2013 season. Meanwhile, Poirier's main competitors (W/P and P/I) have been improving and gaining recognition.

Vanessa has a bigger problem in that there are more women looking for male partners than vice versa. And if she goes the international route, she'll have the same problem as Paul.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Never say never!

ITA. I don't write anyone off. Everybody has the right to prove herself or himself. However,

Who would have thought the Shibs, who did not do that well their last year in juniors, would win World bronze this year?
I know many people who would never have thought Meryl & Charlie would be world champions.
What did the trick for both teams?
Work. Lots of it.

Hard work is just about the most common attribute among high level skaters, who would not have made it so far without it. It is a prerequisite, emphasized simply because it's within the individual's control. But it's not enough, nor is it a factor exclusive to the really successful elite skaters such as World medalists. One of these factors seems to be the couple's commitment to each other and the longevity of partnership, as in the cases of the V/M and Marlie, even possibly the Shibs as examples offered. It is what brings success to the Chinese Pairs.

Both Venessa and Paul are young and it's possible for them to form new commited partnership for the long haul. Possible, but to be a top team, such partnership has to be magical, which is the often elusive pursuit of many a Pair skater and Ice Dancer. If magic is not instant, it may take years to cultivate. Hopefully, experience helps expedite the process.

And a honest eye for looking at themselves and trying to fix what needed fixing.

That was probably what they did and decided the problem could not be fixed.

Plus some Shpilband/Zueva magic.

N/A to Venessa and Paul currently.

I love success stories and magic, so I wish them the best.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ITA. I don't write anyone off. Everybody has the right to prove herself or himself. However,

Hard work is just about the most common attribute among high level skaters, who would not have made it so far without it. It is a prerequisite, emphasized simply because it's within the individual's control. But it's not enough, nor is it a factor exclusive to the really successful elite skaters such as World medalists. One of these factors seems to be the couple's commitment to each other and the longevity of partnership, as in the cases of the V/M and Marlie, even possibly the Shibs as examples offered. It is what brings success to the Chinese Pairs.

Both Venessa and Paul are young and it's possible for them to form new commited partnership for the long haul. Possible, but to be a top team, such partnership has to be magical, which is the often elusive pursuit of many a Pair skater and Ice Dancer. If magic is not instant, it may take years to cultivate. Hopefully, experience helps expedite the process.

That was probably what they did and decided the problem could not be fixed.

N/A to Venessa and Paul currently.

I love success stories and magic, so I wish them the best.

:thumbsup:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow, this is disappointing news. I loved their program the best this season - choreographed by the great Christopher Dean. They certainly were up to Christophers' demanding choreography, sign of their potential. I do hope Paul can find a new partner, I am sure there is some lucky young lady out there! I also wish Vanessa the best in her new path. It was great having them on our wonderful long list of talented ice dance teams! All the best to Paul and Vanessa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSKAgBUBByo&feature=player_detailpage

colleen o'neill

Medalist
At last pj has posted a piece on Vanessa...

http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/

I hope she finds a good match at the tryouts ,and I hope she finds a suitable coach. Nothing I've heard/read , so far, leads me to believe she was not blindsided by the split.

Best of luck to her . I hope to see her back blooming.:)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
At last pj has posted a piece on Vanessa...

http://apps.pjkwong.com/blog/

I hope she finds a good match at the tryouts ,and I hope she finds a suitable coach. Nothing I've heard/read , so far, leads me to believe she was not blindsided by the split.

Best of luck to her . I hope to see her back blooming.:)

More than ever, she reminds me of Marina Anissina, who was left without a partner. Then twelve years later, she got the last laugh.

Binthere

On the Ice
Something tells me we are not being told the whole truth yet. Hmmm.... There is something up here. The spidey sense is tingling.

Oh ABSOLUTELY AGREE. All of these prematurely issued smooth lip-service press releases are actually doing none of the athletes who are splitting up any favors.