BEST and WORST LADIES Outfits. | Golden Skate

BEST and WORST LADIES Outfits.

jovani2293

On the Ice
So, Today was a pretty boring day for me so I spend most of the afternoon watching Ladies short, long, and exhibition programs. I realized that I would remember some program even if they weren't the best because of the dresses. So what do you think are the best short, long, and exhibition dresses and the worst short, long, and exhibition.:think:

Best Short: Yuna Kim 2008/2009
Best Long: Miki Ando 2007 Worlds ( I feel if it would have been black it would be even better)
Best Exhibition: Alissa Czisny 2009

Worst Short: Mao Asada 2010 Olympics and Worlds. What was she thinking
Worst Long: Oksana Baiul Olympics Long 1994
Worst Exhibition : I can't find one.

To your best list, I'd add Shizuka Arakawa's long program blue costume from the 2006 Olympics. I agree with your list of worst short and long, and I'd add Tara Lipinski's long program dress from the 1994 Olympics. Some skating writer describes it thus: "I am going to First Communion, and I intend to yodel."

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Anything Katarina Witt wore with her butt sticking out! Horrible.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Anything Katarina Witt wore with her butt sticking out! Horrible.

:laugh: Yeah, Kat had a few eye brow raisers. But I did like her for going out there with her costumes.

I have to agree with the OG poster about Oksana's long in 1994. Awful! It's the one that immediately comes to mind whenever I think of worst skating costumes, I guess because she won in it.

With the ladies, there are many many tasteful ones though. Michelle Kwan always looked lovely and Alissa has had some gorgeous costumes too. I especially liked her Audrey Hepburn outfit from 2007. And I though Yuna's 2010 costumes were stunning, especially James Bond.

jovani2293

On the Ice
To your best list, I'd add Shizuka Arakawa's long program blue costume from the 2006 Olympics. I agree with your list of worst short and long, and I'd add Tara Lipinski's long program dress from the 1994 Olympics. Some skating writer describes it thus: "I am going to First Communion, and I intend to yodel."

?????:confused:

skfan

Final Flight
:clap: :rock:

:clap: :rock:

For the worst, the ladies can't hold a candle to the ice dancers.

http://www.cbssports.com/u/photos/allsport/1999/nov/KrylovaOvsyannikov32699.jpg

uh, dom shabs with their faux savages 09-10 were far worse than this. i am not only saying that because i am a fan of krylova's :)

for me, best dress in ladies short was, czisny's 'korngold' white dress before the purple stripe. bonus points for it fitting the choreography perfectly. first runner up, MK's black dream of desdemona dress.

best long is, *sigh* czisny's long from the dr. zhivago year. she doesn't need vera wang, and she somehow always finds fake skin / illusion fabric that isn't 5 shades darker than her skin. why can't my beloved carolina kostner ever dress half as well as her? *kicks chair*

best dress for ladies long runner up: mao's first liebestraum dress from japan open 10-11 season. even with the somewhat visible fake skin i really liked that dress. great color, great design. i thought it heralded the end of the choker era, but she went back to the high neck look for the GP series and the rest of the season. the 2nd liebestraum dress is also very nice, just not as nice as the first one IMO.

2.angela nikodinov from the sleeping beauty season (00-01). 3.yeonah kim's lark ascending dress. 4.katia gordeeva's pink flower-like morning mood dress (ok, this wasn't from ISU competition)

best exhibition dress: hmm, i think my favorite was yeonah kim's 'only hope' dress. runners up: miki's first 'why do people fall in love' dress, mk's blue dante prayer dress, yeonah's black 'thais' dress

clear winner for worst: i really like baiul circa 94-96 but her 94 oly long dress with the pink shoulder fur looked like she stuck her arms through two pink tires. and kostner... not the worst i've seen from her, but what's with this year's long program dress having illusion fabric five shades darker than her skin?

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Ice dance isn't all bad in the costume department, I thought Meryl Davis' dress for the SD at Worlds was brilliant. Sumptuous without being over the top, and in really lovely colors.

Her FD dress is equally lovely, but in a different way. The dress is like a sparkling glass of dark wine, and the necklace brings it all together perfectly.

Also shoutouts to Nathalie Pechalat's SD dress. It has just the right amount of swirling appliqué and tassels, and love the details in her gloves, too. Plus, the cut of the dress really shows off how well-rounded her talent is. :biggrin:

I also got a kick out of Elena Ilinkynh's FD dress, tutu and all. It looks a bit weird at first, but it makes for dramatic pictures like this.

You could be right. Either way, not a milestone of style.

One of my favorite pairs ensembles was the simple attire worn by Sale and Pelletier for "Love Story" during the Olympics. I loved the casual grace of the outfits--they looked like street clothes, which heightened the sense of a narrative with characters--and I loved the smoky teal color.

skfan

Final Flight
I did a Google image search on "worst ice dancing costume of all time." D&S were displayed six times on the first page. :)

Does anyone like Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold dress?

Kristi Yamaguchi

Best: http://images.tvrage.com/people_galleries/35/103396/74673.jpg

Worst: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_gSUnvB1aFR0/SmstMQmSWJI/AAAAAAAADt4/YvP5Q212ZUQ/s400/kristi_yamaguchi3.jpg

woah. that's your worst? maybe that's the worst outfit kristi ever wore, because she was usually exquisitely dressed. but you know what? oksana baiul wore a dress that looked almost exactly like kristi's oly malaguena dress for 93 skate america, and i so prefer that to the pink tires atrocity she wore at 94 oly.

you're right, MK's FOG dress is very beautiful--it actually is far more beautiful than the more fussy lace dress for 'one more time'--even more than dante's prayer, now that i remember it--it seems to fit her personality as well as the song, IMHO.

anyway, my favorite kristi dress is the long sleeve deep red one she wore for 'silent night, holy night' during one of the holiday festival on ice. yes, i am too lazy to go google a picture. very brave of you to google worst ice dance costume of all time, btw :biggrin:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I guess you mean the 1998 olympics. that was her SP dress, the white with the blue bodice. I thought she looked great in it, very age appropriate and almost exactly like the dress the Anastasia character wore in the movie. Her LP dress (the blue with sparkles) was pretty too.

I personally hated Shizuka's LP dress for the olympics. It made her look wider than she is and the color and cut here just unflattering. The one she wore in 2004 was better, but showed too much butt.

Tinymavy, in all likelihood you're right about Tara's dress being age-appropriate and suitable to express the character of her program. I think that I retain less enthusiastic feelings about it because at the time, when she won, it looked as though she was the future of skating--that skating would henceforward belong to prepubescent girls who, being hipless, could do the jumps but had scant chance of expressing anything artistically mature (or, Heaven forbid, passionate!), because it would not be age-appropriate.

Looking forward to a yawning future of dear little girls in dear white dresses skating to "Little Women,' "Anastasia," or similar lace-covered narratives made me contemplate giving up skating fandom entirely. Nothing against Tara, but I wanted something more and different from skating. Then, thank goodness, Tara decided to move on, and it was Michelle who remained. I don't care that Michelle never won the gold. I am just grateful that I had another eight years of textured and intriguing programs, as well as some rather lovely costumes, to savor.

This may also explain why I am so enamored of Shizuka's rather queenly blue-on-blue dress from Torino. Feel free to disagree with every aspect of my list of faves! Variety is the spice of life.

Addendum: I agree with the bunch of you who cited Alissa's black-and-white Audrey Hepburn "Sabrina" costume.

anyway, my favorite kristi dress is the long sleeve deep red one she wore for 'silent night, holy night' during one of the holiday festival on ice.

Cutest Kristi dress was also from one of those Christmas specials -- maybe the same one. The red-with-white-fur-cuffs Santa Claus dress for Rudolph the Red-nosed reaindeer.

Unless, of course, it is the black and white tuxedo dress with pink petticoat that she wore for her jive on Dancing with the Stars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWM5UDybfAM

Bad Kristi dress: http://assets.usoc.org/assets/documents/attached_file/filename/4743/Kristi_Yamaguchi_web.jpg

skfan said:
very brave of you to google worst ice dance costume of all time, btw. :biggrin:

You nevre know what will turn up, that's for sure. I just Googled "Kristi Yamaguchi" and down at the bottom where is says, "people who searched for Kristi Yamaguchi also searched for..." -- one of the entries was "Kristi Yamaguchi feet." Are there people out there who are searching for pictures of Kristi Yamaguchi's feet? (Probably skating enthusiasts who are making sure she is on an outsude edge for her Lutz. :yes: )

Best costume. I can't believe I forgot Jenny Kirk, All that Jazz!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Jennifer_Kirk_2003_NHK_Trophy.jpg

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Kristi Yamaguchi revealed on Dancing with the Stars that she has club feet, people were searching for info regarding that.

Or foot fetishists.

Or both.

At the moment I'd pick Sasha's black and white Swan Lake costume. In general she was costumed to perfection and the dresses seemed like part of the programs--thus it's hard to choose one as the best costume (as opposed to the best program), but this one is pretty unique:
http://ursuspolaris.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/sasha_cohen_swan.jpg?w=450&h=338

In 2nd place for worst after Oksana's poodle outfit, I might put Irina's I heart you dress:
http://www.usfsa.org/event_story.asp?id=29331
She had pretty bad luck in costumes.

pista04

On the Ice
While I agree entirely with Czisny's Sabrina dress, and Sasha's Swan Lake dress, a close third would be, in my opinion, Kimmie Meissner's 2007 Long Program costume, both the initial one from Skate America with the gold ropes but also the following one that she wore at nationals. Both were so simple, yet so elegant.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DE66jWjE8X4/S11EvlE4kzI/AAAAAAAAAWM/CAt7JYL-0zk/s320/Kimmie.jpg

Meanwhile, my favorite Dance costumes will forever be Meryl and Davis' Samson et Delilah Costumes.

http://www.lifeskate.com/.a/6a00e54f7ecf2c8833010535ccb3b0970b-800wi

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the moment I'd pick Sasha's black and white Swan Lake costume. In general she was costumed to perfection and the dresses seemed like part of the programs--thus it's hard to choose one as the best costume (as opposed to the best program), but this one is pretty unique:
http://ursuspolaris.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/sasha_cohen_swan.jpg?w=450&h=338

I always thought Sasha's costumes were lovely. I especially like the swan costume and I saw her in it in person, the costume was gorgeous. The detail never showed up on tv.

Worst costume was Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovsky's 2003?? exhibition program. Terrible.

http://members.cox.net/dee4707/Chait & Sahn.jpg