Volosozhar and Trankov: A perfect match | Golden Skate

Volosozhar and Trankov: A perfect match

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In pair skating, coaches, judges and spectators are constantly looking for the perfect match. Sometimes it feels right the first time the skaters take each other by the hand and step onto the ice. Sometimes the magic is just there, and you can feel it when watching Russia's Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

More

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks. I am very impressed with this couple and I believe they will be very successful
leading up to the 2014 Olympics.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)This pairing was one of the most satisfying things to come out of last season. of course I'm very excited for their prospects...and I'd love to see them engage Zueva for some pairs choreo at some point..I wish I could have seen them skate the beautiful Scherezade choreo she did for the Zhangs ( who never really connected with it ) ...;)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It is funny to hear Maxim talk as if he and Maria were in a whole other league from Tatiana and Morozov, when referring to himself being coached by Morozov who he "always beat". In fact the career best World result of Volosozhar & Morozov is the same as Mukhortova & Trankov was. :laugh:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It is funny to hear Maxim talk as if he and Maria were in a whole other league from Tatiana and Morozov, when referring to himself being coached by Morozov who he "always beat". In fact the career best World result of Volosozhar & Morozov is the same as Mukhortova & Trankov was. :laugh:

Yeah, I think that was a little bit rude, the way Maxim talked about Stanislav. However, Stanislav was the weaker partner in his pair while Maxim was the stronger partner in his pair IMO so I guess there's some basis for him feeling some superiority.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Superior to Stas or not, he has Stas to thank for his new career =P

I really hope this pair stays with Nina Mozer. She seems to work well for them.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m probably of the few who really liked Maria M. and I m sorry she cannot find a steady partner now, but the new pairing is really exciting, I just hope they have better programs than their debut, in any case it was awesome they won in russia the silver, a great moment of worlds.
Thank you a lot for article. :)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I dislike Maria M or if I dislike M/T. It was clear they weren't good together, no matter how much success they had.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if I dislike Maria M or if I dislike M/T. It was clear they weren't good together, no matter how much success they had.

I thought that M/T were good together. Their problem was lack of consistency and not difficulty enough choregraphy. But together they had lovely lines and look on the ice.

I think V/T are better/more potential because Tatiana is the better skater and can show more emotion than Maria. Plus Tatiana/Max seem to get along better. But I don't think M/T were a bad pair by any means, and I think they are a pair that would have continued to climb in the rankings.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think early on in their careers (around the time they worked with Moskvina) they just weren't mature enough.
Later, when they trained with Vasiliev - the trio just did not work. Much as it worked for the Totmianina-Marinin-Vasiliev trio, it did not work for Mukhortova-Trankov-Vasiliev.
Also, Vasiliev's explanations as to why Mukhortova/ Blanchard got permanently dissolved seemed like a complete BS to me. Seemed more like he just lost interest...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I thought that M/T were good together. Their problem was lack of consistency and not difficulty enough choregraphy. But together they had lovely lines and look on the ice.

I think V/T are better/more potential because Tatiana is the better skater and can show more emotion than Maria. Plus Tatiana/Max seem to get along better. But I don't think M/T were a bad pair by any means, and I think they are a pair that would have continued to climb in the rankings.

I'm more referring to their relationship, which I think would've limited their growth overall. I certainly don't think they would've continued to climb the rankings in any meaningful way either (ie, WC contender) - I expect B/L would've overtaken them.

They did have a nice look on the ice, though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Mukhortova & Trankov seemed to peak in 2009-2010 and they still didnt medal in any of the major events:

Grand Prix final- 4th (only pair to do 2 clean programs and still came 4th)
Olympics- 7th
Worlds- 4th

I am not sure if they were going to continue to climb or not.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I'm more referring to their relationship, which I think would've limited their growth overall. I certainly don't think they would've continued to climb the rankings in any meaningful way either (ie, WC contender) - I expect B/L would've overtaken them.

They did have a nice look on the ice, though.

M/T's problem for a lot of years was Maria's inability to land jumps consistently. But Maria was actaully getting better about it. Vera has similar problems with jumps, and I think Trankov is MUCH better than Vera's partner.

I think M/T would have eventually been on the world podium, and maybe even further than that seeing as P/T, S/S were older and K/S have so many injury problems.

This being said V/T have more potential.

Mukhortova & Trankov seemed to peak in 2009-2010 and they still didnt medal in any of the major events:

Grand Prix final- 4th (only pair to do 2 clean programs and still came 4th)
Olympics- 7th
Worlds- 4th

I am not sure if they were going to continue to climb or not.

K/S placing ahead of M/T at Worlds was controversial. M/T didn't skate well at the Olympics, and one of the teams that placed ahead of them at the GPF retired. M/T had been climbing the rankings for awhile, and I think they would have been on the world podium eventually.

mousepotato

On the Ice
In pair skating, coaches, judges and spectators are constantly looking for the perfect match. Sometimes it feels right the first time the skaters take each other by the hand and step onto the ice. Sometimes the magic is just there, and you can feel it when watching Russia's Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

More

Very nice article. :biggrin:

K/S placing ahead of M/T at Worlds was controversial.

Not sure what was controversial about it K/S were just better in both segments of the competition. Worlds FS side by side comparison

I hope Maria can find a suitable partner soon; she seemed to have just fallen off the face of the earth.