Ashley Wagner changes coaches to John Nicks | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner changes coaches to John Nicks

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The article by Amy Rosewater was published on Icenetwork today (link can't be posted here in The Edge).

Key quotes:
Nicks said day one went well, but called this period "the honeymoon." His top goal for Wagner, who placed third at nationals in 2008 and 2010 but dropped to sixth this year, is for her to "finally reach her full potential." By that, he said he means for her to push the envelope with both her artistic and technical skating.

"Often you get the athlete who is very athletic or very artistic but you don't often get both," Nicks said. "Ashley seems to have a good blend. Now I want her priority to be her training."
"This is all completely new to me," Wagner said. "It's going to be 100 percent skating, skating, skating. I know he's tough, but I'm going out there, and I want someone who is going to kick my butt into shape."

ETA link to the official USFS press release, also published today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46246&type=media
(6/14/11) - Ashley Wagner announced today she will begin training with John Nicks and Phillip Mills at the Aliso Viejo Ice Palace in Aliso Viejo, Calif. Wagner spent the last three years being coached by Priscilla Hill at the Skating Club of Wilmington in Wilmington, Del.
"We are excited to work with an established elite athlete such as Ashley," Mills said. "She comes from a solid coaching background. We want to help her continue to develop her aggressiveness and consistency as she heads into the upcoming season."

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
The article by Amy Rosewater was published on Icenetwork today (link can't be posted here in The Edge).

Key quotes:

ETA link to the official USFS press release, also published today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46246&type=media

Thanks for the link Sylvia.

Sometimes a skater needs to make a change just to get their competitive juices flowing again.

I have read a few comments that Mr Nicks can't teach tech - ha, he was doing it before those posters were even born :)

In the case of Ashley, how many of us have wondered that despite having the talent something seems to be missing. It's like her skating/presentation doesn't stand out.

I can't think of too many coaches who can help a skater show something distinctive and charmimg on the ice ice the way Mr Nicks can.

Wishing the best for Ashley and I always feel like "I almost love her but not quite."

Maybe this new collaboration will be good for Ashley and it feels like she has nothing to lose and everything to gain with this coaching change.

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm pretty excited to see that Ashley is still very serious about competing! She's still the one skater that I root for above anyone else. I'm mostly excited to hear that Mills is her choreograph again; I LOVED what he did for Ashley's SP in the 2008-2009 season (the 'Somewhere in Time' program)!