Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Volosozhar and Trankov: A perfect match

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,554

    News Volosozhar and Trankov: A perfect match

    In pair skating, coaches, judges and spectators are constantly looking for the perfect match. Sometimes it feels right the first time the skaters take each other by the hand and step onto the ice. Sometimes the magic is just there, and you can feel it when watching Russia's Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Awesome. Thank you.

  3. #3
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,046
    Thanks. I am very impressed with this couple and I believe they will be very successful
    leading up to the 2014 Olympics.

  4. #4
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784
    This pairing was one of the most satisfying things to come out of last season. of course I'm very excited for their prospects...and I'd love to see them engage Zueva for some pairs choreo at some point..I wish I could have seen them skate the beautiful Scherezade choreo she did for the Zhangs ( who never really connected with it ) ...

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    It is funny to hear Maxim talk as if he and Maria were in a whole other league from Tatiana and Morozov, when referring to himself being coached by Morozov who he "always beat". In fact the career best World result of Volosozhar & Morozov is the same as Mukhortova & Trankov was.

  6. #6
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It is funny to hear Maxim talk as if he and Maria were in a whole other league from Tatiana and Morozov, when referring to himself being coached by Morozov who he "always beat". In fact the career best World result of Volosozhar & Morozov is the same as Mukhortova & Trankov was.
    Yeah, I think that was a little bit rude, the way Maxim talked about Stanislav. However, Stanislav was the weaker partner in his pair while Maxim was the stronger partner in his pair IMO so I guess there's some basis for him feeling some superiority.

  7. #7
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,080
    Superior to Stas or not, he has Stas to thank for his new career =P

    I really hope this pair stays with Nina Mozer. She seems to work well for them.

  8. #8
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    I m probably of the few who really liked Maria M. and I m sorry she cannot find a steady partner now, but the new pairing is really exciting, I just hope they have better programs than their debut, in any case it was awesome they won in russia the silver, a great moment of worlds.
    Thank you a lot for article.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    I'm not sure if I dislike Maria M or if I dislike M/T. It was clear they weren't good together, no matter how much success they had.

  10. #10
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm not sure if I dislike Maria M or if I dislike M/T. It was clear they weren't good together, no matter how much success they had.
    I thought that M/T were good together. Their problem was lack of consistency and not difficulty enough choregraphy. But together they had lovely lines and look on the ice.

    I think V/T are better/more potential because Tatiana is the better skater and can show more emotion than Maria. Plus Tatiana/Max seem to get along better. But I don't think M/T were a bad pair by any means, and I think they are a pair that would have continued to climb in the rankings.

  11. #11
    Forum translator Ptichka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,430
    I think early on in their careers (around the time they worked with Moskvina) they just weren't mature enough.
    Later, when they trained with Vasiliev - the trio just did not work. Much as it worked for the Totmianina-Marinin-Vasiliev trio, it did not work for Mukhortova-Trankov-Vasiliev.
    Also, Vasiliev's explanations as to why Mukhortova/ Blanchard got permanently dissolved seemed like a complete BS to me. Seemed more like he just lost interest...

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I thought that M/T were good together. Their problem was lack of consistency and not difficulty enough choregraphy. But together they had lovely lines and look on the ice.

    I think V/T are better/more potential because Tatiana is the better skater and can show more emotion than Maria. Plus Tatiana/Max seem to get along better. But I don't think M/T were a bad pair by any means, and I think they are a pair that would have continued to climb in the rankings.
    I'm more referring to their relationship, which I think would've limited their growth overall. I certainly don't think they would've continued to climb the rankings in any meaningful way either (ie, WC contender) - I expect B/L would've overtaken them.

    They did have a nice look on the ice, though.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I thought that M/T were good together. Their problem was lack of consistency and not difficulty enough choregraphy. But together they had lovely lines and look on the ice.

    I think V/T are better/more potential because Tatiana is the better skater and can show more emotion than Maria. Plus Tatiana/Max seem to get along better. But I don't think M/T were a bad pair by any means, and I think they are a pair that would have continued to climb in the rankings.
    Mukhortova & Trankov seemed to peak in 2009-2010 and they still didnt medal in any of the major events:

    Grand Prix final- 4th (only pair to do 2 clean programs and still came 4th)
    Olympics- 7th
    Worlds- 4th

    I am not sure if they were going to continue to climb or not.

  14. #14
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I'm more referring to their relationship, which I think would've limited their growth overall. I certainly don't think they would've continued to climb the rankings in any meaningful way either (ie, WC contender) - I expect B/L would've overtaken them.

    They did have a nice look on the ice, though.
    M/T's problem for a lot of years was Maria's inability to land jumps consistently. But Maria was actaully getting better about it. Vera has similar problems with jumps, and I think Trankov is MUCH better than Vera's partner.

    I think M/T would have eventually been on the world podium, and maybe even further than that seeing as P/T, S/S were older and K/S have so many injury problems.

    This being said V/T have more potential.

    Mukhortova & Trankov seemed to peak in 2009-2010 and they still didnt medal in any of the major events:

    Grand Prix final- 4th (only pair to do 2 clean programs and still came 4th)
    Olympics- 7th
    Worlds- 4th

    I am not sure if they were going to continue to climb or not.
    K/S placing ahead of M/T at Worlds was controversial. M/T didn't skate well at the Olympics, and one of the teams that placed ahead of them at the GPF retired. M/T had been climbing the rankings for awhile, and I think they would have been on the world podium eventually.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    In pair skating, coaches, judges and spectators are constantly looking for the perfect match. Sometimes it feels right the first time the skaters take each other by the hand and step onto the ice. Sometimes the magic is just there, and you can feel it when watching Russia's Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov.

    More
    Very nice article.

    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    K/S placing ahead of M/T at Worlds was controversial.
    Not sure what was controversial about it K/S were just better in both segments of the competition. Worlds FS side by side comparison

    I hope Maria can find a suitable partner soon; she seemed to have just fallen off the face of the earth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •