Help identifying a Midori Ito vid | Golden Skate

Help identifying a Midori Ito vid

Help! I've been watching lots of Midori and am having trouble remembering which is which. There is a video of an LP where a commentator that I think is Toller Cranston is absolutely raving about her. The vid is poor quality but the commentary is great. Can anyone ID it for me? I didn't even note the year. Advance thanks!

That's it! Thank you so much, Doris. It is such a great tribute from one champion to another. Also, the camera angles are consistently good - some of the other recordings of the event manage to mask the size of her opening lutz and 3A. I wish the video weren't so grainy but you can't have everything.

Maybe someone can post in this thread about how the incomparable Midori did/does this weekend.

Was it 1990 Worlds? Toller could not have been more complimentary in his commentary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFBBjlYIew
1990 sp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG6lQ1-o9hw&feature=related
1990 lp (scherezade)

If you're a Midori fan, both of these videos are definitely keepers.

How spectacular. I just love watching this girl. There's an old Eleanor Powell movie called Born to Dance, and Ito was likewise born to skate. There was no one like her, and I don't think there's been anyone like her since. Her personality is so appealing as well; she's obviously rather humble and shy, not a showboater, and yet she has this amazingly brilliant talent that just pulls all eyes toward her. I also love Toller's graciousness in complimenting her. Doris, thanks for the links, and Spun Silver, thanks for starting the thread that gave us this topic.

Doris, you mentioned that these links are a must for any Midori fan. It occurs to me, who wouldn't be a Midori fan? I'm generally fonder of artistic skaters than those primarily known for their jumps, but she bewitches me as well. How could she not? She's a gift to skating, pure and simple.

Last edited:

champs

Final Flight
I don't like/agree with the comments on her 1989 OP neither by Cranston on the Canadian broadcast nor by the person who uploaded that version to YT. I find them both molding her to match their own liking.

silversprings77

Rinkside
This weekend I heard she placed second out of two to an American. Still...not bad for coming back and competing! Good for her!