USOC Announces NBC/Universal Wins Olympic TV Rights | Golden Skate

USOC Announces NBC/Universal Wins Olympic TV Rights

Serious Business

Record Breaker
NBC retains right to screw up the Olympics broadcast

Sigh. I am sorry, my fellow American skate fans, but despite the exit of Comcast takeover (with the expected belt-tightening) and the long overdue firing of NBC sports honcho Dick Ebersol, the last place network somehow scrounged up enough cash to bid for the next 4 Olympics. We can look forward to most competitors being skipped from the tape-delayed broadcast and Sandra Bezic's paradoxically shrill yet monotonous commentary. Truly, a tragic day.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I saw this news on a gymnastics forum earlier today. I expect terrible commentary on both sports for the next ten years. Sad, sad, sad. How I miss Dick Button's commentary.

If NBC is to do the Sochi Olys, watch for America's Sweetheart Vonn, get the hype as she sails down the slopes, and further, at what time will we see Senior Ladies figure skating on TV? Isn't it a 9 hour difference between Russia and NYC? Maybe Sochi is 10 hours. I do not think Russia will bend their schedules for Americans.

koheikun90

On the Ice
As long as NBC can post raw footage of all the figure skating programs and gymnastics routines, I'm happy. I don't bother watching the broadcast version until after I see the raw footage.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Their coverage of Beijing 2008 was ok, great online coverage but too much Phelps/oversaturation of fluff/tape delays on TV.

However, I was very disappointed w/their Vancouver 2010 coverage. They could have done so much better given that it was IN THE SAME TIME ZONE as the (west coast of the) US!

For that reason, I was hoping for another network to get them (would be nice to get a different perspective as well)- but the promise of live coverage is a good thing. Let's hope they stick to it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC sucks simple as that. Another 10 years of watching that midget Bob Costas hosting the Olympics makes me want to gag. I live on the west coast and the same time zone as Vancouver and i still didn't see any live figure skating. Or for that matter much of anything live.

janetfan

Match Penalty
NBC sucks simple as that. Another 10 years of watching that midget Bob Costas hosting the Olympics makes me want to gag. I live on the west coast and the same time zone as Vancouver and i still didn't see any live figure skating. Or for that matter much of anything live.

Time zones are more important than your individual preferences.

I remember when I lived in Portland, OR and watching delayed broadcasts of Monday Night Football.

Just so you know, if NBC broadcasts the figure skating Live from Sochi (without PrimeTime replays) in 2014 it will mean 90 + % of Americans won't see it.

That would be the end of figure skating in USA so hopefuly most of the ridiculous comments criticizing NBC will be ignored as such short sighted comments have nothing to do with the well-being of the sport and are only about the selfish needs of less than 1% of the USA viewing public.

Figure skating has taken a big hit with the American public and will never come back into vogue until a few changes are made.

If not the sport will go on as a a very minor niche sport lacking decent TV coverage.
That would make a few at GS very happy but not me.

I would rather see the general public drawn back in to some extent because that would be good for figure skating.

No snobbery from me on this point.

It is still incomprehensible fo me to try and imagine how Darts gets shown in Europe over figure skating. :p

In USA no matter when or how they show CoP skating it gets lower ratings than beach vollyball .

Maybe gkelly or mathman can attempt to exlain when CoP skating will make a comeback in USA.

It seems a fact that in it's current form (IJS/CoP) it is unaccpetable to the American public.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes they used to tape delay Monday night football here also. But ABC finally got their heads out of there *** and broadcast it live now. Doubt NBC will ever do that even if they could.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sigh. I am sorry, my fellow American skate fans, but despite the exit of Comcast takeover (with the expected belt-tightening) and the long overdue firing of NBC sports honcho Dick Ebersol, the last place network somehow scrounged up enough cash to bid for the next 4 Olympics. We can look forward to most competitors being skipped from the tape-delayed broadcast and Sandra Bezic's paradoxically shrill yet monotonous commentary. Truly, a tragic day.

I expect terrible commentary on both sports for the next ten years. Sad, sad, sad. How I miss Dick Button's commentary.

Nothing personal against Bob Costas, but I miss the glory days of Jim McKay (Mr. Olympics in my book) and ABC's Olympic coverage. Still want Uncle Dickie's commentary, no matter what!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
One of the worst things about the NBC figure skating coverage for me is Tom Hammond. He knows nothing about skating, makes no effort to learn, has absolutely no enthusiasm for the sport whatsoever and yet is shoehorned into every damn figure skating broadcast on the channel. Really, he's just dumb. Also, he has a head like a lumpy sack of potatoes, which I find disturbing to look at.

I'm not fond of Sandra Bezic or Scott Hamilton's commentary, but at least they actually care about the sport, know a thing or two about it, and are people I respect. Tom Hammond, though, brings nothing to the table except my nausea.