Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to Resume His Eligibility to skate ISU Competitions

let`s talk

Match Penalty
To those who are interested in, in October 2011 paper issue the International Figure Skating magazine will publish the interview of Plushenko by T. Flade that took place in July, I believe. The digital version of the said magazine has been already sent to suscribers, and they kindly shared the information with the community. All the stuff can be found on the Plush official site, the forum section "Everything about Evgeni/Press about Evgeni." :cool:

silverpond

On the Ice
Unfortunately, I have never enjoyed his skating. He did do big jumps which to me are not artistic but certainly valid on the tech side. The pompous air about him attracted a lot of screaming girls, which I believe made the judges nervous. Those scores in the 2006 Olys were so over the top in general, although his competitors were not much better. It was as if the judges were ensuring his win in case another competitor would skate better. For me, He won that Oly which was probably the worst contest I have ever seen. He tried again in 2010 but lost to a skater who had no Quad but had all the other point gatherings of the CoP.

Competitors of today, not only have varied Quads but have all the point gatherings as well. He will judge before hand and decide not to compete against them.

I believe retired skaters have a right to come back for a last hurrah but that does not mean I am anxious to see them again. Some, I do. Plushenko, no.

Joe, I agree with you concerning Plushenko. I never enjoyed his competitive or exhibition programs. Yes, of course, he has a huge arsenal of quads and triples in his repertoire, but that in itself does not make for great programs. If you look between his jumps, there's not a lot happening - little musical expression, choreography, and/or artistry. His rather arrogant persona borders on obnoxious, IMHO. Why teenage girls go ga-ga over him is beyond me, but then I'm not exactly a teenager any longer.

His nasty remarks about Lysacek's victory at Vancouver - "No quad, no senior-level skater, etc" were unworthy of an Olympic competitor. Plushenko delivered a quad in his long program, and it looked as though he nearly fell on his butt in doing so. All of his jumps had "rocky" landings, and he looked more like a cat springing around the rink than an elite figure skater. Ouch - sorry for the critical comments, ladies and gentlemen.

Have we considered that perhaps he is also under pressure from the Russian Skating Federation (or whatever the official name is of his country's skating organization) to compete in 2014, as the Games will be held in Russia? Also, will this result in yet another horribly mangled judging decision (shades of Salt Lake City) in which TWO gold medals will be awarded? Yeech.

On a lighter note -- has anyone noticed the resemblance between Plushenko and the long-haired blond member of "Celtic Thunder?" This guy has an aloof manner while he performs, yet he also shows personality, and when he's interviewed with the rest of the group, it's obvious he's friendly and is delighted to be a member of the troupe. :biggrin:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I will try to get that magazine!

I just want to say as a I always say I don't care about programs that win gold in 2010 that are quadless. Who cares about that nonsense? It was 2010 there should have been the goal of completing a quad like Takahashi had that goal. Fall by Takahashi or a little sloppy by Plusheko was gold worthy. Not an 1980's all triple program with no courage or guts or ambition or boldness.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
His nasty remarks about Lysacek's victory at Vancouver - "No quad, no senior-level skater, etc" were unworthy of an Olympic competitor.
Why nasty if a year later all elite senior-level skaters did or at least tried to land a quad? They wouldn't do that if the quad remark was nasty.
On a lighter note -- has anyone noticed the resemblance between Plushenko and the long-haired blond member of "Celtic Thunder?" This guy has an aloof manner while he performs, yet he also shows personality, and when he's interviewed with the rest of the group, it's obvious he's friendly and is delighted to be a member of the troupe. :biggrin:
No way! The dude doesn't carry a brand nose! :biggrin: