Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 'ICE' ISU Open Pro-Am series planned for 2012 (Scott Hamilton's brainchild)

IMG isn't a sponsor, but Scott Hamilton has contacts with that company. I was just speculating about how the financing and organization might work out if they decide to hold the finals in Japan.

MM, much of your speculations in the off seasons come across as gospel, and it is disconcerting as to what information you bring as being really accurate.

One has to know entitlements of round trip First Class Travel, Business Class or Coach. Hotels' suites and double rooms, What would be the PerDiem for food and other necessities. How does a competitor get from hotel to Arena and back to hotel?
    And that's just working out a Budge, and arrangements for travel between airport and hotel and back. There are more anticipated expenditures, like how much $ to coerce an invitee to participate. Three Continent Travel in a short period of time is exhausting, Cost of Prize monies. Costs of Judges and Medical Care.

I am certain that Hamilton et al have come up with a budget for this enterprise. I would not speculate on how they did it, but willing to wait to see if ICE is a go.

Speculating on the Invitees is fine if one can give a bit of credence to it. Many will make demands as the trips will be exhausting.
    Last edited by Joesitz; 06-17-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    One has to know entitlements of round trip First Class Travel, Business Class or Coach. Hotels' suites and double rooms, What would be the PerDiem for food and other necessities. How does a competitor get from hotel to Arena and back to hotel
    ?
    And that's just working out a Budge, and arrangements for travel between airport and hotel and back. There are more anticipated expenditures, like how much $ to coerce an invitee to participate. Three Continent Travel in a short period of time is exhausting, Cost of Prize monies. Costs of Judges and Medical Care.
    Do you think that ICE executive Booby Goldwater, having served for 24 years in the management team for Madison Square Garden before moving to Los Angels to run the Srta0ples Center doesn't know how to issue badges to participants? That was before he became President and Executive Director of the D.C. Sports and Entertainment Commission, and before he formed his own sports and entertainment company, the Goldwater Group.

The other CEO, Rob Dustin has produced numerous television sports and entertainment events, including segments for three Olympic Winter Games for CBS. They understand that arrangements have to be made for transportation, etc.

Speculating on the Invitees is fine if one can give a bit of credence to it. Many will make demands as the trips will be exhausting.
    I am going by the official announcements of the new organization ICE and the information given in the official Communication of the ISU Council's April 2011 meeting. Plans may change, of course. But just going by the official announcements, the list of potential invitees is small.

No doubt some stars will make demands, and some won't want to do it anyway.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.

I'm not familiar with Goldwater or Dustin, and I am not saying that their plan is not well thought out. If profit is their aim, I wish them luck.

My point was to make it known to GS boardmembers what goes into the Logistics of running a Competition in three different Continents. In comparison to the Grand Prix, it will be tougher to assemble the whole kit and kaboodle.

The spacing between continents should be enough for the contestants to rest in between.

Does this new event feel like Speedy and ISU have realized that killing pro skating in N. America with the point of monopizing skating has not worked out so well?

Personally I like the Japan Open and would not mind seeing USA and Canada hosting a similar event.

As to the details for this new event that is for the organizers to work out.

The idea of seeing skaters like Lambiel, Buttle, Arakawa, etc in whatever type of event sounds good to me.
    That said I did not really enjoy the event right after the Olympics with the Pro skaters performing as Dance Teams.

I always thought it was a waste to limit skaters like Stephane and Shizuka to a Dance routine when they are such wonderful singles skaters.
    I like the Canadian show with the hockey players but not the US version with the celebrities who could barely skate.

It's impossible to please everyone and even if I did not like some of these events I still watched (or as much as I could take ).

I think skating needs more exposure in USA but not so sure if weak concepts help and might even hurt interest in skating.

The Japan Open seems nice to me as soft competition that feaures new programs from top competitive skaters and a chance to see "legends" of the sport showing more than just a show type program.

The old Skate America is gone and a new event similar to the Japan Open might be a good way to kick off the season in USA.

Not sure about this new event but I will watch it. Just hope it doesn't turn out too cheesey and scare away viewers rather than bringing them back.

^^^
    Naming potential skaters is a bit of my favorites are. Of course there are skaters we would all like to see skate competitively again. We should remember, it's an invitational event which nesessitates agreement between player and management. It's a wait and see but one can enjoy guessing.

What interests me more, is this 3 Continent Plan of Competitions, and how much of it will we see on TV? What is the spacing in time between them? Will this be an exhaustive trip for the invitees? Let's hope it doesnt hurt those who are also skating the GPs.

Will an American network be able to travel with gear to the other venues? If an Asian network agrees to show the competition, will we see it? So much is a wait and see what the ICE competition is all about.

Custom Title
    I think the Around The World In 20 Days format must be very taxing financially as well as physically for the participants. Will the current eligible skaters want to exhasust themselves and jeopardize their regular season? Do they return to home base after each event or stay on to continue to the next continent? Plane tickets and accomodations for each skater will add up and they should also be compensated for the whole three weeks of not working elsewhere. Unlike the old days when skating was an European and North American sport, its popularity and success are the highest in Asia these days, important markets that sustain the sport. Competition travels are trully global. Compared to a group of skaters travelling in a bus on a continental tour, this intercontinental travelling competition will be costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Will an American network be able to travel with gear to the other venues? If an Asian network agrees to show the competition, will we see it? So much is a wait and see what the ICE competition is all about.
    Like other international events, a local network would provide the footage to all subscribing networks elsewhere instead of each one doing their own production!

Rinkside
    Personally I welcome someone like Scott Hamilton - who has been there (The early tough days of Stars on Ice) and done that (made Stars on Ice a sustained franchise) getting involved with skating events linked to the ISU. In my opinion, the skating federations have done such an incredibly poor job of marketing the sport, that some more commercially minded hands (and heads) are long overdue.

I doubt very much it will be "perfect" in year one. But what ever is? I for one am hoping this is a "success" - at least enough to bring more positives to the sport.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6