"Ms Kwan Goes to Washington", from Hersh | Golden Skate

"Ms Kwan Goes to Washington", from Hersh

That silver lame dress. Was she poured into it? or was it sewed on her? Wow.

Best of everything for Kwan and she'll get my vote if she turns to politics. I would suggest she work towards getting an Ambassasorship to the United Nations and after some four years think about running for President of the USA.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree with all of you. What a wonderful post-skating life Michelle is making for herself! I like your idea of Ambassador to the U.N., Joe. My thought was her maybe becoming Secretary of State at some point. But something splendid lies ahead. And the great thing is, if she stays with that career, she'll do good for all of us as well.

Initially, I was sorry she didn't stay in skating as a pro. But I can't be selfish. I think she was not just smart but wise to move on as she has. We'll always have YouTube, and this new life of hers will be both fruitful and satisfying.

And just think! She may be the only Ambassador with a fan club! Unless, that is, YuNa follows in her footsteps and does something equivalent in public life for Korea. It could happen! If it does, I'll join both fan clubs.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
That silver lame dress. Was she poured into it? or was it sewed on her? Wow.

Best of everything for Kwan and she'll get my vote if she turns to politics. I would suggest she work towards getting an Ambassasorship to the United Nations and after some four years think about running for President of the USA.
not anyone else could fit in this gold dress AND look classy in it!!!!
Maybe we should start voting also from Europe for US president?:) I could make the banner!

skfan

Final Flight
i must be the only one picturing my niece and her college friends holding signs protesting human rights in china outside MK's office. not so far in the future now :)

of course, even when MK was a skater, she couldn't please everybody. par for the course, no?

MK should do what makes her happy, but i would not vote for her solely because i admired her when she was a skater--i'd have to hear where she stands on the issues first. i also don't feel, as some do, that she should have done more professional skating or bore some responsibility for the death of professional skating in america.

Last edited:
Agreed, skfan: if I don't support her political views, I will reluctantly vote for the other person.

One more reason I hope she stays with diplomacy instead of entering politics...but as you say, I don't expect her to please everyone, even her devoted fans!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Diplomacy is rife with politics, the only difference is that you, the average citizen, don't get to directly vote on the posts. The assignment of such are full of backdoor dealings, twists and partisanship. Worse now that Jon Huntsman's awkward candidacy serves as a warning for future cross-aisle postings.

I actually hope Kwan runs for public office, regardless of her politics.

She has spent years being subjected to the secret machinations of a cabal (the ISU), and she's in for more of the same if she wants to be a career diplomat. For a refreshing change, why not let the public judge her directly? She has let us get very honest glimpses of her soul in countless performances, she can do the same with her ideals and aspirations for her community. Her greatest attribute as a skater and a person, in my opinion, is her ability to communicate with the crowd at large and getting them to feel her. No, she doesn't have perfect diction and isn't the best speaker, but I have no doubt she can get through to people. It's a gift that's going to be largely wasted in the world of diplomacy, where her ascendance will be subject to the whims of a few with their own agendas.

Besides, Michelle loves competition. Watching the vote tally come in on election night at campaign head quarters is just as much of a rush as any nail biting session in the kiss and cry. I think she'll get a kick out of it.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Kwan should start from home, how about running for ISU member and even president!! She should get strong backing from at least 3 major federations, US, Canada and China (?) plus she totally earned her way in and knows the needs of the skaters :)

Hmm. Didn't think of that, os168. But somehow I don't think Kwan will want to participate in that aspect of skating. She'd rather go for international work, it seems to me, and she obviously feels she has something to contribute there.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Kwan should start from home, how about running for ISU member and even president!! She should get strong backing from at least 3 major federations, US, Canada and China (?) plus she totally earned her way in and knows the needs of the skaters :)
+ 1
AND she is MUCH more beautiful than Ciquanta..Can you imagine him in the gold dress?:biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hmm. Didn't think of that, os168. But somehow I don't think Kwan will want to participate in that aspect of skating. She'd rather go for international work, it seems to me, and she obviously feels she has something to contribute there.

Yeah but I thought ISU stood for International Skating Union :) May be she can do it part time? It would just be nice to have a skater involved in some of these decisions, but yeah I agree Michelle can do more than outside skating, particularly now she is 'in' with the 'Hu' :p

+ 1
AND she is MUCH more beautiful than Ciquanta..Can you imagine him in the gold dress?:biggrin:

... and I wish there's an emoticon for: shudder with goose bumps, mild nausea before collapsed with cold sweat and then scenes from the exorcist.

Last edited:
What was interesting about Kwan after retirement. She never mentioned wanting to be an Actor. So many skaters (champions at least) think that Hollywood is beckoning them. But that was 70 years ago. Beauty isn't enough; Talent isn't enough. Hard work studying acting while noticing how all people around you are behaving or misbehaving from day to day is the method.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What was interesting about Kwan after retirement. She never mentioned wanting to be an Actor. So many skaters (champions at least) think that Hollywood is beckoning them. But that was 70 years ago. Beauty isn't enough; Talent isn't enough. Hard work studying acting while noticing how all people around you are behaving or misbehaving from day to day is the method.

Well, I think she also tested the waters too. I remember she had roles in Ice Princess and a minor role in Mulan II before deciding school was the way to go.

ATW27

On the Ice
Reading the article, and her interest in possibly pursuing a career in politics, I can't help but think of all the "Kwan for President!" stuff from a few years ago. ;)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

+ 1
AND she is MUCH more beautiful than Cinquanta..Can you imagine him in the gold dress?:biggrin:

I just hope when Math sees the pic, he'll be OK. :laugh: :laugh:

:love:

I should have been more precise. I meant international diplomacy and relations, not international skating. I think that after she's been to luncheons with heads of state and has worked so hard on a Master's degree (though granted it seems to have been about the Olympics), Michelle is not going to be satisfied with a career of wrangling over whether a triple axel should be worth more than a quad toe in the CoP system. I think she's implied that she's put in her time in skating, and she's closed that door. But she could still surprise us!