Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: "Ms Kwan Goes to Washington", from Hersh

Custom Title
    Math, my admiration and gratitude grows by leaps and bounds. (It increases geometrically, one might say.) You worked with Bob Moses? Wow.

I love your history of algebra. By coincidence, we were just talking about algebra on another site where I was chatting. But this conversation here is much more exalted. The whole phi ratio is amazing, and its many appearances in nature are as beautiful to me as any rainbow or cloud formation. In fact, the page in The Da Vinci Code where the main character talks about phi and the Fibonacci numbers is the single most interesting section of that book for me. I was disappointed that there wasn't more of that to the story. I didn't care a whit about the supposed lineage of the French royal family. I wanted more number patterns! And how cool to hear about how it helps people analyze stock prices, SkateFiguring. Hah! Learn Fibonacci and see the world.

I think most people take our numeral system for granted, and yet it's such a huge step forward. Never even mind algebra...that numeral system revolutionized what could be done with math in Europe, affecting architecture and other applied sciences. The Roman system was not a place value system. The number XLVIII, or 48, looked larger than the number M, or 1,000. Impossible to do any computation, even basic column addition, let alone multiplication and division. The idea of zero as a place holder (also used by I think the Mayans) was crucial. I believe the Europeans had to use little stones, called calculi (aha!), for actual computation.

I'm curious...anyone know the history of math and number systems in East Asia?

So much fascinating discussion from Michelle Kwan starting a second career.
    Last edited by Olympia; 06-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorita
    Now who can write the real Phi with his keyboard?

Alt 106 on my keyboard. But I can't see this on GS :( Maybe GS does not support this font?
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-06-2011 at 08:22 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Each state sends delegates, and the delegates decide on the nominee for that party for president (and incidentally the vice president too; you can't vote for these two offices separately in an election). .....
    Thank you, I got it all, except how delegates are picked?Is there a criteria for simple citizens, or local politic people?And who decides if this delegation is the official?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post

Aren't you glad you asked?
    Thrilled, but I m having an overdose of info today, I cant process them!
    you mean golden skates doesnt support the golden number? φ this you see? in school not to confuse it with another similar letter we had learnt phi is like a lolipop.

OK, I can see your phi but not mine. But I can copy and paste yours.

φ

Custom Title
    Hooray! I've heard of art by committee but this is the first phi by committee that I've ever encountered.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Last thing, alt + 106 for me is letter j. Have you tried alt +1000?

we are OΦΦ topic.

Custom Title
    jÞ♀╠╣®ç~ôµ•Õ

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Mathman, you are a true hero! You are a civil rights pioneer and the efforts of you and those you worked with helped make this land a more perfect union. I'm sorry for and humbled by the fact that I've never heard of Fannie Lou Hamer until now, but reading up on her, what an amazing woman — she braved jail and violent beatings just to register black people to vote. Thank you for standing along side her and for all the ideals she did!

But the fight continues. Look what happened to ACORN. Or all the odious requirements and fees being added to voting in various states as we type. And I've seen first hand in Ohio how a polling place that serves two neighboring districts had an empty queue for the white majority district, while the black majority district was lined up around the block because they used the same number of voting machines for a far larger number of people. I've been threatened with cops, dogs and guns on my voter registration drives.

But we wouldn't even have these freedoms to fight for if you, Fannie Hamer, Bob Moses and other civil rights heroes didn't get us there in the first place. Again, thank you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4